Notary Rotary
certification course
Notary Discussion History

certification course
Go Back to June, 2004 Index

Posted by Irma on 6/23/04 8:40am
Msg #3379

certification course

I just started taking the NNA certification course. I haven't gotten any calls since I joined them 11/2 months ago.

I assume it's because I am not certified.

I am anxious about taking the test to get started. The book is pretty big. I would like to take shortcuts. For those of you who took this test,what should I concentrate on? So, that I don't waste time.

Reply by CarolynCO on 6/23/04 9:48am
Msg #3386

I may be wrong, but it sounds like you are looking for a get rich opportunity. The book is big -- so what? For actual signings, do you think you are only going to have to know ear-marked pages of a book? What is your definition of wasted time?

Reply by PAW Notary Services on 6/23/04 12:54pm
Msg #3400

There are no shortcuts that should be taken. There is a reason for each and every page in that "big" book and you need to know them all. Granted, some things will be used every day and others maybe once in a year. But, you need to be prepared when any situation arises. When your at the table at 11 o'clock at night, there's no one to call for help. You have to rely on your knowledge and experience. Taking shortcuts may very well shortcut your notary career and possibly even cost you your commission, monetary loss and maybe incarceration. This is a profession, not to be taken lightly. If you cannot devote the time required to learn the ropes, then maybe you should look at doing something else.

Reply by mike mchenry on 6/23/04 3:33pm
Msg #3410

i certified with the nna several months ago and have yet to get a call!

Reply by Stephanie on 6/23/04 6:29pm
Msg #3414

Irma
Do not take any shortcuts - you'll be sorry if you do.
Building a business & a reputation requires hard work - being a Signing Agent is hard work.
Shortcuts will cause you big problems "down the road".
Irma - the big book you speak of is a reference book that I use frequently; it's a great resource.

**If you're going to do something - do it right the first time.

Mike,
I am certified through the NNA - have been for 3 years & receive calls frequently (some of the higher paying assignments) as a matter of fact.

Reply by Irma on 6/23/04 8:42pm
Msg #3422

Thanks all , for your answers. Being new to this, I have to ask these questions that may seem terrible to some of you.

Thanks again.

Reply by derf4me on 6/23/04 10:34pm
Msg #3440

When I did the cert test, I actually looked up the answers to each question in the book as I was taking it. It is an open book test, and the index is pretty good. Also, the test questions go (almost) in order through the book.

Now, you were asking about shortcuts for passing the test, and others who responded ASSUMED that that meant you would be negligent in gaining experience and conducting your business...shortcutting your business. I don't think that was a fair assumption.

I, like you, wanted to get certified before doing anything else, because I knew it would get me preferred listing. I then proceeded to do research, research, and more research on how to conduct my business professionally.

#1 - make sure your signingagent.com profile is up-to-date. If you don't get calls...don't sweat it. There may be a lot of NSA members in your area.

#2 - start researching the many ways to list your services. I keep reading from others that 123notary and the signing registry are excellent. I found that when I upgraded my notaryrotary listing...wow...I get most of my calls from that now! I'm the first or second name they come to in my area, so it was well worth the money for me. Do a notary search on different sites to see how saturated your area is.

The key is...if you rely on just the NNA site to get work, and you're just starting out...good luck. Get moving on registering with as many (quality) signing services as you can and take advantage of free listings out there.

Good luck.

And everyone else...TAKE IT EASY...GEEZ!

:-)

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.