Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Sorry...My Enter Key just jumped in there...
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to December, 2004 Index

Posted by Anonymous on 12/29/04 5:56pm
Msg #14906

I got a call from a SS that I did a signing for on Monday and he said that the title company had to change something on the DOT and also another document. He asked me if I could send an all-purpose acknowledgement for this other document. I asked him what the document was and he said he couldn't remember but he thought it was the Limited POA Agreement. I asked him if the title company isn't just supposed to re-draw a corrected document and send it to the borrower to have signed and notarized again. He said the error was clerical and therefore didn't need to be re-signed because that's what the POA Agreement is for. I understand that but I don't know that I feel comfortable just sending an acknowledgement by itself to them. I asked him for the name and number of someone at the title company and he didn't give it to me...he said he'd call them and ask for sure which document it was. Any thoughts on this? Would you send the ack?

Reply by PAW Notary Services on 12/29/04 6:35pm
Msg #14910

Check your state notary laws concerning corrections to documents after they are signed, sealed and delivered. In Florida, no changes can be made. Therefore the original or modified documents would need to be returned to you and then you would have to have the borrowers resign (for a jurat) or re-acknowledge their signature (for an acknowledgment) and a NEW certificate (with the proper and current date) would have to be provided.

NEVER, NEVER send a loose certificate that could be attached to anything. You should receive the original document(s) back to validate the signatures and the notarial certificate(s) and follow the prescribed process for corrections.

Reply by Anonymous on 12/29/04 6:38pm
Msg #14911

Thank you. That's what I thought and I knew that but I've never had anyone ask me to do that so I was starting to second-guess myself. I appreciate the feedback.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.