Notary Rotary
E-Docs vs. Digital Docs. ?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to July, 2004 Index

Posted by anonymous on 7/8/04 5:52pm
Msg #4096

I have searched and searched but was unable to find an asnwer to this question on this board ....I know it's most likely a dumb question but I must ask

When someone Says "Digital Docs" is that the same as accepting E-Docs with a laser printer ?
or is it totally different ?

Reply by redonthehead on 7/8/04 6:22pm
Msg #4099

It's the same.

Reply by BrendaTX on 7/8/04 10:28pm
Msg #4110

Agreed. I expanded a little, below. This is an elementary discussion of this topic, but, if anyone is not familiar with eDocs and Digital Docs, etc:

My experience is:

Title companies and lenders usually mean #3 below.

But, what some signing agencies consider to be eDocs are "whatever they need to get to you that is not delivered via courier." And, that means they are transmitted electronically or digitally, so to speak, so this is an accurate definition.

You may wind up getting a few of each kind when working for signing agencies. I have even had an attorney send his bill and a couple of documents, as well, to me right before the signing (some emailed, some faxed) in a few situations, so the borrower can "agree" with the deep prep fee, or other legal service.

So, here's the line-up.... eDocs, then can be:

1) Faxed (My least favorite because of the dwindling quality and they often come a little skewed, or unclear. )

2) eMailed (Better)
-->*.tif (MS-Office Imaging, or other picture type files)
-->*.pdf - Adobe
-->And, even a word processor document, such as MS-Office Word Documents (*.rtf, *.doc) which I really do not like getting via email because one key stroke by accident can cause a change in the document without realizing it.

3) Downloaded from a digital document warehouse, which are usually printable only by a printer that has PCL capability. (Best and easiest to handle)

4) Skimming over a contract I got in the last few days, I saw the question being asked if I would charge extra for going to Kinko's. I thought in the back of my mind this was an older contract that would cover folks without laser printers and did not read much further. But, I just saw an ad on A&E that FEDEX and Kinko's is partnering, so that may have been a new thing - I have not filled out the form -- it's in my stack of To Do's. When I get to the form, if it is of interest, I will report back. Right now I do not remember which company it was. Will let you know more if it's relevant to current signing assignments.

I hope that this will help someone considering getting into the business clarify in their mind what eDocs, or Digital Docs can mean to different companies...and, what you will charge for them when asked.

Brenda

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.