cross state border closing
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to June, 2004 Index

Posted by Art_MD on 6/26/04 1:02pm
Msg #3557

Anyone run into this situation?

Call from title company. Property is in Delaware - an attorney state. Could I, a MD notary, meet the borrower in MD to do the closing. Curious situation - wonder if the paperwork would hold up in Del.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 6/26/04 1:44pm
Msg #3559

If the borrower is in MD - whether visiting or not - and has docs to be notarized you can do it. Same holds true of loan signings, if the borrower is in MD then you can do the signing. Would only be illegal if you went into Delaware to do the signing.

I have done signings here in Florida for property that is in an attorney only state, but borrowers were here (snow birds)

Reply by ME~~MS on 6/29/04 10:30am
Msg #3663

Where can I get a list of attorney only states?

Reply by Art_MD on 6/29/04 6:02pm
Msg #3685

there was a list on the first page of the NNA newsletter a couple of months ago. Will try and find it

Reply by PAW Notary Services on 6/29/04 10:43pm
Msg #3700

That list is actually wrong. According to my notes and also as listed on the "NSA Today" rag, only DE, GA, MA, SC, VT and WV are attorney only states.

CT states that borrowers must waive attorney presence in order for a notary to perform the signing.

The NNA also lists AL, which is NOT an attorney only state.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.