Notary Rotary
SS in sentence
Notary Discussion History

SS in sentence
Go Back to December, 2004 Index

Posted by Anonymous on 12/17/04 9:55am
Msg #13899

SS in sentence

Some docs have SS right after state and city in the sentence where I Notarize. Do I put the signing service name there or nothing?

Reply by BrendaTX on 12/17/04 10:10am
Msg #13905

Put nothing.

Reply by MNgoldie on 12/17/04 10:16am
Msg #13906

From Van Alstyne's Notary Public Encyclopedia: The S.S. is the abreviation of the Latin word, "scilicet," meaning "to wit" or "that is to say." In notarial services, the only appearance of the S.S. is in the venue portion of the certificate. The S.S. is not required fior the certificate to be valid. It is merely a decorative adornment of no substantive value to the notarization.

The S.S. does NOT stand for signing service or the signer's or notary's social security number!

Reply by Anonymous on 12/17/04 10:22am
Msg #13907

Thanks to both of you.

Ron/VA

Reply by HisHughness on 12/17/04 11:01am
Msg #13914

"SS" is an abbrievation for the Latin "scilicet," which translated means ""that is to say." It is somewhat analgous to the much more common "i.e.", which is the abbreviation for the Latin "that is." It directs the reader from the general to the specific, as in, "Texas comprises many regions: SS, Longhorn country, home of the hairy chest and soaring intellect; the Red Raider corral, defined primarily by the lingering aroma of horse manure; Bear country, a region that even as we speak is plunging headlong into the 19th Century; and Aggieland, where most guys' dates for the Senior Prom come with their own built-in wool coat if shearing season has not yet arrived."

My computer keeps limping along, so I continue to be able to post.

Reply by FeFe/Indy on 6/16/05 9:22am
Msg #45099

Re: SS in sentence ?

I was told by the NNA that since SS means NAMELY, you can put in the CITY where the signing takes place if you WANT to do that, or you can leave it BLANK.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.