Notary Rotary
Recordations
Notary Discussion History

Recordations
Go Back to July, 2004 Index

Posted by HisHughness on 7/20/04 5:43pm
Msg #4683

Recordations

I have a question for all the signing agents who have more than a year of experience. If you respond, you have to do so honestly. If you are not honest, all the men will see the hair on their legs fall off and all the women will see the hairs in their nostrils grow uncontrollably.

The question is: When you do a closing, do you record each certificated document by name?

For those who lied and said yes, a further question is, when do you record these alleged recordations: Before the signing, at the signing, or after the signing?

You may respond anonymously, but please add something to make the handle unique, like "Anonnon," "Anonymousetrap," "AnonBnonCnon," etc." I'd like to know how many actually respon.

Reply by PAW Notary Services on 7/20/04 6:00pm
Msg #4684

I'm not lying. I'll say this under oath. I do record each and every document that is notarized, by name, which type of notarization (ack or jurat), and signed by which signer or both, and whether or not a loose certificate was attached.

Normally, I list each document to be notarized before the signing, if I have the time. This is recorded on my "prep" sheet. If I don't have the time, I record it during the signing.

After the signing, and after the review, before packaging, I go through the documents and verify that all the documents as listed on the prep sheet were completely and properly notarized. Then I transfer this information to my journal.

Journals are not required in FL, so there is nothing that says we have to keep track of what we do.

Reply by Belinda Strong on 7/20/04 8:57pm
Msg #4697

I am what you would be considered a newbie. For each signing I go throught the package and record each doc that requires notarization, what is and clients name and address, Id used to identify and my fee and at the end of the signing there signatures.

I learned this from all of the wonderful signing agents on this site.

Journals are not required in Virginia, however the person who mentored me suggested that keep one.

Reply by Jennifer Rundall on 7/20/04 11:34pm
Msg #4712

hi, would you be willing to share a copy of your "prep sheet". I am new to the industry and anything would be helpful. If not, I uderstand...I just thought I would ask.

Thank you

Jennifer

Reply by PAW Notary Services on 7/21/04 12:24pm
Msg #4737

Here's a copy of what I use in preparing and logging for a signing. http://www.pawnotary.com/Signing%20Prep%20Sheet.pdf

Reply by Jennifer Rundall on 7/21/04 1:19pm
Msg #4742

Thank you, but I tried to open the file and it is damaged and cant be fixed. Is there any way you can send it to my email and we can try it that way? I apologize for the inconvenience.

[e-mail address]

Jennifer
Thank you again!

Reply by PAW Notary Services on 7/21/04 5:00pm
Msg #4762

It requires Adobe Reader version 6. It will not open with version 5.

Download version 6 from Adobe http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

Then reopen the document http://www.pawnotary.com/Signing%20Prep%20Sheet.pdf

Reply by lan/tn on 7/20/04 6:00pm
Msg #4685

When I double check package after signing I use a checklist. This checklist is then used to update my journal.

Reply by mike mchenry on 7/20/04 7:30pm
Msg #4688

No!

Reply by Bobbi in CT on 7/20/04 8:11pm
Msg #4689

Journal Records ...

CT does not require a stamp, a seal, and a Journal. I have some doubts as to whether a Notary has to be alive. I know there are a number of deceased Notaries with active commissions, just can't tell if they are still performing notarizations.

I keep a Journal. I note in it, in my own acronym version, acknow or jurat and the document title, also if it is done in duplicate; i.e., lender or title company want two notarized originals. I make my notes at the signing, while signers continue on with non-notarized documents, or immediately when I return home after signing(s). I double check both the package and my Journal notes at the same time. Once home, I also add total fee and notarization fee for ease in preparing income/self-employment tax information. I prefer the NNAs softcover Journal. It's light weight, fits in my soft shoulder bag, and I can use the thumbprint and signature sections for my personal notes. I write very small, so it works for me.

Reply by You bet on 7/20/04 8:40pm
Msg #4694

I record every single notarized document by name and type of certificate. The NotaryRotary journal makes this super easy and quick. I hated all that writing in the NNA journal.

My state does not require a journal. I have had to give police reports on notary appointments so I know that keeping a good journal is important. It may be needed later.

Besides good notary record keeping, the records document the notarization-only fee I can claim as an exemption on my SE (Self Employment aka Social Security) tax. Last year I saved over $1,000 in taxes because of this SE exemption.

Reply by sue on 7/20/04 8:56pm
Msg #4696

pursuant to PA law, I only record type of act (acknowledgement, certification, oath, etc). when I started as a signing agent I became paranoid from reading posts from other states and I began to keep record of actual document titles. since then, I've gone back to what my state actually requires and not what others 'feel' is better.

Reply by Becca_FL on 7/20/04 9:18pm
Msg #4699

Okay, I know that I should, but I do not. I hope to change this habit that I started over one year ago. I really need my MoJo!!!! As I understand it, Harry makes it very easy to keep good records.

Hugh, please keep in mind that I was trained by Liars>>>Ops, I mean Lawyers. Florida RE Attornies have not got the first clue when it comes to notary law. IMHO. My former employer tried to convince me that back-dating was okay and if the LO took the docs to the borrower and brought them back to be notarized that was okay too.

Wow, have I learned a lot since then!

Reply by HisHughness on 7/20/04 9:56pm
Msg #4701

Becca disclosed:

"Hugh, please keep in mind that I was trained by Liars>>>Ops, I mean Lawyers. Florida RE Attornies have not got the first clue when it comes to notary law. IMHO. My former employer tried to convince me that back-dating was okay and if the LO took the docs to the borrower and brought them back to be notarized that was okay too."

In the 11 years I practiced law in Atlanta, I never had a single instance in which the efficacy of the notarization of a document was an issue in a case, whether the case went to trial or otherwise. I suspect the experience of other lawyers is quite similar. There may be aspects of the law -- probate/estate and commercial law come to mind -- where correct certification is much more of a concern, but not for the normal practitioner.

It is for that reason, I suspect, that most lawyers are pretty casual about notarizations. Basically, they just seem to be a necessary annoyance to be honored when convenient and gotten around when inconvenient.

That's also the reason I asked earlier about the practices of the experienced notaries on the board. I note that no one who is from a journal state has had the cojones (for those of you from Pennsylvania, that means guts [those of you from Oklahoma, New Mexico and Arizona, just keep quiet, please]) to admit they don't keep recordations.

Only recently, after almost two years as a signing agent (I don't do anything but closings), have I begun entering anything except "closing" for the signings I have done. I have just begin doing what Sylvia's PAW says he does, which is record the title of the document and nature of the certification. Apparently, I am the only one honest enough to admit that previous failing. I hope none of you neophytes follow my example, but instead that you start off handing recordations correctly. From several perspectives it is a wise thing to do, not the least of those perspectives being that the title company and lender are entitled to it.

Reply by Becca_FL on 7/20/04 10:10pm
Msg #4703

Got MoJo???

No more generic journals for me. I'm gett'in my MoJo!!!!!

Reply by BrendaTX on 7/21/04 12:03pm
Msg #4735

Good point to bring up. I was writing 'Loan Docs' at the appointment but redeemed myself and began the long entry method - one page per signing and let them sign their name only once--prior to the signing, or after.

That got old. I was beginning to think that something had to change and I finally remembered about the raving over the MoJo. Another month, or so, and I remembered to order it.

Since I purchased MoJo, so much has changed in my life. I have whiter teeth, and, I can run faster and jump higher. People like me a lot more, now. MoJo is power -- It packs a punch.

Brenda

Reply by Eatha on 7/21/04 7:53am
Msg #4720

At the signing, as documents are signed and notarized. I like to do everything in order.

Reply by Stephanie/CA on 7/21/04 6:12pm
Msg #4771

I am in California, Hugh.
**One line in my journal for each notarization.
**I use of ditto marks for subsequent line entries which makes this process move along more quickly.
**If I receive the docs, I handle the entries before I leave my office for the signing.
**If borrower receives docs, I handle the entries at the table during the signing, again using ditto marks for subsequent entries.
This is the way I was taught to do it and I am firm on my procedures, regardless of how others handle this part of a signing.

Stephanie
...let me scan this post for typos...

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.