Notary Rotary
Borrowers who read every doc?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to May, 2004 Index

Posted by CA_Notary on 5/27/04 11:27pm
Msg #2432

Anyone have any suggestions on how to politely speed up borrowers who insist on reading every document in full as they sign it? While I can't really blame them for wanting to read themt, it does tend to create a looooong signing when it happens.

Reply by pa notary on 5/27/04 11:49pm
Msg #2439

i wish i had that answer a couple days ago...it seemed like everyone i closed either had to READ every line or QUESTION single detail.....it was not a fun day........i have tried to politely remind them of the '3 day rtc'...sometimes it works....but nothin' was workin the other day !

Reply by annonymous on 5/27/04 11:53pm
Msg #2440

Before I begin any signing, I let the borrower's politely know that I have set aside an hour with them, because I have an appointment immediately following their appointment. I then proceed directly to the NOTE. If it is correct and the signing is a refi, I explain the recission period and if there are issues re: their HUD that the 3 days would assist them with questions to their broker/lender. I also remind the borrower that if the broker/lender knows that the docs are signed and the borrower WILL recind if their questions are not answered within the 3 days, they are more likely to have a broker/lender cooperate and take the borrower's call.

Reply by HisHughness on 5/28/04 1:12am
Msg #2443

I've been a stealth visitor to this forum for several months now, and I gotta say that I learn more in an hour here than I do in a month's worth of reading notary magazines, newsletters and websites. In the year and a half I have been a signing agent, I've really learned to appreciate that so many capable people are willing to share their hard-earned expertise with others, especially neophytes. Thanks for sharing.

Of course, tonight there probably are one or two who would rather I had continued to stay away from the keyboard...and they probably are right that I should have.

Reply by Dennis D Broadbooks on 5/28/04 6:08am
Msg #2449

Not in This Corner!

I've actually enjoyed our bantering back & forth, Hugh...with one exception. You did cross the line with your playing of the race card. I'll chalk that up to "rookie" ignorance for now. You don't know me (or anyone else on this board) well enough to make that kind of accusation. Other than that you've acquitted yourself well. Now if you really want to step up to the major leagues, try the GoMobileNotary message board.

Reply by ANONYMOUS on 5/28/04 7:08am
Msg #2450

Re: Not in This Corner!

I'VE BEEN READING YOUR COMMENTS BACK AND FORTH TO EACH OTHER. YOU REALLY NEED TO GROW UP!!!YOU ARE THE ROOKIE HERE!!!! YOU ARE THE ONE THAT DOESN'T KNOW PEOPLE ON THIS CHAT ROOM VERY WELL. IT LOOKS TO ME LIKE YOU HAVE HAD AT LEAST 3 DIFFERENT PEOPLE NOW THAT THINK YOU WAY OVER REACT. YOU ARE THE ONE THAT NEEDS TO TRY GOMOBILENOTARY MESSAGE BOARD!!! I'M NOT EVEN GOING TO GET ON THIS WEB PAGE AGAIN BECAUSE I WILL NOT GIVE YOU THE SATISFACTION OF READING YOUR BASSING OUT COMMENTS NOR RESPOND(YOU HAVE MADE IT CLEAR THAT IS WHAT YOU FEED OFF FROM) I WILL LET YOU JUST SIT THERE ALONE AND VENT TO YOUR KEYBOARD. DUDE, YOU REALLY NEED A HOBBY.

Reply by Dennis D Broadbooks on 5/28/04 7:58am
Msg #2453

Calm Down...

...it's not polite to YELL in a public forum. As for my "rookie" comment, I'm not about to tell a 67 year old distinguished, educated gentleman he's immature. It was only meant to convey the idea that after a couple of months of "stealth" perusing this board he really didn't "know" me or anyone else well enough to make a comment on my personal character traits. Nothing more, nothing less.

BTW, what exactly does "bassing out comments" mean? Inquiring minds like to be "in the know" on these things. Oh & thanks for venting!

Reply by NEW NOTARY on 5/28/04 8:30am
Msg #2454

Re: Calm Down.../QUESTION

i'm sure what that person ment was bashing out, not bassing out. i'm sure it was a type error from being upset?

question for everyone.

at a signing, it is required that a borrowor signs there name the way it appears on the paperwork. i did a signing last night with a couple that signed there name(s) the way is appeared on the paperwork but it was very sloppy. it looked like a dr. signature. when i said something they both said that is the way we sign our names and if they don't like it then thats to bad. what should i do when this happens? the signing co was upset when they rec. the docs.

Reply by Tammy Jurgens on 5/28/04 11:40am
Msg #2463

I have had that problem before where the borrowers refuse to sign as it appears. I always make sure to let them know that they run the risk of the loan not going through and have even had them call their lender directly to explain the reasons why. After that, it's out of my hands. However, I always make sure that, as soon as the signing is over, I send an email to the signing company or escrow/title company to let them know that I informed the borrowers and they still insisted on signing it their way. This way they are already aware of the problem before they receive the docs and know that I did what I could. The responsibility is now back on the borrowers.

Reply by Sylvia/FL on 5/28/04 12:00pm
Msg #2464

I tell the borrowers they must sign the docs exactly as printed, meaning if there is a middle initial, they must sign with it, if their full middle name is printed, then they must sign with it. If I cannot read their signature, I will tell them "It is kind of hard to read your signature, but is your middle initial in there?" If the say yes, and the signature matches their drivers license, then I accept it. It is their signature!
I have never had a problem with this.

Reply by ej1 on 5/28/04 6:46pm
Msg #2488

I just dealt with that day before yesterday! In the beginning letting them know that they must sign the forms the way the lenders have it. As I started really studying the signatures, you couldn't tell if it was initial or their first names! I stopped them and explained to them the fact that it might not go through with their signatures like that but was informed that it is the way they have always signed there first names and when looking at the Name Affidavit form and also on their drivers license and even on some other documents (legal) they sure do sign that way and to me that was proof enough! How can any lender or court clerk tell them they have to sign any different that they have for years??? Just as long as it matches with their IDs.

Reply by CA_Notary on 5/28/04 6:51pm
Msg #2490

I don't worry about the signatures too much. If it's CLEARLY different than the way the name is printed I will definitely make them correct it and sign the way it's printed. But so many people have such scrawly, hard to read signatures, I simply ask them if their signature shows their name the way it's printed. They invariably say yes, and so far I've never had any docs come back to me because of it.

Reply by CA_Notary on 5/28/04 3:48am
Msg #2444

Thanks, that is a good suggestion. I haven't been that direct with my borrowers. It's very rare that a signing goes over an hour anyway, but I think it's a good idea to set a time frame with the borrowers right from the start.

Reply by susan on 6/1/04 6:14pm
Msg #2558

last time i tried to politely ask a borrower to speed things along, he complained to the mortgage company that i was rushing him. and i sat there while he read each page of the documents TWICE!!! and while he was reading it the second time he asked me 3 times if i experienced people deciding not to sign the documents. and after the second time he read the documents PAGE BY PAGE he was about ready to read it the 3rd time. i was there for 3 1/2 hours and he said he wasn't going to sign because he felt that i was rushing him. i don't blame people for wanting to read the documents but he was being difficult to deal with.

Reply by Ter/FL on 6/2/04 12:40am
Msg #2570

Borrowers who read every doc?...Take a Calendar for visual.

I take a large calendar with beautiful scenic pictures of the U.S. It's published by The Nature's Conservancy. When I first sit down, after I have introduced myself etc. I immediately bring out the calendar and show them on the calendar....the signing day(today) and count out the 3 days starting tomorrow (excluding Sunday and National Holidays). I also explain that there is a document called RTC in their document package that we will get to that covers this 3 day right to cancel. I leave the calendar, opened for the appropriate month, on the table the entire time.

Next I do ID'S, Journal etc., and when we are about to start signing the documents....again I say...remember you have 3 days to read over your documents starting tomorrow. It works like a charm and I have only had one jerk...a real wierd person...who after reminding him (about 10 times about 3 day RTC...in his case 4 days since it fell over a Sunday) insisted on reading every single word. I think he had other motives in trying to keep me in his home....wierd!!! For the vast majority of times...it works and I tell the borrowers that I tell them up front so they can BREATHE...they laugh!!!(It helps the borrowers to relax knowing there is plenty of time to read after I leave.)

Reply by HisHughness on 6/2/04 1:17am
Msg #2571

Re: Borrowers who read every doc?...Take a Calendar for visual.

I guess Texas' many quirky real estate laws work in favor of the signing agent. In a typical home refi closing, no one who makes any pretension of sanity would seek to read the many, many documents required. I've only had one real problem -- and in that lady's case her husband finally got exasperated and told her to cool it. On other occasions, when it appears that closing is going to run loooong, I always develop an appointment that's coming up shortly, and let the borrowers know that I'm leaving -- with the documents, signed or unsigned -- in time to get to my next appointment.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.