Notary Rotary
Notary America, Will Not PAY
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to July, 2004 Index

Posted by DMoore on 7/19/04 3:38pm
Msg #4626

Have anyone worked for this company, I've done 5 closing for them sense April and they won't pay me, I did recieve April invoice and they did not pay the agreed amount 0f 160.00 they pay me 100.00 and told me to fax the confirmation of the agreed amount and I did, and can't seem to talk with Lisa Schreiber any more but I have talk to several other people there , I did 1 closing in April and 4 in May they owe me $460.00 how can I get my money.

Reply by mimi on 7/19/04 3:48pm
Msg #4629

What a shame! I've never worked for this company and I won't after hearing your problems. If I ever run into this problem I think I would write the lenders and let them know what kind of company they are dealing with. This won't get you the money but I would feel better, and then maybe the bad press would put some fire under them to pay.

Reply by WI NotaryGal on 7/19/04 5:10pm
Msg #4640

You are right about Notary America. They do tend to pay on a hit or miss basis. They have paid me for a few. However, they owe me for two more. I plan to keep asking for payment. Sounds like you (and probably me too) need a plan with more teeth..... I think Mimi is offering some sound advice.

Reply by sue on 7/19/04 6:14pm
Msg #4643

Lisa comes on these boards almost evey time there is a post about their non payment. She always tells everyone how it's a slip up but she's here quite often. Wonder why that is? They've got a notary named Joan that loves them and I'm sure if she reads this board she'll contact them as she sticks up for them every time.

Reply by Julie Gregory on 7/19/04 7:55pm
Msg #4645

I would also contact the Better Business Bureau and the NNA. Maybe the NNA has a list of agencies they could add to thier "do not do business with" list. But I would definitely contact the BBB. I plan on doing the same for a company I'm having a problem with. Professional Settelement Services.

Reply by Anonymous on 7/19/04 8:40pm
Msg #4649

I would call the Borrower and tell them that you are going to file a lean against there property if the signing service does not pay you. That will help Notary America loose a lot of biz and fast. Maybe than a good signing service will get the accts Notary America has.

Reply by Joan Bergstrom on 7/20/04 1:28am
Msg #4670

I should have read down the posts before I responded; yeah I'm the suck-up Joan. You all have my cell number(posted above or check my profile) and call me after 10:00 am 7/20/04 and I will take your complaints to Lisa personally. Lets get this resolved because this is a very good company. Just call me.

Reply by HisHughness on 7/20/04 7:43am
Msg #4672

Joan:

You obviously can use a refresher course in the purpose of the NotaryRotary forum. Please take one before you again have good words to say about Notary America or any other signing company. The purpose of the forum is not to pass on praises about signing companies, it is to revile, condemn, abuse, berate, denounce, lambaste, vilify, vituperate, criticize, decry, assail, impugn, and in general, just not be nice to any SS. You gotta get your act together, or we'll repossess your key to the executive restroom.

Reply by Joan Bergstrom on 7/21/04 2:27am
Msg #4715

Hugh
Your right I need to get a grip, what was I thinking?
No one called me on my cell: 951-522-4919 today but the offer is still open. Our 909-prefix went "gone with the wind" last Saturday and most of Riverside. Ca is now "951."

NO, I don't own Notary America but I like and respect Lisa, I also like the employees she hires. Notary America and I started in this business about the same time and I think Notary America is a great company and I won't bore anyone with how great I think I am!!
Just contact my family (sons) and they will tell you "I shot past perfect many years ago."

I was also named after Joan Crawford, ("mommy dearest" ) my mom looked like her so if you called the boys tomorrow just free up an hour or so because they have a lot to share with you!!
Cheers, Joan

Reply by Anonymous on 7/19/04 8:40pm
Msg #4650

CALL THE BORROWER

Call the borrower and put a lean on there property.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 7/19/04 8:52pm
Msg #4652

Re: CALL THE BORROWER

Why? It has nothing to do with the borrower, they have already paid the fee to the company in their closing costs, they can't be expected to pay twice. Notary America is who you should be going after/ Call the title company/lender and let them know that you are not being paid by Notary America.

Reply by HisHughness on 7/19/04 9:13pm
Msg #4654

Re: CALL THE BORROWER

Anonymous advised:

"Call the borrower and put a lean on there property."

I guess I'm being really pissy, but I don't think I would ever be prepared to take legal advice from someone who has no idea how to spell "lien." And that doesn't even address how to properly use common words like "their," "there" and "they're."

Reply by Dmoore on 7/19/04 9:42pm
Msg #4656

Thank you all very much,this was alot of good advise, but I do not agree with calling the borrowers and definitely not a lien. I don't think you would win in court LOL! , but getting in touch with the Title company I am gonig to do that and the lender, just let them know what type of company there dealing with.
thank's again.

Reply by NSA in WA on 7/19/04 10:32pm
Msg #4661

File a small claims suit

Call your local courthouse and find out what the filing fee is for a small claims suit. It is only $25 in my area. Sounds like they owe you enough money to make a suit worth even a $65 filing fee.

You may get a judgement in your favor. But collections are different: they may ignore the judge's order to pay you. If I couldn't collect, I would post the judgement on every board. And I would fax a copy to the title companies that use them along with a polite and non-emotional letter. "I just wanted to alert you......"

It's only slander if what you say is not true. And a court judgement is a public record.

Thank you for warning all of us about these sleezeballs.

Reply by HisHughness on 7/19/04 10:50pm
Msg #4663

Re: File a small claims suit

NSA in WA wrote:

"You may get a judgement in your favor. But collections are different: they may ignore the judge's order to pay you."

Judges in contract and tort suits do not order anyone to pay anyone. The trier of fact (judge or jury) will find that one party owes another party; that is all the judge or jury will do. It is then up to the prevailing party to collect, which is usually a much more involved and laborious process than simply getting a judgment.

Reply by sue on 7/20/04 7:38am
Msg #4671

collecting judgments isn't always that difficult, even when the signing service is in another state. I'm in PA. I typed up a complaint last night to file against a CA signing service (United Document Service, I haven't forgotten about you). I'm trying the title company one more time today. If they can't/won't help me, suit is being filed tomorrow or Thursday (I had promised them Monday but I'm slow). Anyway, I most certainly will win my judgment. Then, I'll file Depositions in Aide of Execution. The borrowers and the title company will be forced to come visit my lawyer to answer questions. If the title company does business with this company routinely (and I do believe they do) I will garnish their account and get my fee,interest and costs of collection. That should put a damper on the ss's receivables for a month or so. Of course they must comply with the Deposition order because in my state it's a crime to fail to appear pursuant to a subpoena and the title company is only 2 hours away - clearly the constable for his fee would drive that far. No title company wants to be involved in all that for a generic non-paying CA signing service. So, get your judgments and then find an attorney who does collection work - they know ways to collect.

Reply by HisHughness on 7/20/04 7:53am
Msg #4673

sue declaimed:

"Then, I'll file Depositions in Aide of Execution. The borrowers and the title company will be forced to come visit my lawyer to answer questions. If the title company does business with this company routinely (and I do believe they do) I will garnish their account and get my fee,interest and costs of collection. That should put a damper on the ss's receivables for a month or so. Of course they must comply with the Deposition order because in my state it's a crime to fail to appear pursuant to a subpoena and the title company is only 2 hours away - clearly the constable for his fee would drive that far. No title company wants to be involved in all that for a generic non-paying CA signing service. So, get your judgments and then find an attorney who does collection work - they know ways to collect."

I think you just made my point for me: The collection process is more involved and laborious than the lawsuit to get a judgment.

In Texas, for example, it is not a crime (and I'm hard-pressed to believe that it is a crime in PA to fail to appear for a civil subpoena; contumacious, perhaps, and grounds for confinement for civil contempt, but not a crime) to fail to answer a subpoena, and garnishment is not available for any debt. Further, for the fees involved, I don't know many collection lawyers who would pursue a small claims judgment much beyond writing a letter -- probably pointless, since the defendant already has failed to respond to a lawsuit.

Nonetheless, I applaud your persistance. Long may it wave!

Reply by Lawrence Goodwin on 7/20/04 8:25am
Msg #4674

I am sure it has been said before, the best way to deal with non paying SS's is to report them to the Lender first, then the Title Company and then file a complaint with the BBB. You can file on line with the BBB. Then add them to your do not sign for list.

Reply by NSA in WA on 7/20/04 8:57pm
Msg #4698

You don't understand how angry we are

Lawrence and Hugh, you underestimate our anger.

What you both said was absolutely correct. I say file a suit as part of putting them out of business so other notaries won't have to suffer the same empty-pocket fate.

While I realize I will have a tough time collecting and I don't expect a dime, it is worth $25 in court filing fees for me to seriously damage a bad SS's rep with its title company client.

When I have a No Pay, I do what you say PLUS I file a small claims suit. I need to file one this week. My Do Not Sign For list is 4+ pages long. Mostly it is composed of companies all you other generous notaries have steered me away from (Elite, Alden, Sign on the X, etc) and companies who pay late (Executive Closings was my personal worst at 5 months).

Let's put these bottom feeders out of business.

Reply by Curious George on 7/20/04 9:48pm
Msg #4700

Re: You don't understand how angry we are

I would love to hear about your experience with Executive Closings in FL. I've been getting quiet a few calls from them lately ,then cancellations...etc.

Thanks,
Anthony
Oregon

Reply by NSA in WA on 7/20/04 11:09pm
Msg #4706

Exec Closings: be glad for cancellations

Executive Closings ort of FL took 5 months and many phone calls to pay me. They didn't have any problem with my work and the check was always said to be on the way.

I have read on the boards that I did not have an uncommon experience. SOP

Turn down ALL jobs from them and say why.

Reply by Eatha on 7/20/04 2:30pm
Msg #4679

"contumacious" - ooooh, I had to look that one up, Your Hughness! Leave it to a lawyer to help us increase our vocabulary!

Reply by HisHughness on 7/20/04 4:45pm
Msg #4682

Eatha emoted:

"contumacious" - ooooh, I had to look that one up, Your Hughness! Leave it to a lawyer to help us increase our vocabulary!"

Heck, Eatha -- I had to look it up, too.

Reply by Diedra/TX on 6/8/12 11:46pm
Msg #423034

I agree, I think I will use that word on my son next time he gets bull-headed with me. LOL Thanks for the new word.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.