Notary Rotary
NEW NOTARY
Notary Discussion History

NEW NOTARY
Go Back to May, 2004 Index

Posted by ANNONYMOUS on 5/26/04 7:59am
Msg #2302

NEW NOTARY

I JUST RECENTALY BECAME A NOTARY. I HAVE HAD A COMPANY ASK IF I WOULD DO A SIGNING FOR THEM AND AGREED TO DO THE SIGNING. THEY TOLD ME I JUST MAKE SURE THE PERSON(S) ARE WHO THEY SAY THEY ARE AND WITNESS THEM SIGNING THE DOCS. IN MOST CASES DO THESE COMPANIES REQUIRE YOU TO EXPLAIN THE DOCS TO THE CUSTOMER? FROM WHAT I UNDERSTAND A NOTARY IS THERE TO WITNESS A SIGNING OF A NAME AND TO CHECK I.D. TO MAKE SURE THE PERSON IS WHO THEY SAY THAEY ARE.

Reply by Brenda Stone on 5/26/04 9:04am
Msg #2304

Hi, New Notary,

Here's my two cents:

Read the instructions and agreement you have been provided by the company who hired you. Most companies want you to explain the purpose of the documents and will state so.

You are not giving legal advice, but if you are doing a signing assignment, (in all companies I have been involved with) you need to have a good understanding of, and the ability to communicate to the Borrowers, the purpose of a:

--Deed of Trust
--Note
--Notice of Right to Cancel
--Truth in Lending Disclosure
--HUD-1 (aka Settlement Statement)

The instructions you are given should also state:
--If you need a copy of the Borrower/Co-Borrower's driver's license and/or SS Card to send back with the documents
--If you need to confirm your appointment date and time with the Borrowers by phone
--What the requirements are for giving a status report after the signing.

I hope this helps. It is certainly not all inclusive and others on the board will also probably share good advice so keep checking back.

Welcome to the discussion and good luck! If you have specific questions, go to my profile which is linked to this posting. You will find my email address. (I have realized spammers have found our board and started harvesting our emails when we post them, so please forgive me for not posting it here.) Email me and I will try to help you or point you to a place where you can find answers.

Read as many postings on this board as you have time for in your spare time. You'll find a treasury of information for new notary signing agents from folks far more experienced than I am.

Sincerely, Brenda Stone

Reply by Stephanie on 5/26/04 5:24pm
Msg #2326

Hi

It sounds like you need to have some experience as a Notary Public...before you jump into the Signing Agent field.

Since you are a new Notary Public, I suggest getting some experience with "simple" notarizations under your belt
before you notarize any loan documents.....from your message, it sounds as though you do need some general experience.

I think you will be more confident once you've done a few notarizations.

Good luck with your new endeavor as a Notary Public first.

Reply by Brenda Stone on 5/26/04 5:47pm
Msg #2328

I wholeheartedly agree with Stephanie from my own experience. Just getting the stamp right side up under pressure can be a challenge on the most simple of documents.

I should know. I have done it twice in meaningful situations that I remember. Once back in '89 and once the other on a recent signing. The way to fix it according to SOS of Texas as stated in my handy-dandy notary manual: Create the same ack, jurat, etc. that you can attach to the very back, but it should make clear within the certificate that the document it is being attached to is ______.

In '89 I blew it when I was notarizing the signature of a gentlemen in his '90's. I was filling in at a law office during summer vacation time.

Omigosh! He definitely looked his age. I was frantic immediately when I saw the upside down stamp. Sometimes older people get very distressed about things like this--sometimes younger ones do, too! So, I just knew I was going to make him fret until his heart gave out.

Not hardly! He was a decorated vet of three wars, worked out at the gym four times a week and he had been a Texas notary for decades, and he was a true citizen of our community and our country. (He also showed me that he could do math rather handily on an abacus.)

He taught me a thing or two! One of the most interesting characters I have ever had the pleasure of meeting.

I believe I rambled a bit, didn't I. Have a good Wed. Evening!

Sincerely, Brenda

Reply by JYHoward on 5/26/04 6:49pm
Msg #2329

I'm new to the notary game and had my first signing ever last night. I believe everything when alright but considering I was signing behind the borrowers everywhere they needed a notary signature, I agree some more experience would be helpful to understand why you're looking at while you sit at the livingroom coffee table. However, I need 2 questions answered if you will, does it happen often that a mortgage company will call, offer a large sum payment to just go and verify the identification of the borrowers and witness their signatures? I'm a little concerned because I was told to just immediately fax an invoice with the service description and fees charged upon completion. Do you think I'll actually get paid since he probably called me out of desperation because he couldn't get anyone else to go and do the job before the rate lock expired at midnight?

Reply by Brenda Stone on 5/26/04 9:23pm
Msg #2332

Your Question- (1) Does it happen often that a mortgage company will call, offer a large sum payment to just go and verify the identification of the borrowers and witness their signatures?

I have not had *any* sum offered to go and verify ID, and witness, but I think that could be possible. Someone else will have to answer to give a "real" life experience.

My answer is such as it is becauseI have been met with that question on documents when filling out a profile for a company on occasion -- if I am right about this, it is the questions about being a "witness only" and they generally ask what I will charge. I would be interested to hear what others do with this question or what they charge in relation to regular signings.

(2) About getting paid: I have worked for 13 companies and have not been stiffed on a fee yet. That is about as far as my rational comment on this question can go.

Good luck ! Brenda

Reply by Brenda Stone on 5/26/04 9:23pm
Msg #2333

Your Question- (1) Does it happen often that a mortgage company will call, offer a large sum payment to just go and verify the identification of the borrowers and witness their signatures?

I have not had *any* sum offered to go and verify ID, and witness, but I think that could be possible. Someone else will have to answer to give a "real" life experience.

My answer is such as it is becauseI have been met with that question on documents when filling out a profile for a company on occasion -- if I am right about this, it is the questions about being a "witness only" and they generally ask what I will charge. I would be interested to hear what others do with this question or what they charge in relation to regular signings.

(2) About getting paid: I have worked for 13 companies and have not been stiffed on a fee yet. That is about as far as my rational comment on this question can go.

Good luck ! Brenda

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.