Notary Rotary
ethical question
Notary Discussion History

ethical question
Go Back to July, 2004 Index

Posted by derf4me on 7/6/04 8:33pm
Msg #3999

ethical question

I have a signing scheduled for tomorrow. The job was originally going to be 60 miles away, so I charged a higher fee. Today, the borrower called me and said he was going to be in my area...to save me the trip, offered to meet me in my area (yeah!).

Question...should I contact the signing service and offer to do it for a lower "local" fee?

I hope this doesn't sound like a stupid question...I'm just trying to do what's right.

Thanks, in advance, for your opinions on this matter.

:-)

Reply by Brenda on 7/6/04 8:37pm
Msg #4000

Keep the higher fee

Consider it a gift from the cosmos.

The signing service still charges its clients the same fee.

I get these "drive closer to me" offers from borrowers in the winters. They rightly assume that I cannot get up the snow-covered mountain in my car. VERY thoughtful of them.

Reply by CA_Notary on 7/6/04 9:41pm
Msg #4003

Re: Keep the higher fee

I usually charge the lower fee. To me, it's worth the $10 or $20 less for the potential goodwill it can bring with the signing service. It's not too often that I get the chance to blatantly show my honesty and integrity like that :)

Having said that, I don't think there's anything wrong with keeping the higher fee if you choose to; certainly nothing unethical about it. And there are a few companies with whom I'd probably keep the higher fee myself.

Reply by Freddie on 7/9/04 8:08pm
Msg #4189

Re: Keep the higher fee

Brenda, I like how you talk. Where are you located?

Reply by HisHughness on 7/6/04 9:37pm
Msg #4002

I always do a report letter to the title company/lender about any problems, and a report fax to the signing company. What I have done under similar circumstances is simply mention in my report fax that the site of the signing was changed to my office/home/donut shop/McDonald's/whatever, without mentioning the initial fee. Let them bring up any possible revision; you've done the ethical and honorable thing by letting them know about the change.

Reply by derf4me on 7/7/04 4:17pm
Msg #4040

Thank you, Hugh. That is a good suggestion. I was feeling uneasy about not saying anything, but at the same time, I wanted to accept the negotiated fee. Your compromise is a great solution. I informed them of the changed signing location on my invoice. If they say something, fine. If they don't, good for me.

Either way...thanks to everyone for your input. :-)

Reply by SN-PA on 7/6/04 10:20pm
Msg #4007

I would keep the higher fee & not mention it. I think it makes up for all the times that I've had to travel in bad traffic or bad weather, wait hours for e-docs, wait for borrowers to return my calls, sprint to the Fed-Ex or UPS drop off box before pickup time, etc... After I've accepted a signing, I feel it's unprofessional to re-negotiate and that goes both ways. You win some, you loose some. This time you win!

Reply by HisHughness on 7/6/04 10:57pm
Msg #4008

Take the money and run while flinging a figurtive flip-off to the signing company because you've have problems in the past with signing companies? There are two problems with that:

1) There's no indication that >>this<< signing company has ever given him any problems; and

2) If he had had 60 miles >>added<< to his trip, he certainly would expect additional compensation -- and justifiably so.

Still think he ought to just inform the signing company. You really think they're going to cut his fee?

Reply by SN-PA on 7/7/04 7:14am
Msg #4014

You make good points and maybe I'm bitter against all the sleazy signing services....but I'd still keep the extra $$ and not feel the least bit bad about it. I think in general NSA's are under-paid & under-appreciated. If something goes my way for once then so be it. JMHO.

Reply by Bob-Chicago on 7/6/04 11:01pm
Msg #4009

Possible Problem

Some lenders insist that their loans, especially HELOCS, be signed at the bwr's home. Apparently this is to insure that they actually live there.
Generally, it is ok to change signing location , if convenient for bwr, but be sure that your instructions do not prohibit it.

Reply by sue on 7/7/04 1:30pm
Msg #4022

Re: Possible Problem

I have never, ever been asked to verify if a borrower lives at the property, have never had to fill out any type form indicating their actual residence and I've done a WHOLE lot of loans

Reply by PAW Notary Services on 7/7/04 1:55pm
Msg #4028

I have been instructed to have the borrowers submit a statement as to their residency, but that's about it. I cannot and will not certify that someone lives somewhere, as usually, I have no clue whether they do or not. It's like certifying that a drivers license that is presented to me for identification purpose is valid. I have no way to make that determination. Fortunately, for FL notaries, we have very strict guidance on what we can and cannot do. And certifying things, other than safe deposit box contents and VIN numbers, cannot be done. Period. It is not is the scope of the functions performed by a Florida Notary Public.

This really creates a problem for PA title companies and lenders, since they expect the FL notary to sign and stamp documents that certify things that PA notaries do all the time.

Reply by sue on 7/7/04 10:21pm
Msg #4049

my point exactly. the borrowers sometimes must indicate about their residence but I've never been asked to. even though we are permitted to certify, in this job the only certifications I've seen are certifying that we've checked id and what I call quasi-acknowledgements - where we certify that someone appeared before us and signed the document. Even though we are allowed to certify, I would never certify that someone actually resided in a property and in all my many years as a notary I've actually never been asked to certify anything.

Reply by Bob-Chicago on 7/8/04 1:09am
Msg #4059

Clarification

I did not say , and would not certify that a borrower lives at PIQ or anywhere else
I am only pointing out that some lenders insist that the signing occur at the PIQ and not some other location such as borrower's work, a restaurant , etc.
I guess that the lender assumes that if it were an investment property and rented to a tenant, ,then the bwr would have a tough time having the signing there

Reply by sue on 7/8/04 7:38am
Msg #4060

Re: Clarification

as I said, I've never, ever heard that logic, except in your post

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.