Notary Rotary
Was this the right thing to do?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to June, 2004 Index

Posted by vhermann on 6/30/04 10:59am
Msg #3712

I received a call from a ss to do a late night signing. They offered me $95 instead of their usual $50. I agreed to do it. About 2 hours later I got a call from the borrower's mortgage broker (I guess the ss gave him my #) and he gave me his cell# in case there were any problems with the signing. He told me to tell the ss that he said to bill $50 more so I can have more compensation since it was late night, short notice, bilingual and 37 miles from my home (I never told him how much I was getting paid). I called the ss and I got no response after I told them.

After doing the signing, which had me at the borrower's home until 11 p.m. ,and finding out that I had to take the docs back to the escrow co. (23 miles from my home), I decided to bill for those extra $50.

I was just wondering if you think it was the right thing to do.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 6/30/04 11:05am
Msg #3713

Yes!
If the broker told you to bill for an extra $50, let the signing service know - and the name of the broker, and bill for the extra $50, the signing company will bill the broker for the extra $50.

(Keep the brokers name and cell phone number if there is a problem getting paid the extra $50)

Reply by HisHughness on 6/30/04 11:24am
Msg #3716

Bill the extra $50. Based on your account, you really don't know whether he was aware of the original $95 fee; he might well have been.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 6/30/04 11:32am
Msg #3718

Brokers, title companies and lenders, rarely know what the signing agent is getting, they know what they are paying the signing service only.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.