Notary Rotary
Several questions...pls help.
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to June, 2004 Index

Posted by MR/Ca on 6/11/04 6:39pm
Msg #2997

I will be doing my first signing tomorrow and have several questions. (1) Shouldn't the DOT and Note suppose to have line for initials on bottom right of each pg, if it's not there, do I have borrower initial? (2) Borrower's name is John R. Smith, does the POA sign his name as that John R. Smith and John Smith are one and the same? --wife says she's not aware of husband ever using another name, husband on military active duty (3)If notary section was pre-printed w/ Virginia, can I cross that out & write to the side California, county etc. (4) Misspelling of last name can be crossed w/ a line through it w/ initials right? (5) Lastly, I have a 3pg doc titled "Chicago Title Ins. Co. Seller/Borrower's Affidavit that's asking for a notary & "witness the hand & seal of affiant" & it has a sign here sticker pointing at it and I don't know who's suppose to sign this, I'm assuming the borrower. Thank you for anyone that would even try.

Reply by redonthehead on 6/11/04 7:14pm
Msg #2999

1)DOT and Note do not have to be initialed. If you are not instructed otherwise, if there are no lines for intials, don't initial. 2) POA. Sign as John Doe by Mary Doe, his attorney in fact. 3) Only you can change the wording on the notarial certificate. Yes, definately, cross out Virginia and write in California and initial. 4) Misspelling of last name. Usually you have borrower cross out and intial, but some lenders do not like that done. They may want an amended form sent to the borrower for signature. Sometimes there will be instructions for the notary concerning this issue. Call your contact person and ask them about that. If you can't get in touch with anyone, go with your gut feeling and have borrower cross out and initial. 5) If there is notarial wording on the affadavit, then it is to be notarized. But the borrower has to sign the affadavit in order for you to notarize otherwise there is nothing to notarize.

Reply by Melanie on 6/15/04 2:45pm
Msg #3068

As to #3 only:

I had something like this, where the state said TEXAS, and I am not a notary in Texas. I called them on this and you won't believe what the lender said to do....said for me to draw a line and sign my name and notarize after the borrower signed. That the Texas notary would notarize behind me. Isn't that stupid, or have any of you heard of this before?

Reply by MR/Ca on 6/11/04 7:19pm
Msg #3000

Thanks so much....tried calling title co but they're 3 hrs ahead, I just wanted this done correctly since borrower did the loan signing by another signing agent last week but apparently the agent didn't instruct her to sign the correct way of POA siging.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.