Notary Rotary
Mobile Notary pricing
Notary Discussion History

Mobile Notary pricing
Go Back to July, 2004 Index

Posted by Sonia_FL on 7/19/04 10:14am
Msg #4616

Mobile Notary pricing

I am a new signing agent and also advertise as a Mobile Notary. Does any one know the average price to sign a document. individual called 2 documents 27 miles away one way what would be the average fee?

Reply by Elizabeth on 7/19/04 11:14am
Msg #4619

It varies widely by area.

When I moved to my new part of the state, I tried to charge $50-$65 for your sort of job. No takers. I kept lowering the price. I finally got jobs when I started charging $25-$45 and restricted the number of miles I was willing to travel.

Sounds low, but these jobs are always cash or check on the spot. I won't travel more than 10 miles one way for them. No FedEx back, etc. So they are actually more lucrative than $50 SS jobs.

I wing it with every quote. Businesses are willing to pay more than individuals. Adult children of people in retirement homes are grateful and willing to pay more. Jobs that take more time (like Wills), get more.

I always ask what the documents are before I give a quote. I get at least one call each week asking me to notarize things I am not allowed to notarize (like copies of birth certificates). I try to be helpful. People remember kindness.

You will have to slog your own way through pricing for non-loan work.

An additional tip: you really must know your notary regulations COLD for this type of work.

Reply by Sonia_Fl on 7/19/04 2:51pm
Msg #4622

Thank for your reply that is what I thought when I realized it was an individual, receiving cash, and exposure. But I guess thats our business we need to give a little to get a little.

Reply by PAW Notary Services on 7/19/04 12:17pm
Msg #4620

In FL, you cannot charge more than $10 per document (or application of your seal) no matter how many signers there are.

Additionally, you can charge a service charge or travel fee since you are providing a service to the signer. However, be very careful about abusive and overcharging for this service. Make sure the signers know, up front, what the travel or any additional fees, are before they agree to the "contract" arrangement.

Make a list of the all the areas you service and what you will accept for travel fees. Then when you get a call, you can quote something along the lines of, "My fees for this would be $xxx for travel, $10 per document notarized, and $xxx per hour for any additional time spent waiting to complete the notarizations."

So, in the above, in the case of signing a POA at a nursing home, for example, the fee would be:

$10 for the notarization of the document
$25 for the travel (in this example)
$15 for the additional time (billed at $30/hour) waiting for witnesses to arrive

Total charge for this particular assignment = $50.

Your service charges are YOUR charges. You need to set them as YOU see fit, keeping in mind that they should be "reasonable and customary" and competitive.

BTW, where in FL are you located?

Paul/FL

Reply by Sonia_FL on 7/19/04 2:56pm
Msg #4623

Thanks for the break down I didn't realize it was $10 per document. then travel and waiting time. I will take your advice and make up a my list with the travel fees as not to short change myself or over charge a client. I appreicate your suggestions.

Reply by Sonia_Fl on 7/19/04 2:58pm
Msg #4624

I forgot to note I am located in Orlando

Reply by LorraineK/FL on 7/19/04 3:12pm
Msg #4625

Paul...I was under the understanding (even if wrongly so) that there could be a charge of $10.00 per signature being notarized. The Florida Law Primer that I received from NNA indicates regarding fees under the header Fees for Notarial Services, and I quote, " Acknowledgments - $10. For taking an acknowledgment, the fee is not to exceed $10 for each signature. For notarizing a single document with a signature of each of three persons appearing before the notary, for example, a maximum of $30 may be charged." Page 49 12th edition, The Florida Notary Law Primer. Under fees for Oaths or Affirmations (same reference) it indicates $10 per person, as does jurat.

This was also the understanding that I got when attending a NNA seminar.

Is there something that I am missing?

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 7/19/04 3:44pm
Msg #4628

The NNA is WRONG! Please read Florida notary laws as determined by the State of Florida not the NNA! I know one signing agent who called them on it, and was assured it was $10 per signature. It is $10 per seal. To charge any more would put your commisson in jeopardy.

Please download and read the Governors manual for notaries. For a reputable notary organization join The American Society of Notaries. The are the oldest non-profit organizaton for notaries. Their focus is on education. The are also based in Tallahassee, Fl.

If you are interested e-mail me - [e-mail address] and I can fax you over an application form that will give you two free months (14 months for the price of 12)

Sylvia M Mease
Certified Notary Instructor

Reply by LorraineK/FL on 7/19/04 4:36pm
Msg #4633

Thanks for the input Sylvia...if NNA is giving out false info they should be called on it. I plan on getting with the Div. of Corp's regarding matter. I have read the govenor's manual regarding fees and it doesn't have a definition page - so that we can determine what exactly a "notorial act" is. Maybe it is each time you stamp...but, if you are notarizing a jurat...you don't swear in just one signer...you swear them all in...so, that's more than one act...see what I mean. I think it's important enough (to me) to get a legal opinon from the State...if that is possible. I actually have a contact in the General Counsel's office (lawyer), maybe I'll give her a call if Div of Corps doesn't have a clear-cut answer.

Reply by Paul_FL on 7/19/04 4:27pm
Msg #4631

From the Florida Statutes, Chapter 117:

117.05 Use of notary commission; unlawful use; notary fee; seal; duties; employer liability; name change; advertising; photocopies; penalties.—

(2)(a) The fee of a notary public may not exceed $10 for any one notarial act, except as provided in s. 117.045.

(b) A notary public may not charge a fee for witnessing an absentee ballot in an election, and must witness such a ballot upon the request of an elector, provided the notarial act is in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

And from the Governor's Manual for Notaries (pg 9):

Notary Fees

Florida authorizes notaries to charge up to $10 for each notarial act — administering an oath, taking an acknowledgment, attesting to a photocopy, verifying a VIN, or certifying the contents of a safe-deposit box.

Notaries may charge up to $20 to solemnize marriage (perform a marriage ceremony).

Fees are optional. Be reasonable when setting fees.

If you charge fees for other services not directly related to your notary services, you should
provide your customer with an itemized list of charges beforehand.

Reply by LorraineK/FL on 7/19/04 5:12pm
Msg #4641

Hi again...I've talked to NNA...and I'm preparing an email to Gov. Bush, Div of Corp, NNA, and you guys (Paul/Sylvia). I'm blind copying you so you'll know what I am asking. I've talked to NNA who indicate that they have a very good relationship with the State Dept in Florida, and that they consider that each signature being notarized is an act...I told their rep. that notaries could only benefit from the conversation, no matter who turns out to be correct. Anyway, just wanted you to know I'm blind copying.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.