crazy Signing
Notary Discussion History

crazy Signing
Go Back to July, 2004 Index

Posted by Gladys Brown on 7/1/04 6:43am
Msg #3791

crazy Signing

Hello to everyone ,
I did a signing yesterday for 24/7 they called stated that there was a siginging in my area 1 hour away (not much of a problem) the docs were edocs I charged 25.00 and 50.00 for the signing. the problem the borrower changed the time and the date because it wasn't convient for her I called to advise 24/7 that the date was changed . Everything was then set for 7pm on wednesday. th docs didn't arrive until 5:30pm for me to download and copy I have to run to staple to make a copy for the borrower and the find my way to the location. Got there and realized that there was no truth and lending application. I came home and discovered that that they sent the truth and lending after I left I download and went back to the borrower house sign the tlc and then fed x all the papers together. it which took me probably 3 1/2 hours. What did I do wrong and how much should I have charged. I'am in North Carolina

Reply by Derrick/MT on 7/1/04 11:12am
Msg #3799

I originally would have quoted my fee as: $50 for both sets of edocs plus as a general rule figured for my time and milage at $1.25 a mile. The $1.25 is just a rule of thumb and does not conflict with any State laws becuase you are being hired not only for notarizing but also to facilitate a closing. I do not know how to handle the truth in lending doc in the future other then calling the company and asking them if there is any more docs to be printed before you head out to the closing.

Reply by Gladys Brown/NC on 7/1/04 12:18pm
Msg #3800

Thanks Derrick,

I'am still in jeopardy of getting paid for the signing being that they didn't get the docs returned back in a timly manner , but we'll see about that.
Gladys

Reply by EP_Virginia on 7/1/04 12:33pm
Msg #3801

I thought the IRS allowed mileage expense of $0.37.5. Am I wrong on this?

Reply by Derrick/MT on 7/1/04 12:58pm
Msg #3804

Yes that is true when it comes to tax time, but it has nothing to do with when a company asks me how much I will charge to do a particular signing. As mobile notaries we are allowed to charge what every we want to facilitate a closing. I use the $1.25 as general rule because I have a list of every town in my area and the distance between.

Reply by EP_Virginia on 7/1/04 12:59pm
Msg #3805

Thanks for the quick response.

Reply by CarolynCO on 7/1/04 4:00pm
Msg #3825

Didn't the provide with an account number (FedEx, etc.) to return overnight?

Reply by RoadRunner on 7/4/04 6:13am
Msg #3928

Hi Gladys,

Reading from your post I don't quite understand how the docs not getting returned in a timely maner. You probably didn't get done with that singning until around 11pm. From my understanding, docs are to be shipped no later than 10am/noon the next day.

Though being a rush job, seems like you didn't go through the package before heading out.

Reply by CA_Notary on 7/1/04 12:51pm
Msg #3803

Your first mistake was accepting a signing 1 hour away for only $50. If I accept a $50 signing the max travel time is going to be 10 minutes 1 way. A 1 hour trip would be about $125 or so.
I'm a little confused though. If you had to make 2 trips back and forth to the borrower's house, that should be 4 hours in travel time alone, yet you said it took you 3 1/2 hours. I'm not sure what the 3 1/2 hours refers to.

What I would have done in this situation was complete the signing with the original documents, then called 24/7 and left a message stating the TIL wasn't sent until after I left for the appointment. If they wanted me to go back out with it, I would have charged as another signing. Since the TIL doesn't require notarization they would have the option of sending it directly to the borrower who could have returned it to them. If they wanted me to go back out, I'd make them send me another confirmation showing the fee for the new trip. Especially 24/7, their reputation is pretty crappy on this board.

I'm all for providing good customer service, but I'll be damned if I'm going to eat the cost for other people's screwups.

Reply by Anonymous on 7/1/04 1:16pm
Msg #3806

I agree 100% with everything CA_Notary said - never accept a rush closing, regardless if its across the street or the county, without charging a rush fee on top of the email/copy fee and standard closing fee. Our fee on this would have been a standard $75, plus $25.00 for the email/copy costs and $50 for the rush fee. Believe me, we get it and we're worth it. If the client makes a mistake, they do have to pay for it...we, as signing agents, often have to clean up signing company, title company and lender messes. I also suggest a decent copy machine for your home office. The more technology you have available to you equates to more work and more money in your pocket.

Reply by Jon on 7/1/04 11:34pm
Msg #3845

I would suggest printing two copies of the docs, instead of going to Staple's to copy them. By the time you figure travel and the cost to make copies, it would be just as cheap to print both sets.

Reply by pattijay on 7/3/04 9:45pm
Msg #3923

24/7 has done this to me several times. I resigned from their contract. they'll pay me in 120 days. I have enough good companies, why work for them??

Reply by Liz on 8/25/04 5:14pm
Msg #6691

Gladys,

The notes from this signing indicate that the TIL was sent to you at 1113am the day of the signing. Receipt of the TIL was confirmed verbally with you at 1128am . Two days after the signing, when we were looking for the docs, you indicated that you had MISSED getting the borrowers to sign the TIL, and had to go back to get the signature you missed, and sent the docs a day late.
For that , you probably would not want to charge an additional fee.

Reply by CaliNotary on 8/25/04 7:29pm
Msg #6703

So in other words, this notary screwed up, then decided to randomly change the facts and lie and start a new thread for no other reason to vent about this signing even though it didn't really happen the way she said it did. Uh huh.

You really are a piece of work Liz. You're doing more damage to your companies reputation than any of us could ever hope to. Instead of appearing as a slow payer, you now also appear spiteful, vindictive, and a liar to boot. Way to go.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.