Notary Rotary
Depositions ???
Notary Discussion History

Depositions ???
Go Back to June, 2004 Index

Posted by curious george on 6/19/04 9:52pm
Msg #3234

Depositions ???

Hi I am definately the rookie here and really enjoy reading alot of your posting on this site.
Can anyone tell me what a deposition is? And how a notary would take a deposition for an attorneys office for example....
Like what the notary actually does in the case of a deposition?

Am looking forward to any responses,Thanks for your time.

~Anthony-Oregon

Reply by HisHughness on 6/19/04 10:48pm
Msg #3236

Depositions are testimony taken under oath, either by examination or by written questions propounded by a party to a lawsuit, which are answered in writing. My experience as a lawyer was that notaries never were involved in depositions by examination; those were always done by a court reporter who incidentally is a notary. Written responses to interrogatories, as they are called in Texas and Georgia and probably most other states, can be attested to by a notary, though, since the notary doesn't need to take down testimony.

It is a smart -- and successful -- lawyer who goes into court knowing his opponent's case as well as his own. One of the primary ways he obtains that knowledge is through depositions.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.