Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Has Anyone signed for United Notaries? with problems?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to December, 2004 Index

Posted by Cindy on 12/4/04 3:36am
Msg #12706

I have a little story about this signing company. I received a call last week for a HELOC signing. The borrowers lived out of town approx 90 miles round. As stated by the signing company.
My first email confirmation stated to schedule at borrowers request-docs where not date sensitive. Notary fee would be $80
Well, docs where not delivered on date stated-rural area. (Borrower requested a Saturday signing).
So Borrower rescheduled for 12/1 of this week. Which I could not do, and I emailed United informing them of this.

Got a call again from United Notaries- (as if this was my first call about this signing) asking if I could do this signing. I informed them "no" I was out of town for this date. They informed me I was the only notary in this rural area, that it would be ok to try to schedule another date with the borrower. So finally the borrower and I set a date for 12/2.
While I was out of town I received another call from United Notaries rep asking if I received a new confirmation email.

I did recieve a confirmation-this one stated my notary fee was for only $50 and the actual address of the signing would be at borrowers home this time/not work( 90 miles round) . The borrowers home would be 140 miles round. I told the rep I would not do this signing for such low pay-also a change from original pay, and I charge extra for additional stated miles. ($50 signings are ment for HELOCS down the street)

He totally understood and told me he would adjust the fee etc...and send me a new confirmation. (I requested a $100 fee).

Never got an email confirmation, so the night before the signing I called the borrower and told her to please put my appt date with her on hold, there was some issues to clear up with my confirmation contract (I did not go in detail) and possible another notary would come out instead of me.

I emailed the rep back that morning of the "on hold" signing. Never got an email back, so I told him I could not do this signing as stated before and dummy me-they already owed me for a signing I did the first week of October. Which I have yet to see payment.......So I could not take anymore chances with their company. I called the borrower and informed them they needed to call there lender, that the signing service that contracted the notary has not updated a contract for the signing and the notary could not sign/notarize with out one.

Heres what really upsets me about this signing company. United Notaries was receiving 4x the amount they where going to pay me. They still have not paid on a previous signing I did over 60 days ago. On their old contract they had quoted, To Notary, "this is a new contract with this lender, please do not make any mistakes with this signing, mistakes will kill us." and then I receive the nastiest voicemail from the companies owner.

She informed me that she doesnt know how I stay in business with being such a sh**ty notary. That I made the borrowers wait, I made them wait, I made the lender wait. For me to B**tch about my signing fee/mileage/ and a payment due, was not a legit reason to cancel. She informed me I accepted the signing last week, and once I accept I need to follow through. Well, I believe verbally accepting a signing is a tentative agreement, a confirmation signed by the notary is a contract, and as stated above I told them on the phone and email I would not do this signing for this fee.

I just went ahead and emailed her back and informed her, I stay in business because I stay away from signing companies like yours, that you are just pissed because I informed all parties about the conflict I had with you and you lost the account, and then I congratulated her, she just made the #1 spot of the day on the Notary Beware website.

All in all..I have only had 1 other experience as this with a signing company in this field of work. My main occupation is a nurse. What I don't get is why when things do not go the signing companies way they have to argue with you, and cutthroat you. Stating you are not professional and a crappy notary?

Has anyother notary had a conflict similar to this with this company or anyother? Please tell me your story. How did you handle it? Whats the best way to handle non-payment issues? Especially this one after what was said to me from the companies owner.

Thank you all for your time and response regarding this matter.

Reply by Jan/CA on 12/4/04 10:45am
Msg #12719

Cindy, that is just horrible what they expected of you! I am so glad you did not do that closing. Who cares what they think of you, you don't have to work for a company who you know is not gonna pay you. I never take another job from a company who owes me until they pay up. Just can't trust them. Thanks for the info on the company, I just added them to my personal no-no list!

Reply by KC/IN on 12/4/04 10:58am
Msg #12720

I have dealt with United Notaries a few times and haven't had any problems with them. But, what they did wasn't right, I agree with you there. It sounds like somebody at the signing company dropped the ball and wanted to make you look like the bad guy instead of them.

Reply by Happy in Fl on 12/5/04 4:27pm
Msg #12762

GoMobileNotary Forum has a Post Dtd. 9-21-04 about them also-- Not sure if you can go back that far and pull it up or not...Thats when they were put on my Avoid List..

I'm truly sorry about your experience with them.

It seems there are more and more Signing Services and Title Companies "USING" Notaries and not paying them- for any reason they choose.

My Avoid List is now on PAR with companies I"ve signed up with.. It is very - very frustrating.!

Reply by GLENA/NV on 12/5/04 12:00pm
Msg #12744

I haven't had that same experience before, but I sympathize with you. I do hear a lot of SS like that. Fortunately, the ones that I work for are professional people. I hope that I never encounter something like that.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.