Notary Rotary
Hotmail & AOL Friends
Notary Discussion History

Hotmail & AOL Friends
Go Back to December, 2004 Index

Posted by BrendaTX on 12/28/04 2:49pm
Msg #14628

Hotmail & AOL Friends

Tell me what is happening here when people subscribe to my email list.

If you have aol.com, or hotmail.com the auto-responder might bounce as spam, ok...got that...however, if I try to email you directly I am also getting this message.

Could your email box be full??

If you expect to get something from me and you don't this may be why.

Here is what I am getting in my email regularly from Hotmail and Aol accounts.
-------------------
A copy of your message is being returned to you due to difficulties encountered while attempting to deliver your mail.

Very often people attempt to send mail to USERIDs, which are not known to this particular system.

The following errors occurred during message delivery processing:

<smtpbyuser [e-mail address] [e-mail address] 99>: ...\
expired after 1 min, problem was:
smtp; 500 (Server hung up on us! Cmd: MAIL From:<[e-mail address]>)

Reply by Terri - CA on 12/28/04 6:03pm
Msg #14658

Brenda

Quite possibly (although I'm just guessing) it's your ISP that's not sending the mail, or maybe even mail to hotmail & aol from your ISP is being blocked. This is just a suggestion, not the solution.

This has happened to me using my verizon account. Some ISP's wouldn't accept any mail from anyone using verizon.net. It's my belief that is because spammers had been spamming using verizon.net accounts. Slowly, that problem went away.

Terri
Lancaster, CA

Reply by colorless/ on 12/28/04 8:31pm
Msg #14684

Re: Hotmail & AOL Friends

Reply by colorless/AZ on 12/28/04 8:39pm
Msg #14685

My account has a spam protection on it. I got notified by the "Spam control" that I had received a "possible" spam e-mail. I had to go to a different location to look at the possible spam, it was your e-mail. There were boxes to check "send to my mailbox" "delete" "except e-mail from this sender/IP address from now on."

If the people you sent e-mail to don't know to go to this "other place" to check out their "spam" they may not have known it was your e-mail. If they had a mountain of spam e-mail, they may have erased the first one you sent, without realizing, and now the server is SURE that YOU are spam and rejects you out of hand. I don't know how to correct that last one. For the others, they just need to check their spam holder.

Reply by BrendaTX on 12/28/04 9:07pm
Msg #14691

Many thanks!

Colorless, some of them actually give me that link, but I believe that one is Earthlink.

Your post sounds like the problem does have an answer...but just not one I can fix. :(

Reply by BarbaraL_CA on 12/28/04 9:13pm
Msg #14692

I'm not an expert on this even though my previous career was IT and Telecommunications. However, an SMTP error code of 500 is a "syntax error" ... generic explanation, huh? From my brief research I found that it could be that the server does not support SMTP extensions, or that a command line is too long (like subject line), or the server only supports certain characters (an underscore _ is usually the culprit that is not supported). Autoresponder emails are usually detected as spam and will be bounced if the receiving server thinks that is the case. Autoresponders rarely use the same outgoing server as your isp. So with all that said.... who knows? Can you send an email directly to the user? If not try using a different email address for you - like yahoo or something.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.