Notary Rotary
signing charges
Notary Discussion History

signing charges
Go Back to December, 2004 Index

Posted by curious on 12/28/04 4:28pm
Msg #14637

signing charges

I have a question about charges... I see over and over again what people charge for their signing services, but then write "what does the company pay"? So let me ask.. do you get paid what you ask for? or just what the company gives?

Reply by mike/ca on 12/28/04 4:41pm
Msg #14639

Re: signing charges

Reply by mike/ca on 12/28/04 4:41pm
Msg #14640

Re: signing charges

Reply by mike/ca on 12/28/04 4:45pm
Msg #14643

oops! sorry bout that

we all have a base rate for certain conditions ex- e-docs - distance - type of loans ( piggybacks -helocs ect) and you have rates for your primary sources ( companies who give you alot of business) i have one company that gives me 15-20 loans a month and yes i do go out of my way for them. basic common sense says your here to make money so nothing is set in stone.

Reply by curious on 12/28/04 4:47pm
Msg #14645

Re: oops! sorry bout that

Thanks! Looks like you are from CA? What part?

Reply by mike/ca on 12/28/04 8:01pm
Msg #14680

high desert

Reply by rsrnotary on 3/18/05 11:47am
Msg #26280

well hello neighbor I'm in the high desert also. But don't worry I'm new and probably no competition to you...lol

Reply by Julie-MI on 12/28/04 4:42pm
Msg #14641

You need to set a base fee, the minimum you will leave your home for, along with the miles you are willing to go based on overnight docs with no fax backs.

In my case, I charge $65 to leave my house for overnighted docs within 15 miles one way.

I will not leave my base for less than that.

I work mostly with title companies as it's a lot more fun to receive a check for $175 than $75 for edocs.

When interest rates were really low, and there was not a bunch of newbies undercutting my fees, I could name and get my price.

I have ditched a lot of low paying signing companies over the past 2 years, but have used this opportunity to realize that time spent with the family is better than running around like a mad woman for seven $50 closings in one day.

Some companies are more generous with their fees others are not. To finally answer your question, sometimes you get paid what you ask for, other times you will not. It's up to you to decide if you are willing to work for peanuts.

Reply by curious on 12/28/04 4:46pm
Msg #14644

Thank you so much for the detailed answer! many times I am afraid to post... I am sure you understand. Smiley What is your mileage rate... in CA it seems to be $1.25 after 20 miles and signings at 100.00

Reply by CaliNotary on 12/28/04 4:58pm
Msg #14649

If you're a newcomer in California it would probably behoove you to accept $50 signings. The competition is pretty stiff and if you expect to get $100 a signing from signing services you're going to have some pretty empty pockets.

The key is deciding where exactly you will go for $50. My advice would be to keep those limited to places where you can travel to in less than 15 minutes.

Some companies have a fixed fee that they'll pay, some are flexible and will pay more based on distance. And then there are some who expect their SA's to travel 40 miles one way for $50 and are shocked when you quote them a significantly higher fee.

Ultimately you need to establish the rates that work best for you and stick to them. $1.25/mile is a good rule of thumb.

Reply by curious on 12/28/04 5:04pm
Msg #14651

Thank you so much! Where are you in CA? Does it make a difference to be certified. Also, There a bunch of notaries out here in Saramento, many of them charge $125.00 and a $50.00 traveleing fee. I spoke to a broker I know in the Bay Area and he said he has always paid $150.00
Is this just a bunch of BS?
I have read many of your posts! Love 'em!
Thanks!

Reply by CaliNotary on 12/28/04 5:09pm
Msg #14653

There are title company fees and there are signing service fees. Two different animals. If you can get work directly from the title company you can charge a lot more. Signing services take their cut out of the title company fee, so we get less.

Do a search for "certified" or "certification" on the board, you'll get an eyeful of differing opinions. Mine is that it's worthless aside from the knowledge you'll hopefully gain from the course. I've never been certified, but I was trained by an experienced signing agent.

I'm in Los Angeles.

Reply by curious on 12/28/04 7:35pm
Msg #14672

Thank you for you insight! I did get certified because someone said... Oh you'll make more money for sure... well not yet I might add!!!
I got a call from Speedy Signing on X-mas eve for a signing yesterday in Compton... guess she thought Sacramento was close by.

Reply by mike/ca on 12/28/04 8:03pm
Msg #14681

yep! that would be speedy signing alright (took them off my list a long time ago)

Reply by curious on 12/28/04 11:35pm
Msg #14760

Talk to me... what about them??? bad news???

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.