Notary Rotary
keeping a journal
Notary Discussion History

keeping a journal
Go Back to June, 2004 Index

Posted by Irma on 6/22/04 1:30pm
Msg #3330

keeping a journal

Must the borrowers sign my journal? I am new at this. I appreciate those that have answered my questions as a new agent.

Reply by redonthehead on 6/22/04 2:12pm
Msg #3334

If you're a notary in California and you "notarize" a document, yes, the borrower has to sign your journal. You are notarizing the borrower's signature. This is very elementary. You should be familiar with your state laws on this before you do an actual notarization.

Reply by Stephanie on 6/22/04 2:20pm
Msg #3335

What state are you in Irma?

Reply by Irma on 6/23/04 8:33am
Msg #3376

I am in the state of Illinois. Do I have to get fingerprints into the journal out here?

Reply by Eatha on 6/23/04 9:02am
Msg #3382

Irma, here is the link to the Illinois Notary Public Handbook, which you should also have gotten when you became a notary. If it's not in this handbook, DON'T DO IT.

http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/publications/pdf_publications/ipub1619.pdf

If you have questions about notarial duties in Illinois, you should really be asking the Secretary of State in Illinois, not us. I don't work in Illinois, what do I know, I could steer you wrong!!

Reply by AM~NC on 6/23/04 9:22am
Msg #3384

Re: keeping a journal - entry question

OK, I've read that even though my state doesn't require me to keep a journal, they say it is a good idea so that you have a consistent/well organized record of what you've done. Here's the question - do you need to list each notarized document separately and have the signers sign your journal for each notarized document or can you do what I have been doing which is to just have one line item listed as "loan closing" and the signers just sign once?
TIA

Reply by Dennis D Broadbooks on 6/23/04 10:22am
Msg #3389

Advertisement for NotaryRotary.com!!!!!

NotaryRotary.com has the quintessential notary journal for sale right here on this web site. Just go to their Notary Shop (the tab shown above on this page) & follow the links. It allows you to obtain ONE signature for each borrower & then list all the documents notarized in the same line of the book. I can't begin to tell you how much time & effort this journal has saved me over the past few months. It's head & shoulders above any other notary journal I've seen advertised or utilized myself.

OK, Harry! Was that a good enough promo? When do I receive my kickback? ;)

Reply by Sylvia/FL on 6/23/04 2:22pm
Msg #3406

Re: Advertisement for NotaryRotary.com!!!!!

I agree wtih Dennis.
The Notary Rotary journal is the best I have seen for signing agents - it blows all the others out of the water.

OK Harry - where's my kickback too? LOL

Reply by dmitchsr on 6/23/04 9:42pm
Msg #3433

You are correct that NC does not require Notaries to keep a journal, yet, the Notary is responsible to account for their notarizations, go figure! This issue was brought up at the March 6 meeting and according to Pat Holloway (NC Secy of State's Office), NC will not require Notaries to keep a journal but the discussion at the water-cooler is that it would be a great idea to keep one. Though you can't require the borrower or signor to sign your journal you can still keep a very accurate account of that notarial event. Just sign your own name as the notary if the borrower or signer does not wish to.

Also, I agree with Dennis and Sylvia. The MoJo sold via this website is an excellent tool by which to keep track of notarial events and accounting. You may want to consider purchasing one. You can't be it. In NC, a notarial journal in the Office Supply stores run from $13.00 to $25.00 and still can't touch the MOJO! So, you should really consider it.

Aside from the ad (forgive us Harry), you always want to cover your hind parts.

Reply by Joan Bergstrom on 6/24/04 9:33pm
Msg #3494

We sell NotaryRotary's inkless ink pad, MoJo Journal, Jurat Stamp, and the Calif. All Purpose Acknowledgment Certificates on site when we teach for notaryclasses.com to prepare students for the Ca. Notary Exam.

Their prices on the Calif. Surety Bond & E&O Libility insurance are excellent; I know I recommend Notary Rotary at every class I teach.

Their Notary Commission Seal is also the best in the industry and I always recommend the purchase of this seal. Two thousand impressions before you have to re-ink is a miracle as far a I'm concerned.

Reply by PAW Notary Services on 6/23/04 12:48pm
Msg #3398

Re: keeping a journal - entry question

The purpose of the journal is to provide an accounting of the transactions that took place and with whom. By entering "loan closing" you would have no record of what documents were notarized and which type of certificate was used.

As Dennis has already provided the promotion of the best journal on the market (my opinion, which is shared by an overwhelming majority). This journal has listed the most commonly found documents requiring notarization plus room to add your own. (And lots of other information too.) That way, if you are ever asked if you notarized the "Borrower's Affidavit", you can look in your journal and see if you did or didn't. And if you did, whether there was an ack or jurat, and who signed the affidavit.

In many states, notaries public are not allowed to keep copies of the documents they notarize (and, imo, it's not a good idea anyway) and to be in compliance with the Privacy Act, you can and should only keep the information necessary for the performance of your duties, which is the ID used to properly identify the signers. You don't need to keep (and shouldn't keep) any documents from the loan package except possibly the instructions for the NSA.

Reply by Anonymous on 6/23/04 9:55am
Msg #3387

Maybe it's in that big book you are trying to cut corners by not wasting your time in reading.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.