Notary Rotary
Signing Service overkill?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to May, 2004 Index

Posted by BrianLA on 5/21/04 3:23am
Msg #2175

I got a signing today from a company that I haven't worked for before, Executive Closing Services. They require the following to be faxed back to them:

1. Page 5 of the confirmation page (their confirmation is 6 pages long!)
2. The 1st, signature and notarized page of the deed of trust
3. all pages of any riders to the deed of trust
4. all pages of the note
5. Hud 1 settlement statement
6. truth in lending
7. right to cancel
8. all other pages requiring a notarization

They also include a page of instructions about what color ink to use, what initals the borrower should use, how names should show on the signature/name affadavit, putting extra initials on pages that don't have a spot for initials, etc.

I got the call for the job about 2.5 hours before the appointment time. They were email docs, I had to run to Office Depot for more toner as I was running out. I had a liitle bit of trouble printing the docs, which caused me to be running a little late. I called the borrower to tell him I was going to be late, only to discover that I had been given the wrong address for the signing, as it was not being done at the property. Luckily it was in the next city, so I didn't end up going too far out of my way.

Anyway, due to the printing problems, I was trying to rush out the door. Left the signing instructions at home and never actually read them. I've done abut 300 signings, they're all pretty much the same, didn't think it was a big deal. I'm very accurate, have only had to go out once to correct something that I missed. Of course, once I got home and read them I learned that I needed blue ink, and they signed in black, and that I didn't have them inital in a couple of places that the signing service specified (which were not indicated as inital spots on the docs).

In the end, I had to fax back SEVENTEEN pages to the signing service. In addition, even though the signing that I did would be fine for pretty much any other service that I work for, the laundry list of extra instructions on this signing means I made some "mistakes" and might even end up having to redo the signing due to the wrong color ink being used.

I'm leaning toward not doing any future signings for this company. Heck, they'll probably think I'm a total f***up and not call me for any anyway, lol. All of the additional instructions and faxing back 20% of the package to them just seems like complete overkill to me. They also require confirmation of the signing via their website on top of all the faxed pages AND require me to keep an invoice and mail it in at the end of the month. The pay for the signing was $85 (which includes email docs). Are companies like this really worth the effort and annoyance?

Reply by Anonymous on 5/21/04 9:32am
Msg #2182

I refuse to fax back anything except a closing confirmation and the HUD. I tell the signing company/title company that I am a competent signing agent, and if they don't have confidence that I will do the job correctly, they need to find someone else.

The problems you cited with regard to printing out the e-docs are the reason I stopped accepting such assignments. My experience uniformly was that companies that used e-docs were the ones that consistently delivered them latest; in fact, I think they use e-docs so that they can pushe the envelope as far as possible. And, of course, the one who bears the brunt of their laggardness is the signing agent, who often must scramble to get everything done at the last minute.

Reply by Roger/OH on 5/21/04 10:12am
Msg #2183

The faxback requirements, ink color, and instructions are not that unusual, but $85 is way too low for edocs, especially on short notice. I think you'll find most established notaries have edoc fees in the $120 range, and almost never less than $100.

Reply by Donna McGee on 5/23/04 6:22pm
Msg #2223

Hello Brian,
This company has not gotten good reviews on this message board and apparently with good reason. I agree with the other comment, $85 is too low for e-docs especially with all that faxing. I did a signing for them on 3/25/04, check was dated 4/21/04, enveloped was postmarked for 5/10/04. So you are looking at about a six week turn around to get paid. I would suggest that IF you take another job for them that you up your rate to make it worth your time.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.