Notary Rotary
I'm bored
Notary Discussion History

I'm bored
Go Back to December, 2004 Index

Posted by HisHughness on 12/30/04 6:21pm
Msg #15056

I'm bored

Since we have pretty well covered split infinitives, anybody interested in discussing the present perfect tense?

Which reminds me of the tourist who was making his first trip to Boston. He wanted to get some of the famous Bost seafood, so he climbed into a taxi and asked the driver, "Where can I get scrod?" The driver looked perplexed for a moment, then replied, "You know, I must have heard that question a thousand times, but that's the first time I've ever heard it put in the pluperfect subjunctive."

Reply by Ted_MI on 12/30/04 8:03pm
Msg #15067

heh Hugh,

I must admit that I am not really that well versed as to the present perfect tense, but can talk knowledgely about false cognates (in Spanish). I suppose the classic example is the woman feeling embarrassed who blurts out "yo estoy muy embarasada", not realizing that she is announcing to the world that she is rather pregnant.

Reply by HisHughness on 12/30/04 8:29pm
Msg #15075

Ted_MI claims:

***I can talk knowledgely about false cognates (in Spanish). I suppose the classic example is the woman feeling embarrassed who blurts out "yo estoy muy embarasada", not realizing that she is announcing to the world that she is rather pregnant.***

Ted, you are sooooo full of it! What do you think we are, a bunch of rubes? We all know that a false cognate is a phony French liqueur.

Reply by PAW Notary Services on 12/30/04 8:03pm
Msg #15068

His grammatical correctness asserted: "Since we have pretty well covered split infinitives, anybody interested in discussing the present perfect tense?"

About as much as I would like to discuss dangling participles. Or conjugating any verbs in any language.

To quote Winston Churchill (commonly accepted as the author): "This is the kind of thing up with which I will not put!"

Grammar test... Which of the following is correct:

Three and four IS eight

-or-

Three and four ARE eight.

Reply by HisHughness on 12/30/04 8:31pm
Msg #15076

Paul smugly queries:

***Grammar test... Which of the following is correct:

Three and four IS eight

-or-

Three and four ARE eight.***

Paul, who are you trying to trick? The answer to that is obvious even to my 5-year-old grandson. 3 and 4 ARE 34.

Reply by Anonymous on 12/31/04 5:30am
Msg #15086

Your five year old is smarter than me. I thought the answer was 7!

Reply by colorless/ on 12/31/04 5:38pm
Msg #15128

Re: I'm bored

Reply by lawrence/Ok on 12/30/04 8:32pm
Msg #15077

Yep! you folks are definitely bored.

Reply by carlosnyc on 12/31/04 12:29am
Msg #15084

Can sombody please find Huge a rich women??????? LOL

Reply by Dennis D Broadbooks on 12/31/04 5:47am
Msg #15087

Which Begs the Question...

...should it be

#1. "find Huge a rich women"? or
#2. "find Huge some rich women"?

I believe Sir Hugh would prefer the latter no matter how you conjugate the verb. Or should that be "conjugal"? No, Hugh wants nothing to do with marriage at the moment. Whatever!

Smiley

Reply by maureen/nh on 12/31/04 6:51am
Msg #15088

Re: Which Begs the Question...

Hugh should pay heed to another gentleman who loved often and well.

"My dear Friend, I know of no Medicine fit to diminish the violent natural Inclinations you mention; and if I did, I think I should not communicate it to you. Marriage is the proper Remedy. It is the most natural State of Man, and therefore the State in which you are most likely to find solid Happiness. Your Reasons against entring into it at present, appear to me not well-founded. The circumstantial Advantages you have in View by postponing it, are not only uncertain, but they are small in comparison with that of the Thing itself, the being married and settled. It is the Man and Woman united that make the compleat human Being. Separate, she wants his Force of Body and Strength of Reason; he, her Softness, Sensibility and acute Discernment. Together they are more likely to succeed in the World. A single Man has not nearly the Value he would have in that State of Union. He is an incomplete Animal. He resembles the odd Half of a Pair of Scissars. If you get a prudent healthy Wife, your Industry in your Profession, with her good Economy, will be a Fortune sufficient."--Ben Franklin

Reply by BrendaTX on 12/31/04 10:23am
Msg #15101

I agree, Maureen, Benny Frank, as he might be called if he were from East Texas Smiley was quite the lover of ladies.

Reply by HisHughness on 12/31/04 11:17am
Msg #15103

Taking advice from Benjamin Franklin on marriage is about like taking advice from Scott Peterson on how to be popular.

Reply by colorless/AZ on 12/31/04 5:51pm
Msg #15130

You gals got so caught up in the sweet talk, you didn't notice the disclaimer?

Ben's disclaimer:

"If you get a **prudent** **healthy** Wife, your Industry in your Profession, with her good Economy, will be a Fortune sufficient."--Ben Franklin

Sounds like a "low maintenance" and "young and hot" to me.

Reply by maureen/nh on 1/1/05 12:12am
Msg #15147

And they loved him back. Ben did a lot for the patriot cause in the drawing rooms of France.

Reply by HisHughness on 1/1/05 12:29am
Msg #15148

Patriotism? THAT'S the secret? C'mere, girls; wanna hear me sing "The Star Spangled Banner"? Recite "The Pledge of Allegiance"? How about "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that not all men are created equal to His Hughness, that not all men are endowed..." well, you get the idea.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.