Notary Rotary
What do you think about this? Please Read And Respond
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to December, 2004 Index

Posted by ItsMe123 on 12/21/04 8:38pm
Msg #14285

I have a signing tomorrow at noon which I accepted Monday. The SS is on Pacific time and I am on Eastern (3 hours difference) as is the lender. The docs are to be overnighted to me by UPS. My confirmation states a HUD will be sent to me. I call the SS at 8:30pm my time today (night before signing) stating I have no HUD and ask if they have a tracking number for the docs. She calls back with tracking number and emails HUD. She states in call there is a tax affi. that needs to be done but that she can't get it from lender due to format and only call center at lender is open as they too are in eastern time. I look up tracking number for docs and see they are being sent standard overnight by UPS and just left lender at 5:30pm. (lender is in PA and I am in MI) There is no way they will be here before noon. I call borrower to see if we can move back appointment in the day, he says he needs to sign before noon or just at noon or after 9:00pm at night and states "I have to get this done," He is angry with me that I can't get there before noon. He also states he told lender he needed to sign before noon but that they scheduled at noon as that was the time I would have the docs. I generally get my docs from UPS around 2pm. I tell him that I don't have the docs and am the whim of UPS.

I call SS back and advise them I don't think I will get docs on time for him to sign with his schedule and she says, "well you need to call lender first thing in the morning to get the tax aff. (that she is unable to pull) and you can see if they will email docs also. I tell her I have other signings and why doesn't she follow/chase docs (that she is getting paid for also). She says well, you are on Eastern time as is lender and why should she have to get up at 4:30 in the morning and when she comes in the whole signing should be completed. She says I can contact lender first thing in morning, 8AM, give them the order number find out if I need the tax aff. and and arrange e mail docs if UPS has not delivered them. (like I am going to know at 8AM if they will be here by 11AM. She mentions, of course, They will pay for e-docs.
Then she says, "Are you trying to get out of this?" I am very angry as now I will be chasing docs all morning when I have other committments and obiviously after her last comment I feel the relationship has broken down. What do you think? Do you think I am being unreasonable. The pay is only 65.00 as it was just a ship docs to me and drive 5 miles for the job, get them sign and drop them. Waht would you do?

Reply by BrendaTX on 12/21/04 9:52pm
Msg #14289

If someone says something like this, my experience is that there is usually a good reason for it and they are trying to foist the blame over on you because they know this.

>>>Then she says, "Are you trying to get out of this?"<<<

Otherwise - your problems are

(1) Without eDocs - cannot get docs to Bwr by Bwr's deadline - he's already angry

(2) Need to get tax aff - but what difference does it make if you cannot get docs

IF IT WERE ME...
I'd call the lender at 8 am, tell them I loved them, wanted to give them a big hug and all, but nonetheless, I needed them to call their borrower and square him away OR send me the docs via edocs so that I could get there on time. And, get the tax aff to me as well. Otherwise, no can do.

I have had this same situation from a lender in PA-- sounds like the same situation.
You can email me and I will tell you which one it was, if it matters to you. However, the SS was the one I told the above - however, if you have the permission to call the lender, so much the better.

This worked for me.

Reply by NJ Notary on 12/21/04 10:59pm
Msg #14291

Can't they fax or e-mail you the affadavit? This is crazy. If they can't get the docs to you in time it's their fault. I would still go to the signing with whatever papers you have and get them signed. If the loan doesn't close, it's because of their inability to provide you with the correct documentation. You ARE NOT responsible.

...just my feeling on the matter.

Reply by Elizabeth Atwood on 12/22/04 1:40am
Msg #14297

Geez- I read all you wrote only to find out you accepted $65!!

Reply by CaliNotary on 12/22/04 2:24am
Msg #14302

$65 for a signing that's only 5 miles away? That's quite a reasonable fee for that kind of assignment.

Reply by CarolynCO on 12/22/04 8:10am
Msg #14313

And for overnight docs, as well.

Reply by BrendaTX on 12/22/04 10:28am
Msg #14322

Itsme123 did say "She mentions, of course, They will pay for e-docs." So, as far as $65 fee, wouldn't that mean that the amount would go up with edocs?

Reply by CarolynCO on 12/22/04 5:45pm
Msg #14355

The $65 rate would definitely go up for me for e-docs. I'll have to go back and see what I was responding to.

Reply by CarolynCO on 12/22/04 6:09pm
Msg #14356

Brenda asks me "She mentions, of course, They will pay for e-docs." So, as far as $65 fee, wouldn't that mean that the amount would go up with edocs?"

Okay, I went back and reread the original post of $65 and why I posted like I did was actually in reference to Elizabeth's post re the $65 signing. Now, had the plan gone as expected and ALL the docs received overnight, then I think the $65 for a 5 mile signing is more than fair price.

However, since nothing usually goes as planned, I don't actually know how I would arrive at an invoice charge for this particular case. I know for a fact, that I wouldn't have been calling back and forth to the lender regarding the missing doc(s) unless they were paying me directly, and at a higher base rate than $65 SS rate. That should have been the SS's responsiblity to contact the lender. I also don't know why UPS doesn't deliver until afternoon. If that's the case, I would definitely advise to overnight by means of FedEx. I also would not be taking the grief the borrower was dishing out because of the lenders failure to include all the docs in the overnight package and my inability to do the signing because of it. So in essence, in this particular case, I'd be looking at a base overnight fee plus fax/e-mail/printing charges for missing docs plus numerous phone calls to SS, borrower and lender. I guess I would also have to go back and reread the original post to see if it says all these calls were long distance or through an 800 number. Even if they were through an 800 number, you have to consider your time which should not be free.

Reply by CaliNotary on 12/22/04 2:21am
Msg #14301

I think you're taking way too much of the responsibility upon yourself. It's not our job to jump through hoops to track down all of the documents. It's a little unusual that you receive your UPS overnight docs so late in the day, but if that's the case so be it.

What I would do is simply call and leave a voice message for the lender. I'd say that there's a good chance you won't have the docs by noon (make sure you stress that the UPS delivery schedule is something you have no control over), that you tried to reschedule with the borrower but he was unavailable and the only way you can guarantee that you'll make the signing is if you receive edocs. Then ask them to call you to let you know how to proceed. None of this is your fault, none of it is within your control so don't stress about it. If they can get the docs to you, do the signing. If they can't, let them worry about finding somebody else to do the signing.

Reply by BrendaKhan on 12/22/04 10:48am
Msg #14324

In my opinion your rate is correct and adding on for edocs if that is how they are coming.

You having to contact the lender however is something the SS should be doing, and yes that is what they are taking their cut of the fees for doing. It is their resposibility to get all the docs to you so that you may conduct your services on your end.

If you do not get the docs prior to having to leave for the confirmed appointment, I would call the SS first tell them no docs and then call the borrower and inform them of why you will not be coming at the confirmed appointment time and ask the borrower to contact the lender.

This business of waiting and running after docs has to stop especially when a SS is involved. We get paid to bring the docs to the borrower, execute them correctly and return them ASAP. This is how I run my business and this is just how I would handle this situation. BK-FL

Reply by Nicole_NCali on 12/22/04 1:31pm
Msg #14332

Re: I agree so much with you

I think that the ss should be coordinating this with the lender. As a signing agent, this is probably not your only signing for the day or even for the week. If the ss wants you to do the coordination, then you should get their cut of the signing.

Reply by BrendaTX on 12/22/04 8:39pm
Msg #14372

Update us! What did you decide to do?? n/m

Reply by ItsMe123 on 12/23/04 1:33am
Msg #14395

WelL Brenda, I listened to your advice and acted

I must thank you all for your responses. It made me feel much better about the whole deal. I called told the lender as the SS told me to and as Brenda also thought was the best thing to do and I had e-docs within 1/2 hour of call and closed it.

I was thinking about it and how lucky the SS that they have/has a notary(s) who thinks about: (I pluraled notary as I know I am not the only notary who thinks and does the following)

time difference, They have/had a notary who cared enough about the SS companies business that the night before as she is organizing her next day's business she thinks about not having a HUD and how the closings docs are to get to her. She realizes with the time zones and UPS respectively that these things are issues. Although she has other signings (some paying better than the SS) she respects the SS business as much as she repects hers and decides to be proactive and relay this to the SS.

They have/had a notary that confirms an appt and listens to the borrower when appt is confirmed, The borrower tells her that he must close and also that this is a re-sign. (forgot that in first post--I was so mad) Borrower tells notary that he out alrerady out what he prerceives $1200 due to last signing falling apart. The notary tries to tell SS what borrower has relayed. Lender appreciaites notary relaying how borrower feels about situation and is happy that notary understands the urgency in getting loan closed correctly and on time so this borrower would not feel put off and loan would not be lost.

know that a tax aff is not required as this certain transaction was exempt and the form doesn't need to be done (tried to tell the SS that but she just went on about the format and the call center and etc...---the lender listened and was happy to have someone knowledgeable--heehee)

Well the SS doesn't have that notary any longer and I have a new lender that thinks I am the cat's meow.

Here's the kicker. I called the lender (in my most pleassant of voices) to advise them that I had recieved their docs, printed them with no problem whatsoever. and to confirm to them know the loan would close per the borrowers schedule. The lender then asked me to call them when the loan closed rather than me having to call the SS and the SS having to call them(sure no problem I thought). I am thinking the call is just to follow up on the closing but it wasn't, they wanted to give me contact information so I was able to send them my notary info and the area in which I was available.

Crazy---I haven't heard one thing from the SS, I didn't call them to tell them it was closed, that I was able to get docs or anything (long distance, let them call me) and they still haven't called. I am thinking they know.

Bottom Line--------The SS doesn't have this notary any longer to schlop their work on and I have a new lender that thinks I am the cat's meow.

It still burns me that the SS said "Are you trying to get out of this?" If I was trying to get out of that signing all I would have had to do is not make the call to the SS. If I didn't call I would not have been able to get a HUD by the closing time (due to time zone differences) and I would not have had any docs. Did they really think that my whole purpose of calling them to tell tehm the situation was to get out of a loan?? I don't say I will do something and then back out at the last minute and if I was ever going to I would call and just say I wasn't able to do it rather than talk about docs.. That really made me mad, if she would'nt have said that she would have got the world out of me. I am hoping the SS will make good and pay me the 65.00 we agreed on orginally for the overnight docs and the e-doc fee that was verbally agreed on after the cluster. I too think that fee schedule was fair.

I am competing with Brenda on long posts---just joking Brenda---Seriously Brenda, I really appreciated your pront post to when I first posted my issue with this SS. It was there when it needed to be and I want to thank you for that.

Reply by JanetK/CA on 12/23/04 2:35am
Msg #14399

Good for you!!

You behaved like a pro and the SS person behaved like an amateur. (Try not to let her comments get to you...) I'm just reading this thread now, so I didn't answer before. Yes, it's the signing service's responsibility, but (for the rest of you) I don't see what the big deal is to make one phone call to try help prevent an avoidable problem. I do it routinely when issues arise. (And *I* certainly wouldn't want to get up at 4:00 am to take care of an issue like this!!) In fact, I usually would *rather* talk to the lender or escrow officer than the SS anyway because I get better answers. (If it's through a SS, I'll get their permission, unless I already know they don't mind.) It's just another way of adding value and making yourself worth more. If the long distance call is an issue, you can check into getting some kind of service where it ceases to be one. That's a very important tool in our business and part of being a professional.

You make lots of good points and I think many others would do well to take some of them to heart [unless you live in my area - you guys can go ahead and leave it to someone else! ;>)]. I often hear from clients how much they appreciate the follow-up/ thoroughness/ attention to detail or whatever. A couple of times, I've had escrow officers and LOs offer to pay me extra for additonal efforts out of their co funds, separate from the SS fee, which is generally more than $65... (I very seldom do signings for that amount anymore.) Of course that doesn't always happen and I run into jerks, too. Finding time can be a challenge and may not always be possible, but I want the good ones to call me back! We never know where future business is going to come from.

Brenda, kudos to you, too, for giving some good advice!

Reply by BrendaTX on 12/23/04 7:43am
Msg #14406

Re: Good for you!!

It's been trial and error for me--and likely will be lots more trial and error. Just glad we have a board to get information from! (How's that for brevity?)

Reply by JanetK/CA on 12/24/04 6:57pm
Msg #14498

Ditto that!!! nm

Reply by BrendaTX on 12/23/04 8:00am
Msg #14409

schlop - schlep

Oy vey! (Learned that from K_W JR) Just trying to sound Jewish this morning...

You're welcome!

If you are the one who said that you do quite a bit of work from one certain lender. Can I email you about that? Not trying to get your biz (TX/MI!) but would like to ask questions about what something means when they do things a little differently than usual.

Just curious. (Taking the long posts off the board. Smiley )

Reply by CarolynCO on 12/24/04 10:58am
Msg #14483

Re: Keep the long posts

**(Taking the long posts off the board. )**

Brenda,
Please don't! The way I see it, if someone doesn't want to read an entire screen, that's their choice, but don't deny the ones who do.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.