Notary Rotary
Notary Fee
Notary Discussion History

Notary Fee
Go Back to July, 2004 Index

Posted by Alabama Notary on 7/3/04 2:19pm
Msg #3909

Notary Fee

Alabama is one of those states that requires a notary journal to be kept for all notarial acts. I am a bit confused on what to log in the fee line. I called the secretary of state and really never got an answer on what we are allow to charge per document. I have the Alabama Manual which states that the fee is $1.50 for a seal. I also was told as far as income tax purposes that we deduct all of these notarizations. NNA's workbook gives a good outline, but as far as the state guidelines,I am not sure how much to log on anything rather it be in my journal or in my excel spreadsheet that I track all my entries. Any Alabama notaries out there that can help, I greatly would appreciate the info.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 7/3/04 9:22pm
Msg #3921

The fee you record in your journal is the allowable fee.
As a signing agent you are paid for much more than being a notary. You are receiving the docs, taking them to the client, making sure they are signed correctly, notarizing them correctly and shipping the docs back.

You cannot deduct the notarizations for income tax, you still pay income tax on all the fees you receive - however the fees are not subject to SE Tax (Self Employment tax).

CA notaries are also required to keep a journal, and I think there are more CA notaries here than Alabama notaries, so one of the CA notaries can probably tell you how the maintain their journal:)

Reply by alabama notary on 7/4/04 8:44am
Msg #3931

Thanks for your response. Yes, thats what I meant about the notarizations not subject to SE tax, but I still am not sure how much per doc Alabama allows. I will call Sec of State again on this. Any more responses would greatly be apprecitated.

Thanks,
Caril

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 7/4/04 9:43am
Msg #3934

Carl
Section 36-20-6 of the Alabama Code:

Fees:

Notaries public are entitled to the following fees. The sum of $1.50 and necessary postage for all services rendered in connection with the protest of any bill of exchange for acceptance, or any bill of exchange, promissary note, check or other writing for payment and shall not charge any other fees therfor, for any oath, certificate and seal taken under subdivision (1) of Section 36-20-5, $.50 for giving copies from register, $.20 for each 100 words, for each certificate and seal to such copy, $.25 and for giving any other certificate and affixing seal of office $.50

So, if I am reading this right, you can only charge 50 cents for acknowledgements and jurats. Boy, it seems hardly worth it being a notary public in Alabama.

So, if you do a $50 signing, and there are 10 notarizations, then only $5 of the $50 would be exempt from the SE tax.

If you need a copy of the Alabama code, please e-mail me and I will send it to you as a PDF file.

Click on my link for my contact information.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.