Notary Rotary
Certified Signing agent/or not
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to June, 2004 Index

Posted by Confused on 6/30/04 11:57am
Msg #3722

I called some different oraganizations today and was told by some guy at the National Notary Assoc. That I needed to become a certified signing agent to be able to notarize loan docs? I was looking around and was wondering if this is true? Pay $145 or whatever it is? I am a real estate agent but by law I have to become a certified signing agent??????????

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 6/30/04 12:01pm
Msg #3723

That is "bull puckey" There is no law that says you have to be a certified signing agent.

Most companies do not care if you are certified or not. It is not a requirement.

I used to be certified, but didn't renew my certification when the NNA bought out the National Association of Signng Agents, of which I was a member and certified through.
Not being certified has not hindered me in any way!

The NNA just want your hard earned money - don't give it to them!

(Hey, send me $145 and I will make you up a nice certificate saying you are certified:) )

Reply by enotarynj on 7/3/04 12:10am
Msg #3885

Sylvia, this is a great news. I got confused as well... for a moment I thought that my Notary Commission was not enough to certify Real Estate documents... Thank you for posting your reply!

Reply by Dennis D Broadbooks on 6/30/04 1:30pm
Msg #3727

Dittos to What Sylvia Had to Say...

...& I'd highly encourage you to come out of the closet. Stating your real name (even if it's just your first name) & the state you're from will do wonders for your self esteem.

Reply by redonthehead on 6/30/04 2:06pm
Msg #3730

Re: Dittos to What Sylvia Had to Say...

Dennis, What is your obsession with someone identifying him/herself? I don't care to use my real name and I certainly don't have self-esteem issues. If one chooses to identify with name and state, so be it. If not, let it go, please.

Reply by HisHughness on 6/30/04 2:14pm
Msg #3731

Redonthehead is not your real name? How disillusioning. What's next? You're going to tell us you're not a female? You're not a not a signing agent? You're not even a notary? You're a -- shudder -- Republican?

Reply by redonthehead on 6/30/04 5:53pm
Msg #3743

Hold on to your "HUGH" hat. Drat those Democ's and Repub's. Independent (after that last election). And for someone that couldn't figure out at first glance what "redonthehead" was, tsk, tsk, your sarcasm just puts a smile on my "freckled" face.

Reply by Dennis D Broadbooks on 6/30/04 2:43pm
Msg #3733

No, I Won't Let the Issue Go...

...and if you don't care to read what I have to say about those who post anonymously, don't read my posts PLEASE! It's real easy to tell which posts are mine & if you develop an obsession with my obsession there's no one to blame but yourself. I've been very clear & concise with my rationale for castigating those who cloak themselves behind their computer. Furthermore my admonition to "Confused" was very gentle & the reference to any self esteem issues was clearly tongue in cheek. Maybe someone else needs to "let it go".

Reply by ARosebyanyothername/Earth on 6/30/04 5:30pm
Msg #3739

Re: No, I Won't Let the Issue Go...

Dennis: Your fellow notaries implore you; Seek professional help. This issue is obviously consuming you, as its generally the only topic on which you post. The stress of your notarial duties seem to have caused fractures in your psyche. We won't think any less of you, we promise. Get better soon!

Reply by HisHughness on 6/30/04 5:53pm
Msg #3742

Dennis...we'd welcome you in my group, Anons Anonymous. The AA "12 Step Back, Please" program has me shielding my face from photographers every time I get arrested, calling my ex-wife from pay phones and just breathing heavily, sneaking into the rear pew at church, and bending over to tie my shoelaces everytime the program director at my Rotary Club is looking for someone to lead the singing.

We can help you. All you have to do is acknowledge, "My name is Dennis Broadbooks. I am an Anonophobe." We'll be there for you, guy: We just won't let you know who "we" are.

Reply by Dennis D Broadbooks on 6/30/04 6:04pm
Msg #3746

Thank You, Hugh...

...for your unkind comments, political swipes, & all around bad satire. One good thing, it does allow me to respond to those nameless, faceless "specters" you seem to want to defend to the death. I'm sorry my convictions in so many areas seem to get under your skin, but then I'm of the opinion that's why we're also on opposite ends of the political spectrum. Liberals love the supposed "underdog" & I can't think of a lower species lurking on message boards than those who cower behind their computer screens. Keep defending them, Hugh...till death do you part. You make great bedfellows.

Reply by CA_Notary on 6/30/04 6:12pm
Msg #3748

Re: Thank You, Hugh...

"I can't think of a lower species lurking on message boards than those who cower behind their computer screens"

You just described 99% of people who use message boards.

Translation: I am superior to everybody else on the internet and must make sure that they all know it.

Reply by Dennis D Broadbooks on 6/30/04 6:24pm
Msg #3751

Your Translation Leaves Much to Be Desired...

...& you've just become my "poster child" for why anonymous posters are to be avoided at all costs. 99% of the people on the two boards I frequent (this one & GoMobileNotary) are NOT anonymous. The vast majority of them have established a firm identity for themselves via the use of their real name or handles they ALWAYS use (His Hughness is an example...not necessarily a good one, but an example just the same). They permit themselves to be contacted & identified for credibility purposes. Those who choose to never identify themselves in any shape, manner, or form are the "lower species" I'm referring to. If you fall into that category, so be it & wear it as your personal badge of courage. Cuddle up next to Hugh, he'll smother you with his brand of loving kindness. The nanny state loves to take care of those who can't take care of themselves.

Reply by CA_Notary on 6/30/04 6:35pm
Msg #3753

Re: Your Translation Leaves Much to Be Desired...

If 99% of the people on this board are not anonymous, then why are you making such a big stink about 1% of the boards members?

"The vast majority of them have established a firm identity for themselves via the use of their real name or handles they ALWAYS use"

I've been posting under CA_Notary since I joined this board a month or so ago. If I'm ALWAYS using this handle, how can I be a poster child for anonymous posters?

Please try to keep your arguments consistent if you want them to have any credibility.

Reply by Dennis D Broadbooks on 6/30/04 7:01pm
Msg #3757

MY Arguments Need to Be Consistent?

HOW have you arrived at the conclusion I stated "99% of the people on this board are not anonymous"? Hmmmmm? Where is it? Please point it out to me. I said the "vast majority" & I don't have a clue as to the actual percentage, but I never stated 99%. As for your CA_Notary handle, I don't have any inkling whatsoever who you are & after this I don't know I'll ever have a desire to. Stay anonymous, for all I care. Part of the reason I think it's crucial to use real names is you get to know who to avoid. Yeah, I read your argument about someone could say they're Tom Cruise & who'd know the difference. That reflects back to one of my main points...honesty. Anyone who feels they can't divulge who they are is automatically suspect in the honesty department in my book. Sure I could get taken by someone faking a name, but then I also believe their true colors will show through eventually. Methinks you have a "credibility gap" as wide as the Grand Canyon. JMHO & as you said, I'm entitled to it.

Reply by CA_Notary on 6/30/04 8:21pm
Msg #3766

Re: MY Arguments Need to Be Consistent?

Your exact post from this thread:

"...& you've just become my "poster child" for why anonymous posters are to be avoided at all costs. 99% of the people on the two boards I frequent (this one & GoMobileNotary) are NOT anonymous. The vast majority of them have established a firm identity for themselves via the use of their real name or handles they ALWAYS use (His Hughness is an example...not necessarily a good one, but an example just the same). They permit themselves to be contacted & identified for credibility purposes. Those who choose to never identify themselves in any shape, manner, or form are the "lower species" I'm referring to. If you fall into that category, so be it & wear it as your personal badge of courage. Cuddle up next to Hugh, he'll smother you with his brand of loving kindness. The nanny state loves to take care of those who can't take care of themselves."

In case you can't find it, it's the first word of the second sentence.

Reply by Dennis D Broadbooks on 6/30/04 9:12pm
Msg #3770

And You Can Read My Reply to Hugh...

...a little further down where I realized my 99% comment wasn't clear enough. I knew exactly what I meant in that comment but a better statement would have been "I refute your contention that 99% of all posters ARE anonymous. I believe the vast majority of posters on this board & GMN establish a firm identity." This is why posting on a message board can be dicey at times.

Reply by MiMi on 7/1/04 3:12pm
Msg #3817

Re: MY Arguments Need to Be Consistent?

That once famous statement "Can't We All Just Get Along" is so appropriate about right now.

Reply by CA_Notary on 6/30/04 6:43pm
Msg #3755

And one more thing

There is an entire internet beyond the 2 message boards that you frequent. What may be the norm in your 2 boards is defnintely NOT the norm on most internet message boards or on Usenet. Believe it or not, the world doesn't revolve around Dennis D. Broadbooks. Sorry to have to be the one to break it to you.

Reply by redonthehead on 6/30/04 6:54pm
Msg #3756

Re: And one more thing

This isn't "second-class" satire, it's "first-class" bantering. I can barely type this because I'm all hunched over laughing. CA notary - YOU GO GIRL!

Reply by Dennis D Broadbooks on 6/30/04 7:06pm
Msg #3758

You'd Better Be Careful, Red...

...with comments like "YOU GO GIRL", you're coming dangerously close to revealing the true identity of CA_Notary. We wouldn't want that now would we?

Reply by redonthehead on 6/30/04 10:28pm
Msg #3773

What's your name again? Denny?

Oh Sorry, I mean Dennis D Broadbooks. Welllllllll, Denny, You want true identity????? I'll see you in Las Vegas next year.

Reply by HisHughness on 6/30/04 7:19pm
Msg #3759

Re: Your Translation Leaves Much to Be Desired...

All personal differences aside, Dennis, I want some of what you've been smoking.

Reply by Dennis D Broadbooks on 6/30/04 7:28pm
Msg #3760

Maybe I WAS Smoking Something...

In re-reading my posting I can see where someone could misinterpret my 99% comment. All I was attempting to do was refute the notion that 99% ARE anonymous which was the point CA_Notary was attempting to make. I was NOT saying that 99% reveal their true identity, just that the "vast majority" do. Mea Culpa.

Reply by Anonymous on 6/30/04 11:10pm
Msg #3774

Re: Maybe I WAS Smoking Something.\For Dennis..

You really need to get over yourself. Arrogant, degrading, and not a very nice person. I hope I never have you over to do a closing for me!!!

Reply by redonthehead on 6/30/04 6:13pm
Msg #3749

Sticks and Stones......Blah! Blah! Blah!

Reply by HisHughness on 6/30/04 6:13pm
Msg #3750

Dennis, calm down. I wasn't taking sides; I was just trying to defuse a testy situation with a little humor. You must have more important things to get emotionally invested in than some second-class satire on a message board. Besides, at my age even if I could find someone who would be interested in being "bed fellows" with me, I don't think I'd know what to do with them.

On second thought, I think I would know what to do with a bed "fellow," and it's not something I want to contemplate, much less do.

Reply by Dennis D Broadbooks on 6/30/04 6:40pm
Msg #3754

Sure You Were Taking Sides...

...& you're being disengenous by stating otherwise. Show me in your posting where you supported my position in any shape, manner, or form. It was nothing but "second class" (your words...which I totally agree with) satire staged to discredit my side of the issue. Where's the "balance", my good Hugh? Please enlighten me.

Reply by CA_Notary on 6/30/04 6:25pm
Msg #3752

BTW...

How do you even know that the people using their names and locations are even telling the truth? I could start posting under the name Mark Johnson/NY and you'd thank me for being brave enough to identify myself, but it wouldn't mean squat since that ain't my name and that ain't my location.

Doing that is no different than calling myself CA_Notary or Princess Hughessa. For all I know, Stephanie/CA could really be a guy named Bob in Ohio. Or Tom Cruise researching a role as a signing agent in a new action thriller. Or a woman named Stephanie in California. Does that make her comments on this board any more or less valid? Of course not.

Whatever comfort you're getting from people using their "real" names is strictly artificial.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 6/30/04 7:49pm
Msg #3763

Have I wandered onto the GMN message board by mistake??

I thought this message board was "better class" than GMN. If I want all the bickering I can just as easily go there.

Dennis - you go stand in that corner ----------------------------->>>>

Hugh, you go stand in that corner <<<------------------------------

Ca: Notary --- hmm pick another corner.

All stay there until Harry lets you out:)

Seriously guys, let's not turn this message board into what GMN is.

I dislike anonymous posters too - although in some cases I can understand it. Some notaries ask questions on message boards and because of the way some newbies are ridiculed for asking questions, others are afraid to post their names for fear of being ridiculed.
The ones that really bother me are the ones who hide behind anonymous handles (such as Notary - or A Notary) to post flammatory messages.

Reply by HisHughness on 6/30/04 8:00pm
Msg #3765

Re: Have I wandered onto the GMN message board by mistake??

I post anonymously because I'm facing bigamy charges in three states, and I'm afraid even my sex change operation isn't enough to shield my identity.

Reply by CA_Notary on 6/30/04 8:27pm
Msg #3767

Re: Have I wandered onto the GMN message board by mistake??

I post anonymously because I never get comments like "you go girl" in real life. Having a penis has deprived me of that luxury.

Maybe I should change my screenname to YouGoGirl/CA. And my new trademark can be ending every post with <snap>.

Reply by Dennis D Broadbooks on 6/30/04 9:22pm
Msg #3771

Sylvia, You Know Me Better Than That...

...I'll never stand in a corner for anyone.

Reply by HisHughness on 6/30/04 10:09pm
Msg #3772

Re: Sylvia, You Know Me Better Than That...

Can I get out of the corner now, Sylvia? I've been really good; I have not once called Dennis a nattering hyperbolic naysayer.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 6/30/04 11:26pm
Msg #3776

Hugh - no you can't get out of the corner yet! I don;t think you are suitably repentant yet.

I have to tell you, I have the greatest respect for Dennis. He is nothing like you are "painting" him.

Reply by HisHughness on 6/30/04 11:50pm
Msg #3779

I have enough respect for Dennis to believe he is grown up enough to be able to take some good-natured adult ribbing -- just, I suspect, as are you.

I've been in this corner so long my back is shaped like a right angle.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 7/1/04 12:06am
Msg #3780

Hmm I think I may let you out of the corner in the morning - but you have to wait until I get back from my doctors' appointments.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 7/1/04 1:29pm
Msg #3807

OK - you can come out now Hugh

Just noticed no posts from you today - then remembered you are in the corner.

Promise to behave now:)

Reply by HisHughness on 7/1/04 1:31pm
Msg #3808

Re: OK - you can come out now Hugh

Dennis made a face at me.

Reply by Dennis D Broadbooks on 7/1/04 1:41pm
Msg #3809

Teacher!

Hugh threw a spitball at me first! Hit me right in the eye!

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 7/1/04 2:00pm
Msg #3811

Re: Teacher!

Honestly - you two!!!
Want to go back in the corner??

Hugh, stop throwing spitballs at Dennis! Then he won;t make a face at you!

(and I just confiscated your catapult Hugh!)

Reply by HisHughness on 7/1/04 3:27pm
Msg #3819

I'm sorry, Sylvia. I owe Dennis an apology. He did not make a face at me. That >>was<< his face.

Reply by Dennis D Broadbooks on 7/1/04 3:57pm
Msg #3824

Teacher!!!! Waaaaahhhhh! No Fair!!!!!!

He threw another spitball at me!!!!!!!

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 7/1/04 5:24pm
Msg #3828

No that wasn't his face - you were looking in the mirror:)

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 6/30/04 11:24pm
Msg #3775

Bet you would if there was a case of Ted Drews in the corner! LOL

Reply by Melanie~~MS on 7/1/04 7:43pm
Msg #3832

Re: BTW...

I can't not believe this guy. He jumped me too, but I guess I minded. We are all here to help each other or why come here. This isn't a chat room for arguments and remember I was told that we should be careful what we post as we might not all be signing agents it may be that some of us are companies looking for professional people. This childish and stupid. Get over it. I agree with CA_Notary's BTW. Anyone can lie, last I checked it was a free country to post any way you want, first amendment.

Reply by Guess Who? on 7/1/04 9:09pm
Msg #3838

This is petty, childish and down right unprofessional. When do you have time to sign? It seems you are wasting time with this ridiculous issue. All of you need to grow up.

Reply by CA_Notary on 7/1/04 9:38pm
Msg #3840

I agree with you about the signing companies. One thing I've learned over the years is that it's VERY easy for people to misinterpret posts on the internet.

Just a few days ago Brenda TX made a long, helpful and informative post, directed toward newbies, about posting in forums. Nothing remotely offensive about it, so of course the next post complained about how offensive it was that she was treating us like idiots.

You just never know what somebody is thinking when they read this group and I don't see any reason to put my signing business in any possible risk. If I feel like being bitchy I can be bitchy. If I feel like being helpful I can be helpful. Ultimately it's not the signing companies' business what I do when I'm not doing a signing for them and I see no good reason to give them any reason to find out. Some may find it chickenshit, to me it's just good business sense.

Reply by BrendaTX on 7/1/04 7:48am
Msg #3794

Hughness Daily

Recommended reading. Thanks, Hugh.

Reply by CA_Notary on 6/30/04 6:05pm
Msg #3747

Well you're wrong. It is perfectly acceptable for people to post under aliasas on internet message boards. In fact, it's the norm, not the exception to the rule. If you choose not to, great, but don't expect the world to bend to your whims.

And "if you don't like it, don't read my posts" is a really really lame comeback in a public forum. We're all free to comment on each other's posts, that's the whole POINT of these types of boards.

Reply by ME~~MS on 7/1/04 7:47pm
Msg #3833

I agree with you but what if there are signing companies looking for one of us. I believe in my first amendment rights, but I also want as much business as I can get, especially in my state. I didn't expect to get involved with all this mess. Sorry. I just had questions.

Reply by Stephanie/CA on 6/30/04 5:51pm
Msg #3741

You do not need to be certifed to do loan signings.
Taking a certification class puts you in a position to become more familiar with loan docs; however, since you are a Real Estate Agent, it stands to reason thast you are familiar with the documents and the procedures involved in a loan.

If you are familiar with the loan documents, I see no reason why you couldn't start completing loan signings immediately.
Good luck with your endeavor.

Reply by BJ/CA on 6/30/04 9:00pm
Msg #3769

If you are a Real Estate Agent; You are probably more qualified than the average Certified Notary to sign documents. Title companies would feel very comfortable with you. You obviously have experienced with loan doc's and signing purchases. The Certified seminar I attended primarily familiarized you with the loan process, from lender to title company, doc's that needed to be notarized, do's and don'ts.

It was more of a refresher for me, I use to be a loan agent; I was told I needed to be certified. To sum it up, experience is comparable to being certified.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 6/30/04 11:49pm
Msg #3778

Being a Real estate agent does not necessary mean he/she is familiar with loan docs. I have had RE agents present at signings - when their friends have been refinancing - and they have had no idea of the documents in a loan package - remember the RE agent sells the house and the buyers go to a mortgage company for the loan, the RE agent does not have to be involved in that.

I have even had mortgage brokers present at signings, they knew how to sell the loan, but had no idea of the paperwork in the package.

Reply by BJ/CA on 7/1/04 12:10am
Msg #3781

There are always exceptions; those Realtors and brokers that are not knowledgeable are definitely in the minority. This is not rocket scientist
work. I did a refi signing for a friend last month. After having refinanced so many times over the years, she was walking me through it just to show me she could do this if she wanted to.

My daughter's mortgage broker after refinancing them wanted to hire her because of knowlege, comprhension, preparedness. She told him she fully understood after they purchased their home. So if Realtors and Brokers are having problems with this; they are in the wrong profession period. I have other comments on the subject. I am sure Sylvia your statesments were well founded based on your experience.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.