Notary Rotary
For neophytes
Notary Discussion History

For neophytes
Go Back to July, 2004 Index

Posted by HisHughness on 7/16/04 12:26pm
Msg #4536

For neophytes

Two suggestions for neophytes (and maybe some veterans who are as clueless as I was before this morning):

1. Had a signing for an affidavit for a keeper of records this morning. One affidavit in an area a distance from the office, where I was going to be anyway; only non-real estate matter I've handled in the two years I've been a signing agent. Inadvertently left my stamp. Realized it as I was about to stamp a second affidavit just blocks away (title company left affidavit out of the original packet). Had to return to the earlier location for my stamp. I would have been royally screwed were the two locations not so close together -- or if I had lost my stamp. Moral: First thing today when I have time, I order a second stamp to keep in the car.

2. Notarylinks.com has sent me a moderate amount of business lately. Sign-up is free. I note that my dashingly lovely Texas compatriot Brenda Stone is signed up there also, as is the hoary NotRot habitue Paul Williamson. I'd recommend everybody, newbie and veteran, get on board there.

Reply by redonthehead on 7/16/04 1:35pm
Msg #4539

Response to the double seal. CA notaries are only allowed to have one seal, which, like many other states, has to be kept locked and in a secure area. Failure to do this could result in a fine up to $750 and loss of commission.

Reply by HisHughness on 7/16/04 2:46pm
Msg #4546

Sorry, didn't mean to lead anybody astray and into the paths of notarial unrighteousness by advising them to have a second seal. However, in my defense I think we should remember, with regard to California requirements for notaries and their seals, that this is the state that elected Gray Davis and Arnold Schwarzenegger governor. In that kind of climate, you can expect almost anything.

Reply by Stephanie/CA on 7/16/04 10:40pm
Msg #4572

Re: For neophytes - redonthehead

I am in California, and have had two (2) seals the entire time I have been a Notary Public.
I do not believe I am breaking any California notarial laws.

Stephanie Santiago
California

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 7/17/04 8:16am
Msg #4584

Stephanie
If Iunderstand CA notary laws correctly, when you purchase a seal, you have to have a certificate authorizing you to purchase the seal. Do you have to turn that certificate in when you purchase the seal? If so, when you want to purchase a second seal wouldn't you have to get another certificate to authorize the purchase.

If so, I can't see the state issuing a second certificate if you weren't allowed a second seal. So, if you have two and had to get authorization, I don't see where you would be breaking any California notary laws.

Reply by Jon on 7/17/04 11:55am
Msg #4588

You can order as many seals as you like with the certificate, 1 or 100. If you only order 1 and decide you need another, you send a request to the SOS for a new Certificate to Manufacture a Notary Seal, and three weeks later you have a new cert and get additional seals made. Just a note for CA, the seal must be kept in a locked and secure area, under the direct and exclusive control of the notary. Not sure a car would qualify, especially if you share your car with your spouse or someone else.

Reply by Jon on 7/17/04 11:59am
Msg #4589

BTW, I have three stamps, 2 by one manufacturer and 1 by another. It's a long story filled with grief(mine) and anger(mine again) so I won't bore you all, but I will always have at least 2 stamps.

Reply by Christie Costello on 7/16/04 2:22pm
Msg #4542

Regarding notarylinks.com, are you talking about the free website listing under the "Notary Sites" section? Or is there something else I'm missing?

Thanks in advance.

Reply by HisHughness on 7/16/04 2:39pm
Msg #4545

Yes, the "notary sites" section in notarylinks.com is the listing. Click on any of those, and it will take you to the notary's web page.

Reply by LorraineK/FL on 7/16/04 3:33pm
Msg #4548

In regard to the two seals...I had the same thought when I first registered with NNA and ordered two seals. They sent them to me, so I figure that it must be o.k. I keep one at work (locked up) and one locked in my notary briefcase. It never even occurred to me that it might not be alright...guess I need to check to make sure...but, I still have two stamps...whether it's right or wrong. lk

Reply by PAW Notary Services on 7/16/04 10:56pm
Msg #4574

Lorraine... In FL you can have as many as you want. Of course, they all need to be safeguarded at all times, but there is nothing in the statutes limiting the number of stamps/seal/embossers you have.

Paul/FL

Reply by BrendaTX on 7/17/04 1:39pm
Msg #4594

Hugh, I paid you to say: dashingly lovely and *ever popular* Texas compatriot Brenda Stone

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.