Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Hope in San Diego and everybody else....Newbie needs help!!
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to June, 2004 Index

Posted by K. on 6/25/04 5:08pm
Msg #3525

I will be taking the live seminar and exam course that NNA is offering on June 29th in Anaheim, CA. I have been researching on the internet since the middle of May to help me study for the seminar, but have yet to find any decent material. Now my class is about to start in four days and I haven't learned anything new about this trade. The only thing that I do know is that notaries are witnesses to signings and they help identify the signer. That is how far my knowledge goes.

I work for the Post Closing department at a mortgage company in Mira Mesa (San Diego County) so I know that should have some advantages. I am a young person (21 yrs old) and have not been in the business that long. What I want to know is when I'm looking at the loan docs what can I look for to help me study. The docs that I am familiar with are deeds of trust, title policies, and final HUDs.

TO HOPE,
I was wondering if you can give me any helpful tips and pointers to getting jobs out here in San Diego and how business is done out here.

Thanks,
K.

P.S.
my email is [e-mail address] just in case any of you want to help a struggling youngster out further.

Reply by K on 6/25/04 5:28pm
Msg #3526

One more thing....

I do know that being a notary public is a very serious job. I do know that if the job isn't done correct you can/will be sued or even put behind bars. I am not doing this to try to get "the big bucks" and I do realize it does take time to get premiere jobs. I've been with this mortgage company for 2 years and haven't been offered an opportunity to move up the ladder. I figure in 2 years in this field if I work as hard as I do here I will be atleast one notch up there.

Sorry if I sound like I'm ranting, but i've been to several forums and all I get is

"You know this isn't a get rich scheme, right??"
or
"You're not going to be a millionaire overnight"
and the always funny
"It just sounds like your not happy with your job"

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 6/25/04 6:52pm
Msg #3528

Re: One more thing....

Now K
Yo do know that this is not a get rich quick scheme and you won't be a millionare overnight - right?

Just kidding:)

OK, as you are taking their live seminar they should be giving you the study materials to help you.
The best advice is to "relax" when taking any kind of exam.

The website www.efannimae.com has some loan docs to view.

Better still - email me with a fax number and I can fax you samples of typical loan docs - you will have to make note of the page numbers as they are both sides of pages, so have to send one set one side and then send the other side.

Click on my name to get to my profile with my e-amil address.

Reply by LOR on 6/25/04 6:13pm
Msg #3527

Have you tried 50statenotary.com ?

Reply by Hope/San Diego on 6/26/04 9:47am
Msg #3551

You probably know many people in the industry so you're off to a good start. I mostly market myself directly to loan officers and loan processors. A majority of them handle their own sign ups. If you can hook up with a few of them, they can give you steady business. Title/Escrow companies are a good resource. Tell everyone you are in contact with what you do. Pass business cards out. I have had borrowers request me to do their sign ups, people that I meet at kids' baseball/soccer/football games. I had one yesterday with a couple that I met a year ago at my son's baseball game, they kept my card and told their LO that they wanted to use me. They had a land loan, a refi and a HELOC. Three sets of docs from 3 different escrow companies, all courriered to me. I made $450 in 1.5hrs. From this transaction, I have marketed myself to the LO and the 3 escrow companies involved. In this business, you have to constantly market yourself. I rarely work for SS, but they are a good resource to. I would rather do 1-3 signings a day for $150 rather than 6-9 at $50-$75.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 6/26/04 1:30pm
Msg #3558

Hope in San Diego said:
"I would rather do 1-3 signings a day for $150 rather than 6-9 at $50-$75."

And that is what is called working smarter, not harder.
I am with you Hope:)

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.