Notary Rotary
notary certificate?
Notary Discussion History

notary certificate?
Go Back to February, 2004 Index

Posted by New at this on 2/18/04 12:23pm
Msg #961

notary certificate?

Some companies are asking me to fax a copy of my notory certificate. I thought I was not suppose to do that. Can I copy and send it?

Reply by Stephanie on 2/18/04 1:00pm
Msg #962

Faxing your Notary Certificate is something I've done on numerous occasions. It's an easy way for companies to confirm that you currently have a commission and when it expires. I see nothing wrong with this, especially since you are faxing this to them.

Reply by new to this on 2/19/04 11:36am
Msg #968

Thanks!! I did'nt know for sure.

Reply by judyca on 2/21/04 7:32pm
Msg #983

You will have some companies wanting you to fax them a copy of your seal... remember it is against the law (at least in California) to stamp any document you are not notorizing. Be sure your reply is no, sorry but that is against the law.

Reply by lompocjoe on 2/22/04 4:26am
Msg #986

Most signing companies ask for a copy of your Notary commission. If you feel uncomfortable about sending a copy to them, draw a line through it before faxing it. If they want a copy of your Notary stamp, you should line through it also. This protects you from having your commission and/or stamp copied.

Reply by Cheryl SB/CA on 2/23/04 10:23pm
Msg #999

I am a notary exam seminar instructor...a notary should never fax any one a copy of his/her seal even with a line drawn through it. A notary must never affix his/her seal to anything other than a jurat or acknowledgement.

Reply by JCA on 2/24/04 4:49pm
Msg #1016

Cheryl is absoulutely right. If you read your notary handbook for the State of California they make this perfectly clear. You can lose your commission if you stamp anything other than a legitimate jurat or acknowledgement.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.