Notary Rotary
Hit on by borrower
Notary Discussion History

Hit on by borrower
Go Back to May, 2004 Index

Posted by Anonymous on 5/13/04 7:29am
Msg #1986

Hit on by borrower

In all my signings, I have never had this happen. Got a call from the SS for a closing today. Before I had a chance to call borrower (within 15 minutes of accepting closing), the borrower called me. I told him all the info, etc., and then he proceeded to let me know that his house was a terrible mess. I told him that was ok (hopefully it's not too bad). Then he proceeded to ask me if I was married!!! When I told him yes he said that he was now disappointed and then proceeded to grill me about my husband!!! I called the SS and told them my apprehensions - they have never had this person as a borrower before. I am a little nervous on this one!!

comments??
thanks

Reply by pattijay on 5/13/04 9:01am
Msg #1987

Be safe! Take a friend. Have them dress accordingly and tell the borrower that your friend is training to do the job when you are too busy. Be sweet, professional and get the job done and get out. Better safe then sorry.

Reply by Anonymous on 5/13/04 9:02am
Msg #1988

He has called me 3 times so far!! Just for stupid stuff. Very freaky.

Reply by Anonymous on 5/13/04 9:21am
Msg #1990

I would seriously meet him somewhere neutral. I had something a little freaky happen once. I also let the agency know as well. They told me to carry mace! Go with your gut you won't regret it. What is your e-mail?

Reply by Pam Gibson on 5/13/04 9:35am
Msg #1992

I agree with pattijay. If you feel uncomfortable, take someone with you. And always, keep your cell phone in site. Call someone when you get to the closing, (in your car) then have them call you in about 30 minutes to check on you. You can use some kind of code question to let them know if you are o.k. After the closing, I would not engage in anymore conversation about your marriage. None of his business. This is my rule of thumb. Better safe than sorry!

Reply by Lawrence Goodwin on 5/13/04 10:52am
Msg #1995

Pam
If its not to late, DO NOT attend this signing alone!! Call you ss NOW and inform them of his multipal calls. His lender should also be informed.
A few years ago, I sent one of my staff appriasers on a job, She was almost assulted, dont mean to scare you But, be prepared.

Reply by nsa on 5/13/04 10:57am
Msg #1996

Re: Hit on by borrower: DON'T GO

Don't go to his house. Not even with a friend.

I am a middle-aged woman who has traveled solo extensively throughout Europe and North America, so I am not easily scared. The guy you described scares me.

Call and thank him for mentioning that he is behind on his housework. Tell him your allergies are acting up and that you would like to meet him at Denny's (or another crowded public spot). If he tries to get you to come to his house anyway, get off the phone. (Stand by your front door while on the phone and ring your doorbell - whatever. Just get off the phone.)

Then call the company who gave you the job and ask them to replace you with a MALE signer. Be explicit and unemotional in telling them why. Make certain you talk to a not-young female manager. She will understand. Be helpful in handing off the docs to your male replacement.

Get caller blocking and block this guy's phone number so calls can't get through.
Or get caller ID and don't answer the phone if he calls.

Even if this job pays $200, that will be nothing if you get hurt.

Reply by Anonymous on 5/13/04 11:05am
Msg #1997

Re: Hit on by borrower: DON'T GO TO HIS HOME

Excellent advice. Absolutely let the company know they may be able to insist on a public area. I have many at a coffee shop of library.. Better safe than sorry... no $ is worth it.

Reply by Sylvia/FL on 5/13/04 11:08am
Msg #1998

I agree! Do not go to this borrower's home. If you must do it at his home, take your husband with you.
See if you can arrange the signing at a neutral location, if not, call the company back and tell them the problems you are having with this man, and ask them to reschedule it with someone else - preferably a male.

Reply by Sylvia/FL on 5/13/04 11:08am
Msg #1999

I agree! Do not go to this borrower's home. If you must do it at his home, take your husband with you.
See if you can arrange the signing at a neutral location, if not, call the company back and tell them the problems you are having with this man, and ask them to reschedule it with someone else - preferably a male.

Reply by Joan-OH on 5/13/04 12:12pm
Msg #2001

I personally would not do it & tell the SS to get a male signer. But if I decided to do it, I would take my husband with me and say to the borrower "you were asking so many questions about my husband, I thought I would bring him along so you could meet him!" Then let your husband give him the back-off look. I bet Mr. Casanova turns into a Mr. Weeny immediately.

Joan-OH

Reply by dmitchsr on 5/13/04 12:56pm
Msg #2002

It is my sincere hope that you are seriously considering the responses that you are receiving regarding your post.

Should you choose to accept the signing (now or in the future), with this level of apprehension, then you will be extending an open door for whatever awaits.

Take seriously the spirit of all the advice given, make your decision, and implement that decision.

One other thing, donot give an open door to anyone to be calling you unless it regarding a change of venue, cancellation, postponement, or the like. Be specific! End your sentences with a period (so to speak).

I am not suggesting that you don't know your job, lack people skills, nor anything derogatory. It's just that we, as Notaries, are people - people. And sometimes, we leave unnecessary invites unbeknowing. And some quack catches that and decides to capitalize on a perceived open door opportunity.

I concur with the others, take your husband or don't do it!

Reply by Anonymous on 5/13/04 3:45pm
Msg #2008

It was a nightmare! He called me 4 times before the signing. When I got there, he offered me scotch (yuk!) and wanted to make me a pizza!! Started asking me personal questions about my family and personal life. Wanted my business card, which I did not give him. Kept getting up during the signing to "walk around", but I know he was just staring at me. I was so nervous, my legs were shaking the whole time. If he would have touched me, I probably would have passed out! I told him that I had a signing right after his, so I needed to leave. I believe he wanted me to stay!! As I was walking out of his house and outside into my car, I could feel his stare right through me. I have never been so scared in my life.

Please, for all those out there who have one of these, listen to your own little "voice" in your head and be careful. I had no one to come with me. My son is also a notary, but was unavailable and my husband was at work. Title company called me and I told them all about it. I called the signing company and explained the whole thing too. I know what I did was dumb and thank God it all turned out alright.

Reply by Pam Gibson on 5/13/04 7:50pm
Msg #2018

For all of you who thought is was me, it was not. An anonymous person posted this one.
Gee, you had me so worried about you, anonymous. I am glad that you are o.k.
A friend of mine is in Real Estate. And her instructor said that the number one person that goes alone to a closing or to sign papers on a new home, is a female. And they are the most vulnerable. Especially in a circumstance like this one. I don't know if I wouldn't alert the authorties about this dude.
Money or no money. Your life is MORE IMPORTANT! I know my husband would have had a fit!
Glad to hear you are o.k If he continues to call you, I would call the police.

Reply by Anonymous on 5/13/04 8:05pm
Msg #2019

He does have my cell number and if he has caller id, he has my home number (hopefully that's not the case). I was so freaked out, and I'm not the easily scared kind. If I had my blood pressure taken, I probably would have been admitted!!! I performed the closing in a professional way, and I know he sensed my tension. He asked all sorts of personal questions, and I avoided them all. Just glad it is over. Husband took me out for dinner and I had a strawberry daquiry (sp?). That helped!! :)

Thanks for all your concern, and hopefully someone will learn from my mistakes. Money ain't everything!

Reply by Suzanne on 5/14/04 12:12am
Msg #2027

Im so sorry to hear that happened to you, Ive been there too and it sux.

Just thank the stars up above your ok and are blessed with a caring Husband. My remedy is a margaritta no salt with an extra shot of Jose Cuervo Gold - Just one does the trick...

Take care of you!

Suz

Reply by Charles on 5/24/05 12:41pm
Msg #40052

Hi all. I am a real estate agent as well as a notray. Ther other day I was showing my daughter the Megan's Law website here in California and we were looking a the sex offenders who live in our neighborhood. You would not believe my shock when I was asked to come get a listing for a home and realized that I was talking to one of the individuals on the sex offender web site. Just because an individual can acquire a home is no indication of that individual's moral fiber. I teach a class for Realtors (tm) in awareness and self defense and thre are many instances where people get into very difficult situations showing homes. Please in the future do not put yourself in that situation. There is no amount of money that will compensate you for even one bad experience.

Reply by Brenda Stone on 5/14/04 6:02am
Msg #2038

For dmitchsr

"Be specific! End your sentences with a period."

dmitchsr, you are herewith bestowed the title of "Quotable" and you shall forever have a place in my person collection of quotes.

I am going to put this up where I can see this daily. It is something that I need to remember and practice.

What a good thing for a wishy-washy one like me to remember, internalize and repeat like a mantra...so....

Why do I feel like I just have to say AMEN ??

I am going to say it-- three times.

AMEN, AMEN, AMEN!

Brenda

Reply by DocumentService.com on 6/3/04 11:00am
Msg #2641

This was one of my biggest apprehensions about having my spouse in the field. We have both been full time signing agents up to about a year and a half ago. Whenever she was going to a single male signing she would call me once she reached the borrower's front door. Her standard pitch, once the borrower opened the door, was to say that she was now checking in from the appointment and will call in approx. 15-20 minutes. It was a big peace of mind practice.

If you can't reach your hubby on the phone, do you have any other notaries or friends that you can create a similar type of phone-in system? It is invaluable when you encounter signers that give you a bad feeling.

p.s. How did this appointment turn out?

Thanks,

Michael

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.