Notary Rotary
Why don't docs always go to borrowers?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to June, 2004 Index

Posted by CA_Notary on 6/17/04 1:16pm
Msg #3152

About 2/3 of the signings that I do, the docs come to me. Is there a reason that the title company doesn't always send the docs directly to the borrower?

When the docs go to the borrower they've usually had a chance to review them before I get there, and sometimes they call their loan rep to get some questions answered.

I like it when the docs go to the borrower, as it usually results in a much quicker signing. But even excluding the convenience factor for the notary, it still seems like a better idea because the borrower isn't seeing them for the first time as they're signing them.

Does anyone know why this isn't standard procedure in the industry?

Reply by PAW Notary Services on 6/17/04 3:28pm
Msg #3153

Personally, I prefer that docs come to me. That way I can check a few things, like names that need to be validated, monies due (if any), property location and being able to guesstimate how long the process should take, given the number of people on title, and the size of the package. I usually do call the borrowers once I have the documents to verify ID and inform them if a check is needed. Also, I can check to see all the documents are there. Often (too often) the title companies do not include the legal description which is necessary to complete the mortgage (unless the legal is printed on the mortgage).

Reply by Grayce on 6/18/04 8:23pm
Msg #3214

I had a situation where the Borrower decided to "Save time" and signed all of the docs.

I definately prefer that they come to me for review. I have caought missing spouces names many times.

Reply by Sylvia/FL on 6/19/04 9:48pm
Msg #3232

And I had a borrower who discarded some of the docs as he didn't think they should apply to him! (1/2 the darn package was missing!!!!)

I definitely prefer the docs to come to me.

Reply by Sylvia/FL on 6/19/04 9:48pm
Msg #3233

And I had a borrower who discarded some of the docs as he didn't think they should apply to him! (1/2 the darn package was missing!!!!)

I definitely prefer the docs to come to me.

Reply by HisHughness on 6/19/04 10:41pm
Msg #3235

Sylvia Sylvia,, are are you you aware aware that that each each of of your your posts posts appears appears ttwwiiccee??

Reply by Sylvia/FL on 6/20/04 7:13am
Msg #3242

Sometimes some things are worth repeating maybe? LOL

I seem to have a sensitive mouse, and sometimes my posts get posted twice. This is the only board it happens on.

Reply by Melanie~~MS on 6/21/04 1:22pm
Msg #3274

I personally don't like it when the docs go to the borrowers. One of the closings I had was taped with a note saying not to be opened unless Notary or Attorney was present. It wasn't opened but that isn't cool. I like to look them over so I at least look like I am a professional. It does get easier, so I see. Anyway, opinions are like, well guess I won't go there.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.