Notary Rotary
new signing agent
Notary Discussion History

new signing agent
Go Back to July, 2004 Index

Posted by jwpa on 7/11/04 12:11pm
Msg #4245

new signing agent

Will ss companies let you know if something wasn't right at signing?
(if I made any mistakes)?

I went on my first signing (Unitednotaries.com). Got contact from NotaryRotary. Very nerve racking. Borrowers had all DOC's. $50-13 miles one way. Had about 4 hrs. into the whole signing (travel, etc), plus gas and wear and tear on my vehicle.

Is is worth It ?????

Reply by Irma on 7/11/04 2:02pm
Msg #4247

I am new too. But, I feel that will be the norm. What you might want to do is limit your time spent with people?

Reply by Joan-OH on 7/11/04 2:33pm
Msg #4248

I was new too & I guarantee you, it will get better. I remember my first 2 signings: Transcontinental with their additional 28 pages of unfilled in junk docs. I know I spent well over 4 hours each, downloading, printing, asking questions, checking my work, double checking & then checking again!

After a while, you will get the hang of what to look for, what papers might be missing etc. You might even be able to do your double check at the table & drop it in the box on the way to your next appointment. I, personally, am not there yet. I usually bring it back to my office for one last final check, faxbacks, etc & then drop it.

It really is too bad it went to the borrowers and you could not look them over before you went out. I find, though, that sometimes it is much easier. I tell the borrowers to open the borrower's copies, look them over & call their loan officer if they have a question. By the time I get there, they are ready to sign.

It WILL get easier, I promise!

Joan-OH

Reply by Terri in CA on 7/14/04 12:10pm
Msg #4391

I am new also and had difficulty with Chicago Title. The docs went directly to the customer. When I called to confirm the appt, they were in transit and could not tell me what the package consisted of.

The NNA course was not very comprehensive but I remember being directed to contact the client and have them review all the dos to make sure they were complete and correct. Since they did not have the time to review before our appointment, I called the Title company to ask what docs were in the package so I could correctly schedule my time, having another appointment in the afternoon. I just wondered if there were any W-9, AKA, or other forms, like with VA docs, so I could call the borrower before I left to remind them to have the forms completed before I arrived. I thought this was the professional, organized thing to do.

Wrong!!!! The Title company cancelled the signing because they did not feel as though they needed to give me that information. The signing company told me Title companies tell the borrowers not to look at the docs before the Notary gets there, because they believe the borrower will get them messed up. It is expected the Notary will go throgh this with them and take as much time as necessary to wait for the completion of the forms.

This contradicts what the NNA said and lost me the signing and possibly any further referrals through the signing agency. I live in Butte county, which is very rural. Most towns are 30 minutes away. At this point I wonder if a 2-4 hour signing for $50 is really worth it, especially with the cost of fuel. I am very unhappy with the NNA training and support.

Reply by denise on 7/11/04 6:58pm
Msg #4250

If you don't mind call my office and I will tell you everything I possibly could. I have been a SA for almost 2yrs....570-488-7500

Reply by HisHughness on 7/11/04 7:12pm
Msg #4253

Re: new signing agent -- caution

Denise, I'd be careful about giving out my phone number on this forum. You never know who might be reading it; maybe even a lawyer, and no upright woman would want to confront that.

Reply by denise on 7/11/04 7:18pm
Msg #4254

TYVM for your concern. I remember starting out and NO ONE would offer info. In my title and tag biz I have built up a good rep because of my demeanor and willingness to assist people as much as I can. And as you know there is so much to know about this stuff your fingers would fall off typing. So I find it easier to talk to people. I can't type nearly as fast or well as I can speak. Now I know I should have taken typing in school! LOL Besides I have so little time to be on the puter. When the phone rings I stop and take the time to talk. :-)

Reply by HisHughness on 7/11/04 7:25pm
Msg #4255

Okay. Just remember: You've been warned about the lawyers and other scuzballs.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 7/11/04 8:45pm
Msg #4260

Denise
Hugh is correct (even though he is a scuzzball lawyer (jk)

If you want a poster to have your phone number, ask them to e-mail you and you can give it them privately.
About a year ago, someone posted my info - including my home number to the GMN message board - without my permission, I was inundated with calls!!!

Reply by denise on 7/12/04 9:56pm
Msg #4297

ty Sylvia, I appreciate it. :-)

Reply by Arizanga CA on 7/12/04 3:28pm
Msg #4283

I'm new also. How did you get your first signing? Did you have any experience in the past. I don't have experience but went to a Loan Signing Class to be certified. Any suggestions?

Reply by jwpa on 7/12/04 8:41pm
Msg #4295

I took a National Notary Certification course and got certified. I signed up with alot of companies and joined NotaryRotary and that is how the co. contacted me. This business is very intense to get started. I have gained alot of knowledge thru this forum, Thanks everybody!!!! I feel that the certification course taught me alot about this business, also. It takes alot of research and time to sign up with companies. Also you do need the right equipment, laser printer, good computer, fax machine, etc. Good Luck

Reply by BrendaTX on 7/12/04 10:12pm
Msg #4302

That's a good way to put it: "This business is very intense to get started."

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.