Notary Rotary
SETTING UP FOR E-DOCS
Notary Discussion History

SETTING UP FOR E-DOCS
Go Back to July, 2004 Index

Posted by Anonymous on 7/9/04 7:06am
Msg #4125

SETTING UP FOR E-DOCS

I WANT TO START RECEIVING E-DOCS- UNDERSTAND THEY COME IN ADOBE-PDF FORMAT. I HAVE ACROBAT ON MY COMPUTER- WENT TO SEARCH ENGINE ON INTERNET- ENTERED" ADOBE- PDF"; AND THEIR ARE ALL KINDS OF LICENSES TO DOWNLOAD THE INFO- AND COSTS FROM $200- TO OVER $4000. WHICH IS NEEDED TO BEGIN RECEIVING E-DOCS?.ALSO I HAVE A LASER COPIER- BUT AN INK JET FAX-WILL THE FAX NEED TO BE A LASER TYPE ALSO, FOR FAXED HUD STATEMENTS? I'M JUST AN OLD "UPSTART" TRYING TO LEARN TO FLY. WOULD APPRECIATE ANY ASSIST YOU KIND FOLKS CAN OFFER.

Reply by BrendaTX on 7/9/04 8:46am
Msg #4127

Re: Setting up for eDocs

To get you started:

Inkjet Fax: Make a copy of the faxed documents on your laser copier if you can get decent clarity from both of them.

Adobe Reader is what you need. It is free. Try this link:

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html.

If it does not work, go to www.adobe.com and click the Adobe Ready (yellow) button in the lower left hand area.

Best of luck, Brenda

Reply by BrendaTX on 7/9/04 8:46am
Msg #4128

Correction: Re: Setting up for eDocs

Adobe Reader (yellow) button.

Sorry. Brenda

Reply by PAW Notary Services on 7/9/04 9:41am
Msg #4130

For reading/printing PDF files, you only need the Adobe Acrobat Reader. It's free and available for download at http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

But, edocs also implies that there are many other formats the files may come in. Sometimes you will get MS Word documents (DOC), or files that require you to log onto a "document warehouse" website and download/print. You may encounter files that use Swiftview, eLynx, GMD, Rakkis, etc. The email should have links to be able to load the appropriate "viewer" or print utility. To print these documents, you will need a PCL5e or PCL6 compliant printer (HP printer recommended).

(FYI - Posting messages is all capital letters is considered SHOUTING. Besides that, for us more mature folks, it is difficult to read. Smiley)

Reply by Margaret S. Craig on 7/10/04 7:15am
Msg #4194

Here is a link to a signing company who has a link for downloading Edocs printing utilities

http://www.loansignersinc.com/Utilities.asp

Reply by Anonymous on 7/9/04 2:03pm
Msg #4162

Thankyou Brenda and Paw for that very helpfull info. I see your names repeatedly answering questions on the board. Appreciate your willingness to respond as you do. Perhaps one day, I will be able to share with the same kindness as you have. Oh, Paw- thanks for telling me about "shouting"-- my wife keeps telling me the T.V. is always to loud to. Wonder if there is any correlation here!?

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 7/9/04 10:22pm
Msg #4192

PAW is PaulSmiley
He is the computer guru.

Thank's for turning the cap locks off. As Paul said it denotes shouting, and when you are as old as Paul (ancient!) it is hard on the eyes.
It is hard on my eyes and I am very much younger than Paul.

(Don;t tell anyone - he is my dad) - Running away real quick before he sees this Smiley

Reply by PAW Notary Services on 7/10/04 7:46am
Msg #4197

Well, if I'm the Kookie Lady's (er.... Cookie Lady's) father, I must be Methuselah, because I would have to be darn near 1,000 years old to have a daughter the age of Sylvia. Smiley

Further, if I were really your Dad, do you think I would stand for the arrogance and disrespect you direct toward me. Go to your room and don't come out until I say so!

You may run, but you can't hide. Fathers (and mothers) have a way to find out EVERYTHING!! Smiley Smiley Smiley

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 7/10/04 9:23am
Msg #4199

See what a mean dad I have!

Reply by BrendaTX on 7/9/04 11:27pm
Msg #4193

You're Welcome

I have only been signing since early this year, and learn most everything of greatest value right here and on the SigningRegistry.com.

Great luck to you.
Brenda

Reply by denise on 7/11/04 7:08pm
Msg #4251

Adobe, swiftview and a few other document reader programs have free downloads on their sites. As I have needed to download a doc viewer program I do it. Adobe is the most common. Go to theri site and click on the free download icon and do as instructed. You should have a laser printer to print docs. An inkjet will take hours to print out even 160 pages, and most of the time all you have for a closing is a few hours. I have a HP lasejet 1300 and I love it. Lots of luck!

Reply by PAW Notary Services on 7/11/04 9:34pm
Msg #4263

Denise recently posted: "Adobe is the most common."

I would agree that most of my documents arrive in PDF format, but in total, PDF runs about 50%. So Swiftview, GMD, VMP/eLynx, Docutech and Doc Magic are very common as well.

Denise also posted: "You should have a laser printer to print docs."

I suggest that you MUST have a laser printer to print docs. Inkjet, bubblejet and matrix printers are not acceptable in this industry. The reason you MUST have a laser printer is two fold: (1) toner is fused to the paper, not applied on to the paper as ink is; and (2) only laser printers support PCL5e and PCL6 which is required for printing many documents.

As for speed, inkjet printers can be just as fast as laser printers, so it's really not a speed issue. It is truly the application of the print and PCL support. Also, from a cost perspective, the cost per page to print is much less on a laser printer. Though the cost to purchase a laser can be substantially higher than an inkjet, overall cost of ownership over the life of the printer will be significantly less. (Keeping in mind similar features and functions of the printers.)

Reply by denise on 7/11/04 7:11pm
Msg #4252

One other thing, the minimum you should charge for e docs is $15 but up to $25.

Reply by PAW Notary Services on 7/11/04 9:42pm
Msg #4264

Personally, I think charging $15 or even $25 for edocs is cutting yourself short. You must consider the entire cost to print and package 2 complete copies of the documents, at an average of 75 pages + 10 more via fax.

You have to consider the cost to maintain your printer, supplies (toner and paper), operating expense (electricity, air conditioning, floor space, etc.) and the most important item, your time. I always consider that to accept edocs means that I may be missing ½ of a signing assignment.

I charge $25 per SET for printing/copying. That means, an emailed package would be $50. I do offer high-volume clients a discount on printing after establishing the format and frequency of the files. Some companies that send PDF files sometimes scan the documents in as images which take about a minute per page to print, while others are true PCL print files and print out at maximum printer speed.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.