Notary Wanna Be
Notary Discussion History

Notary Wanna Be
Go Back to May, 2004 Index

Posted by Anonymous on 5/13/04 6:08am
Msg #1985

Notary Wanna Be

Greetings,

I was a real estate agent few years ago and always thought signing agents are off shift employees of title company...duh! I refi my home last week and had an in home signing. The SA turned out to be my old real estate buddy and he said being an SA fill the income gap of real estate or even better.

Loss my job a year ago and has been mr. mom since with 2 little ones. I swore I will not work for a hi-tech co. again. My unemployment just ran out. I'm thinking of getting into the notary biz and is doing my homework by browsing notaries sites and forums. Loan docs are no problem for me. I still have title and mortgage contacts from real estate.

If you don't mind me trying to take a bite of your pie, but I do need help getting started on the right track.

1. How much do you have to invest beside the license, bond, E&O ins?
2. Which agency has the most worth certification?
3. Can I get business directly from mortgage and title co. without having to "fee" list with an agency like NNA, NSA, SSA, etc?
4. How big is an e-doc file? How big of an e-mail box do you need?

Your humble ideas, advices, and guidances will be well appreciated.

The Road Runner

Reply by Lawrence Goodwin on 5/13/04 10:28am
Msg #1993

Greeting Road Runner
Might I suggest that you use all of your experience and training of your real estate background, and apply it towards the document signing industry. As a former Real Esate Agent, you already have the credentials.

Reply by goldhcs/co on 5/13/04 4:07pm
Msg #2010

I actually did go through the NNA to get certified so my cost for memembership and book and test was about $228. My e & o insurance was $19 for $35,000. Colorado doesn't require notaires to be bonded so no cost there. And I was already a notary and had my stamp. But stamps run about $20-$30. If your state doesn't require a journal you should get one anyway and I think those run about $20

I would say yes you can get business directly from title/closing companies after you have some experience. You can sign up with lots of different signing services to gain this experience. I have not come across any that requires a fee to list with them. Just do lots of marketing to all of the companies out there.

gomobilenotary.com is also a good discussion forum to read along with this one. I have picked up lots of good ideas and learned alot from both of these sites. You can also get a feel of what companies to stay away from and some good ones to work with.

E-docs can vary with each lender, you will need to have at least a 10mb of email box.

Good Luck.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.