Notary Rotary
I forgot my journal
Notary Discussion History

I forgot my journal
Go Back to July, 2004 Index

Posted by Anonymous on 7/27/04 1:47pm
Msg #5058

I forgot my journal

I am a newbie for starters. Well, the other day I had a signing 35 miles away (70 roundtrip) and when I got there I realized I didn't have my notary journal. I went on with the signing but of course couldn't have the borrowers sign the journal. Should I have done this? Will I get in trouble because the signatures are missing from my journal? Should I make some kind of notation in the journal explaining the missing signatures???? Oh! I'm in the state of New Jersey which requires a journal.

Reply by anonymous on 7/27/04 2:24pm
Msg #5065

This is funny

Reply by Anonymous on 7/27/04 2:49pm
Msg #5067

Why??? Everything you do is always correct?

Reply by Gracie on 7/27/04 2:57pm
Msg #5068

You should check with your state's requirements to be sure, Anony, but I don't think NJ requires customer signatures in the journal. Just record the information on a piece of paper and transfer the info to the journal when you get back home.

P.S. I have no idea what anony found to be so funny.

Reply by Anonymous on 7/27/04 3:00pm
Msg #5069

Thanks so much for the helpful information.

Reply by Not helpful! Not helpful! on 7/27/04 3:06pm
Msg #5070

I apologize, Anony, I just re-read NJ law, the customer does have to sign the journal. I would simply make a notation when you copy the info into the journal about what happened. Make sure customer name/address/ID information is complete to make up for it. You'll only get in trouble if the notarization is contested in court or something remote like that.

Gracie

Reply by CA_Notary on 7/27/04 3:36pm
Msg #5076

I've forgotten my journal on 2 occasions. Both times I did the signing and returned later to have them sign the journal. Suck it up and make the trip again, better safe than sorry.

And understand that Murphy's Law definitely applies here. You'll never forget your journal on a signing that's 10 minutes away from home, it'll only happen at a signing that's 30 minutes or more away from you.

Reply by Anonymous on 7/28/04 9:33am
Msg #5115

Thanks CA_Notary--I will make a return trip to be on the safe side.

Now, where is the idiot (anonymous) that thought this situation was so funny??? People do make mistakes.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.