Notary Rotary
self employment tax
Notary Discussion History

self employment tax
Go Back to March, 2004 Index

Posted by William P. Dobbins on 3/11/04 2:33pm
Msg #1125

self employment tax

Does anyone know if the deduction for each document notarized went up for 2003. Last year it was $1.00 for each act that we don't have to pay self employment taxes on.

Reply by Stephanie on 3/11/04 4:09pm
Msg #1126

I was under the assumption that SE taxes were not imposed on Notarizing docs., but rather on the additional tasks tyhat we fulfil, such as faxing necessary docs for conformation after completed w/signing, telephone communication with borrowers and assigning company - the time to travel to borrowers, copies if we make them along with other non-notarial tasks involved in a loan doc signing.

If you charge $100.00 - notarize 5 docs. - the value of the notary fees at $10.00 a sig is $50.00 (this is in CA) so the value of the fees for notarization are exempt from the SE taxes, but shoulod be part of gross income. The $50.00 for other administrative duties will be part of a total figure for your SE Taxes.

Reply by MTheall on 3/11/04 6:23pm
Msg #1128

Your lucky - in my state I can only claim $1.50 per signature. Each state is different.

Reply by Kelly on 3/18/04 1:29pm
Msg #1193

You are correct according to the Notary Certification course handbook. In the State of Florida, we are allowed to deduct $10.00 per notarization from taxable income. Many times we notarize 7-10 docs for a $50.00 fee, so there is no taxable income on those closings. I just learned this in 2003 and am considering going back on my returns for the last seven years and doing an amended return to get back some of the tax I have paid. I pay 43% of each closing in taxes.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.