Notary Rotary
Contract below minimum wage
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to May, 2004 Index

Posted by SpeedyNotary on 5/14/04 1:53am
Msg #2031

Got a call today and asked to sign at contract. States they will pay $40 for trips up to 40miles. Told me they have one 38 miles away. Call it 40 miles for simple math. Federal Tax mileage is 37.5. Call it $.40 for simple math. Round trip 80 miles x .40/mile = $32.00. Then they want calls to confirm the appointment upon arrival. Call afterward. Return of documents etc, etc. So if it take an hour roundtrip to drive there and back and an hour to do the transaction. I am making $4.00/hour.

I don't think so!

Reply by CA NSA on 5/21/04 3:43pm
Msg #2189

Why does everyone keep including their DEDUCTION as part of the equation? If I get $100 for a signing, I'm thrilled that I get to deduct the $32 from that $100 on my taxes and, therefore, do not have to pay on that $32. I drive an SUV in CA (which only gets approx 10 miles per gallon and gas is $2.35 per gallon here) ... I'll tell you right now, it does NOT cost me $32 to do a signing - not even ones that are 45 miles away. I studied economics AND accounting in college for 2 years AND the math is being misused in these instances. Wait until you get the 1099's adding up to $45,000+ ... the deduction is a blessing ... but then again, it looks like some want the deduction amount TWICE!

Reply by EconomicNotary on 5/21/04 4:37pm
Msg #2190

We are simply using the IRS deduction as a proxy for the cost of driving the vehicle, but as I pointed out in my original comment and other has as well, your actually cost might be higher or lower, depeding on your vehicle. Now the high price of gas is also factoring into the equazation. Using the $.375/mile is just a convenient starting point, so we deferred to it. On longer distance if all you get back is the cost of your vehicle then you are not being paid anything for your time.

Reply by Dennis D Broadbooks on 5/21/04 7:29pm
Msg #2192

I'll Tell You Right Now Everyone Includes the Deduction...

...because it's a fairly accurate estimate of what your true auto expenses are based on mileage driven. Just because you studied economics AND accounting in college doesn't make you an expert or mean you're not mistaken on this issue. I have to assume you didn't go on to an accounting career & there's a lot of thankful people out there as a result. Take this up with your CPA (if you have one) & obtain his or her opinion on the subject. The IRS isn't in the business of giving money away & driving a 10 mpg SUV in CA does indeed really cost you more than $32.00 if you're driving 90 miles round trip. BTW, it's not a "blessing" when you get to deduct it on your taxes & no one is counting it twice (as the IRS wouldn't consider it NICE!).

Reply by Ol' Ma Notary on 5/21/04 7:45pm
Msg #2193

Re: I'll Tell You Right Now Everyone Includes the Deduction...

Dennis - lighten up!

It's helpful to get several points of view on a topic. Some people are right - the ones who agree with me, of course! - and some people are a bit off track. The latter ones often give me another way of looking at things.

I keep close watch on my auto costs. And I track the depreciation deduction as well. There are so many factors to keep track of in determining the true cost of a signing. I like reading posts containing things I might be missing.

I don't think the poster to whom you are referring is off base. I thought she made a good point. I do things a bit differently but so does everyone.

C'mon back to the professional you, Dennis. You can deliver a message with elegance. Let's get back to your usual style. I love your posts and I learn lots.

Let's not let this board turn into THE bashing board on the net. The other board (we all know the one) can keep that title.

Reply by Dennis D Broadbooks on 5/21/04 7:51pm
Msg #2194

I DID Lighten Up!

You should have read what I deleted! ;)

BTW, the poster I'm referring to IS off base.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.