Notary Rotary
Should I charge for this?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to December, 2004 Index

Posted by Ali-IL on 12/17/04 11:48pm
Msg #13987

I am a spanish speaking loan signing agent. I get calls from services because borrower has requested a spanish speaking notary. I end up spending more time with them explaining documents to them. I was thinking that maybe I should charge more for interpreting. How about another $10 to my fee.

Reply by DarleneAZ on 12/18/04 12:00am
Msg #13989

If it were me, I would charge an additional $25.00 for your services. Being bilingual is an asset and if the supply is low and the demand is high, you should have no problems adding an additional fee as it takes more time.

JMHO

Reply by Elizabeth Atwood on 12/18/04 12:38am
Msg #13995

Just curious what would you ask not being biingual

Reply by Roger/OH on 12/18/04 9:51am
Msg #14003

You probably don't have a lot of competition with bilingual SAs in your area; I'd say you could increase your normal fee by $20 for the specialized extra service you're providing when doing signings in Spanish. I don't think the ss will have much choice!

Reply by Ted_MI on 12/18/04 7:36pm
Msg #14062

Hi Ali,

I am a Spanish-speaking notary also. I was told by someone who called me that there are only three of us in Michigan that speak Spanish. So there are not too many of us. I agree with I believe it was Darlene who suggested an extra $25 bucks. I think that is reasonable.

Reply by Anonymous on 12/19/04 5:14pm
Msg #14117

You are providing a valuable service. $25.00 minimum to $50.00 maximum is reasonable. It is not just the notarizations and travel, but the availability of a bi-lingual agent.

Reply by Darlene Rice on 10/5/06 9:01am
Msg #150435

Sorry guys I disagree. Yes spanish is an asset and it is one of the reasons why I hire notaries, just like any other job that asks on an application if you speak any other language. But would you expect to get paid a higher pay rate at a regular job. If I have a two tray printer should I get paid more than you. Putting spanish on my profile got me more calls. I actually speak enough to barely get though a closing, so I did not put it to begin with. But because my mom does I take her as a witness on those. Two years ago my business increase due to this so yes it is an asset, do I charge more no. And as for competition maybe in certain areas but in Florida there are tons of spanish speaking notaries. Think about what you charge, times are tight and title companies are not paying top fee because they know there is someone else out there that will do it for less. Its not rocket science with what we do, if you have someone that pays attention and asks questions the job is almost as simple as asking if you want fries with that.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.