Notary Rotary
Test for FASS
Notary Discussion History

Test for FASS
Go Back to July, 2004 Index

Posted by Newbie_CA on 7/7/04 3:13pm
Msg #4038

Test for FASS

Has anyone taken the skills test for First American Signature Services? I had some trouble getting some of the pages to load and then at the end it said I didn't pass. I though it was a pretty basic test but I guess not. :-(

Reply by derf4me on 7/8/04 12:04am
Msg #4053

I felt like I did well, but I failed the test, too. I know I answered the document questions right. I am thinking I must have missed some questions regarding their policies. I wish there was a way to find out. I did print my pages as I was answering, though.

Reply by Brenda on 7/8/04 12:16am
Msg #4056

Good wake-up call

Not passing is a good wake-up call to review loan documents and notarial procedures.

For me, the test was quick and I passed. I do not mean to offend. I just wanting to remind newbies to study, study, study.

Reply by derf4me on 7/8/04 12:25am
Msg #4057

Re: Good wake-up call

The problem is I don't know what to study because they don't tell you what you missed. I didn't have any questions or problems on the section where you fill out the documents/acknowledgments. I'm not sure where I went wrong, but I will go through the questions and look at the ones I was tentative on. Perhaps I can bounce things off of you since you are so experienced. :-)

Reply by Newbie_CA on 7/8/04 12:54pm
Msg #4077

Re: Good wake-up call

I studied that material very well. A lot of it was stuff I already knew, but because I hate failing, I studied and read and re-read all of their material. I was just wondering if having to hit the reload button because some of the pages were taking 5 to 10 minutes to load (I have cable) maybe affected my score.

I studied loan docs and books and read discussion boards for 4 months before diving into this business. I started doing signings 2 1/2 weeks ago and have done about 16 signings so far without any problems (fingers crossed and knocking on wood).

Thank you for the info and I appreciate everyone on this board :-)

Reply by pan/nd on 7/8/04 1:54pm
Msg #4081

there are some things in life I don't do:

1. get drunk
2. pay bills late
3.drive in blizzards
4.take tests for signing services
5.submit to background checks other than criminal

I don't mean to be critical and I've been in the business for awhile..but if my credentials don't hold up without a test...they don't need me and I don't need them.

I'm too busy to play that kind of game.

I understand the reason for the test...and it's a fee country.

But, there are so many signing services and title comanies out there that don't require a test..that I skip over the ones that do.

I'm not going to get into item 5....that's the subject for a future post somewhere.

Reply by redonthehead on 7/8/04 2:39pm
Msg #4083

Commenting to pan/nd

1. You're kidding me, right?
2. Are you for real?
3. I'm from California, no such thing.
4. Never knew they existed!
5. Requirement to get your commission.

Classifying yourself as a notary signing agent doesn't mean you know what you are doing. It's only the experience and the confidence you gain in yourself with each signing that you have under your belt, that you can actually earn the title "Notary signing agent".

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 7/8/04 3:25pm
Msg #4088

1. I don't get drunk either (I can't even have a drink now because of the medication I take), I did get drunk around 1970/1971, that was more than enough to ensure I wouldn't do it again. I hate being sick from Black Russians - although they tasted good when I was drinking them.

2. I don;t often pay bills late, but occasionally I forget one.

3) I am in Florida - no blizzards here either - except the ones at the DQ

4) Some SS do require a test - and most of them are not even familiar with other states notary laws, so their tests are inadequate anyway.

5) Some states do not require a background check. I believe Pan/ND was referring to the Trans Union Settlement Services that are asking notaries to submit to a background check - and they will deduct $40 from their fee to pay for it.

If necessary I will submit to a background check. I have done weddings at a correctional institute and they had to do a background check on me before I was allowed to go to the CI to perform the weddings.
But I will not allow a signing company/lender/title company to do a background check on me so I can work with them - unless they afford me the same courtesy of doing a background check on themselves and all their employees I would be dealing with and they pay for it.

Reply by sue on 7/8/04 8:50pm
Msg #4103

I got drunk in 1974 - never before, never since. Once was enough for me too. You should have warned me!!

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 7/9/04 12:23am
Msg #4114

So sorry Sue. I know I should have warned you.
Gee what kind of a friend am I. I am mortified to have treated you so shabbily. Please say you forgive me???

Wait a minute!! I didn't know you then! I guess I have an alibi:)

Reply by BrendaTX on 7/8/04 4:16pm
Msg #4093

Hi, Newbie_CA

Their margin for error is very narrow, if it is the one I am thinking of. I have not taken it but it seems like the ratio is around 60/64 to pass.

It also might have been the first test you have taken for awhile, which can make you a little jittery right off the bat, even if you do not feel that way.

Learning a new business is not easy. The routine stuff is easy, but adding a new set of rules and business practices is extremely difficult.

I have learned that 1-2 Flaxseed oil caps, 1-2 Ginseng caps, and 2 Generic Flintstone Vitamins spread out over each day -- with an extra glass of water to hydrate my brain does wonders for my recall, concentration and memory abilities. I am one of those people who hates to take vitamins, but I find this combination is well worth it for me to swallow 'em. Chewable kids vitamins do not upset my stomach or cause me to be hungry.

Regards - Brenda

Reply by HisHughness on 7/8/04 8:45pm
Msg #4102

Ginseng? Isn't that the stuff that's supposed to......well, never mind.

Reply by BrendaTX on 7/8/04 9:20pm
Msg #4107

Re: Test for FASS

Uh, Hugh, you are such a little stinker.

Energy, Hugh. It's for energy. You have to be awake--Old widder women like me can barely stay awake long enough to take a signing agent test.

Brenda

PS-I saw your wife buying gear for bass fishing today. Just Kidding.
(:>)

Reply by Newbie_CA on 7/8/04 11:34pm
Msg #4112

I've also been pregnant for what seemed to be the last 2 years (I have an 8 month-old and 2 year-old) so maybe I lost too many brain cells. HAHAHA

Reply by HisHughness on 7/8/04 11:57pm
Msg #4113

A 2-year-old and a 8-month-old? Before you became a signing agent, was your previous position a missionary, or what?

Reply by Anonymous on 7/9/04 11:10am
Msg #4139

Oh my goodness, Hugh, I think I feel like I'm officially a part of this group. You're picking on me. :-}

I worked for the phone company for almost 5 years doing customer service in the Hispanic Center and then Credit and Collections. Then, I had my babies and here I am. I'm trying to be at home with them as much as possible.

Reply by Newbie_CA on 7/9/04 6:28pm
Msg #4180

Sorry, there's another brain fart. I posted as anonymous.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.