Notary Rotary
Is this proper notary practice?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to February, 2004 Index

Posted by D. Consumer on 2/23/04 10:38am
Msg #991

I received an Affidavit supposedly from an attorney. It was "notarized" but the only thing the stamp says is "My Commission Expires September 30, 2004" and the notary seal is missing. The notary placed 3 initials in on the line over "Notary Public". No identifying numbers or even a full name. The state of the Affidavit is VA, but again the notary gives no state of authority. Could this possibly be construed as proper practice? Is there a state agency I should contact to verify? Thank you, I am trying to deal with a lot of healthcare issues and I can't find much on this subject from the consumer side.

D.

Reply by Dennis D Broadbooks on 2/23/04 11:01am
Msg #992

Contact the Secretary of State's Office...

...in the state in which you reside. The supervision of Notary Public matters is "normally" vested in that state agency (I'm not an expert on Notary matters in every state in the union) & you can run this question by them. If they don't handle it, they can tell you where to turn next.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.