Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Need URGENT HELP w/laser printer choice ?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to July, 2004 Index

Posted by Curious George on 7/2/04 4:35pm
Msg #3867

So here is my dilemma....I am ready to buy a laser printer from DELL model 1700 (lexmark) 25 ppm, 550paper sheet drawer, 6,000pg ink cartridge, 16mb memory etc... they said it is PCL 6 .
PCL compatability is through driver emulation.

IS THIS A GOOD SYSTEM TO BUY???

OR CAN YOU RECOMMEND A BETTER ONE LOW PRICE RANGE...

also, do you need certain software programs to print most loan documents or assignments ???

thank you sooooo much for the help!!!
Anthony
Oregon

Reply by Derrick/MT on 7/2/04 4:40pm
Msg #3869

Make sure it is a laser printer, not an ink jet (it sounds like an ink, by stating it has an ink cartridge).

Reply by Curious George on 7/2/04 4:42pm
Msg #3870

Thats just my fast typing/ talking .....It is a LASER printer (toner cartridge)
Anthony
Oregon

Reply by Derrick/MT on 7/2/04 4:47pm
Msg #3871

Sounds like it will work.

No, you do not need any special software to print edocs. All the companies I have worked with will let you know where to get a free print utility to print their docs. You will need to download a free copy of Adobe acrobat.

Reply by CA_Notary on 7/3/04 1:12am
Msg #3894

Are there actually still people out there who don't have Adobe Acrobat installed on their computers?

Reply by Tom on 7/2/04 7:24pm
Msg #3876

While there appear to be printers that do a good job of supporting PCL 6 by imulation I would recommend you buy HP which has PCL as its native support. If you don't feel you can afford a new 1300 check around for a used printer. I bought a 1 year old HP 1200 a few months ago for under $200 including shipping and have been extremely happy with it.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 7/2/04 7:58pm
Msg #3878

I agree with Tom. While those that emulate the PCL drivers, they are not guaranteed to work with some edocs. PDF files are fine, but some of the other formats can be a problem without the correct printer.

As a signing service, I only use notaries with the correct HP printers.

Reply by BrendaTX on 7/2/04 8:57pm
Msg #3879

HP 3015 - $276 at Sam's

I just "drove" my new HP 3015. I like it a lot.

My calendar began to thin out as the first of the month started peeking around so I started marketing again. After a couple of days - Bingo.

Calls began to come for this weekend and next week from new companies. One of the appointments was for tomorrow - eDocs. I tried to download the eDocs and Oops...no can do.

But, because of you storehouses of PCL & eDoc information like PAW Notary, Mr. Negrete, and Sylvia who have shined the light on this mystery of eDocs, I did not go crazy trying to figure out the problem. I was just thankful for you guys because I understood precisely what I needed to do..

So, I ran around the corner to Sam's and picked up my new HP 3015 --which I had decided I wanted to try, but have been putting off until I could really justify it. This fee will cover a third of it and now it is done.

Had it installed and running in 10 minutes.

It was $278.00. It is PCL 5e and 6 compliant. I had those babies downloaded and in record time.

Hugh, this makes it a new ballgame, and not so dreaded, when they come like this. It's those folks that drag it out until the last minute that are the problem. Now that I have had the "real thing" -- Referring to eDocs in a digital document warehouse -- I see the point.

Regards to all, Brenda

Reply by HisHughness on 7/2/04 11:04pm
Msg #3883

Re: HP 3015 - $276 at Sam's

While you were plugging in your new HP 3015, I was plugging in my new HP 2550L color laser printer (no fax, no scanner, no copier, but I've got those covered with other peripherals).

I reached the same conclusion you did, Brenda. With the market choking down, I need to find new sources of business, and the most obvious one was e-dox. So, I've overcome my aversion to electronic packets, and I'm ready to rock and enroll in the e-doc revolution.

My workspace now looks like the cockpit of the space shuttle. I've got four printers hooked up to my computer, two through a parallel port manual shunt, two through a USB automatic hub. Turn out the lights in my office, and you'll think you're in the middle of a National Georgraphic special on the galaxy, the twinkling printer lights are so numerous. The wiring for all this -- computer, printers, shunt. hub, telephone, surge protectors, electric pencil sharpener -- is straight out of the SciFi channel. I've lost two visiting techies and a Chihuahua in that maze in the past six months, and the last technie to emerge alive swore he stumbled across Jimmy Hoffa's body.

I think this technomania is about to come to a screeching halt, though. My long-suffering wife may be nearing the limits of her tolerance. Last week, I caught her casting what can only be described as longing glances at the neighbor.

He collects bass boats.

Reply by Curious George on 7/3/04 1:05am
Msg #3891

Thanks to all for your help! I'll let you know what I pick up tomorrow.. Hugh and Brenda.. you two are killing me...LOL.....
Have a GREAT 4th of JULY EVERYONE!
Anthony
Oregon

Reply by RoadRunner on 7/4/04 5:13am
Msg #3927

I own the Dell 1700 myself, no problem so far. I paid $159 thru their anniversary sales last month. I've been in business for 2 weeks and have had 5 signing with edocs thru Swiftview. The 1700 can split out 2 sets of 75 pages doc in less than 5 minutes, thumbs up for performance.

Similar to HisHughness, I dislike the all-in-1 techo. I am armed with the Dell, a Cannon, HP inkjet, fax/copy, and a scanner stacked on a 6' book shelf, all on USB with no hub...LOL.

Only disadvantage I find with the Dell printer is their used and return toner drum. I'd keep a spare drum on hand.

Andy-WA

Reply by BrendaTX on 7/4/04 10:26pm
Msg #3957

I am glad to get this input

I am glad to get this input because at some point I will add a 2nd PCL capable printer. I might be overly cautious--however, the reason for sticking to the HP brand in this case is because statements have been repeatedly made on forums that some will not consider giving eDocs assignments to those without an HP Laser of some sort.

As to AIO's vs not AIO's - as long as it works, I have no preference. Just let me get the work out and I am happy.

Honestly, I generally buy the bargain on tech gear. I was bitten by the tech bug in the expensive days when $1800 was the going rate for a "fast" pre-windows (80286 AT) computer to replace my 8088 XT. I worried over whether or not to go the expense of ordering my new machine with a 3.25" disk AND a 5.25" floppy drive.

The few in my circle who would discuss it with me debated and discussed and learned about our BIOS version. I made it clear that I was totally against Windows--it was just a lot of fluff--used too much RAM. Most of my friends felt the same back then.

We talked about if we could afford to get a colored monitor that would give the same resolution as a monochrome monitor would, and always, always, had to keep on top of the going price of RAM.

Eons ago, when going "online" for me was dialing into a database provider, it was my decision to layout $1900 for a Ricoh Laser printer that emulated HP LaserJet Series II which could be had for about $2400-$2700.

So, with my mentality, I still cannot believe that a scanner can be purchased for less than $50 and a laser printer does not have the same price as a decent 1 carat diamond. It still makes me happy to think of it.

As any 40, 50, or 60-something old timer tech lover knows, at the prices the gear is these days, you almost HAVE to buy both AIO'S and the not-AIO'S when you run across a "good deal" just because the price is right!! It would be a real sin to leave them sitting on those shelves when we could be tinkering with them or using them. ( :> ).

As a result, I have a collection of stuff I use. I, too, have the cockpit look in my house.

Some women collect shoes--some women decorate. I like those things, too, but when it comes right down to it, I have to face the facts...my spare money goes to computer gear that is purchased, always, at that great price I could not turn down.

I like to think of it collecting tools for my trade--though my sister says it's more like a sickness. (She watches HGTV, and I have been looking for a sweat shirt for a couple of years that says "Got Root?" like Pat on TechTV [when it was what it was] wore on occasion. )

But, I let them all make fun of me--those who have more pretty shoes than I do (and, to be clear, I have a pair or two of those as well!), and all who have offices with Christopher Lowell accessories, while my pencil holders are two tiny Justin Roper boots -- my son's first pair.

Who do they call when they need help with their computers? I never ask to wear their shoes, and I never borrow their accent pieces!

Okay--I rambled a lot, but it was written all in fun...

Happy 4th.
Brenda

Reply by HisHughness on 7/5/04 1:34am
Msg #3960

Re: I am glad to get this input

Somebody better find Brenda's off button before she tells her age.

Reply by Joan Bergstrom on 7/5/04 8:11pm
Msg #3974

Sam's Club has the HP 1300 for $299.00. The old price was $60-$70 more.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 7/6/04 8:09am
Msg #3982

And I bought it when it was around $370! But, I still considered it a bargain:)

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.