Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
To solicit or not solicit is the question!!!!!!!!!!
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to May, 2004 Index

Posted by Anonymous on 5/27/04 9:01am
Msg #2346

I know that it is prohibited to solicit during the time of the assignment.

I am wondering if I can share a service that I am marketing with a client after the assignment (meaning a different day). The product is indirectly related to the loan, and it does not take away business from the lender.

I need some answers, please help.

Reply by Lawrence Goodwin on 5/27/04 11:58am
Msg #2360

That would greatly depend on what kind of service your trying to market.
If it does not directly affect the lender! what about the SS. This could be an ethical issue that only you can decide.

Reply by Anonymous on 5/27/04 12:22pm
Msg #2362

.........dose not affect the signing service either. What about a bi-weekly product.

Reply by Lawrence Goodwin on 5/27/04 12:52pm
Msg #2364

My PO in this case would be Why Not? as long as you are not directly affecting the SS or Lender, then by all means Market away!! But I think I would wait at least a week to contact the borrower.

Reply by Anonymous on 5/27/04 1:30pm
Msg #2366

You have been helpful. I'll do a little more research and make a decison from there. I like to make sure I am obeying the rules.

Thank you for your input.

Reply by Lawrence Goodwin on 5/27/04 2:04pm
Msg #2370

No prob. Just remember us poor, struggling, underpaid, unrecongnised, but very importent notaries when you become the next Bill Gates.

Reply by Anonymous on 5/27/04 2:26pm
Msg #2371

A visionary I see............I want forget.

Reply by BrianLA on 5/27/04 5:45pm
Msg #2395

Personally, I would be really annoyed if someone came to my house to perform a service and then later came back to try to sell me something. I really don't think it's a good idea to use your signing appointments as marketing prospects.

Reply by Dennis D Broadbooks on 5/27/04 8:44pm
Msg #2410

You Would Be ANNOYED?!!!

Talk about misplaced priorities! Let's see if we can sum them up. It's perfectly OK for you to totally trash someone else's loan, potentially costing them thousands of dollars...but YOU are going to be ANNOYED if someone tries to SELL you something. I'm still of the opinion you're not being totally above board with us, Brian. There isn't a one of your postings that make a bit of sense. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if this has been one big charade on your part. It's either that or you don't have an ounce of common sense in your body. It's got to be one or the other & I'm banking on the former.

Reply by Brian Lynch on 5/27/04 10:58pm
Msg #2419

Re: You Would Be ANNOYED?!!!

Dude, what does this thread have to do with the other? The OP asked for an opinion, I gave one. Yes, if a service person came to my house to perform a service, I would be annoyed if they decided that I was a marketing prospect for some other service they were offering. It could be a notary, a cable installer, or a Fed ex guy, I would still be annoyed. And yes, I don't think it's a particularly good idea for the OP to do it. How does that not make a bit of sense? I think it's you who has the flawed logic, not me.

Let's see if we can sum this up. Every online forum like this has at least ONE sanctimonious, blowhard, know-it-all. I'm sure you get some sort warm and fuzzy feeling inside by showing all of us how superior you are to us intellectually, morally, ethically, and any other "ly" you can think of. If that's what it takes to float your boat, fine. I'm not going to feed into your ego stroking though.

Reply by Dennis D Broadbooks on 5/27/04 11:21pm
Msg #2428

Actually, It Does Make Sense...

...& I agree that presenting another product to the borrowers we're servicing is a risky proposition at best. I'm pointing out the absolute hypocrisy of how you desire to be treated as a borrower versus how you just treated a borrower assigned to your professional care. YOU want to be treated with respect & courtesy when you're being served, but yet you're willing to throw someone else's life into turmoil simply because of an infantile desire to gain a measure of revenge on a signing company. There's no logic "there" on your part.

BTW, if you didn't want to "stroke my ego", why'd you even bother to respond?

Reply by Donna McGee on 5/27/04 7:02pm
Msg #2397

Hello,
Technically, the answer should be no. These clients were solicited (usually) by a business that may have spent money to attract this customer with advertising. You should not benefit from their advertising dollars other than your agreed upon signing fee. Regardless of whether or not the product is related to the loan - you didn't pay for the advertising. I'm sure there are a lot of people who may reason this way but I'm sure that is why there is a non-solicitation clause in most contracts. I'm quite sure this means during or after the appointment.

I think this may jeopardize your relationships with the signing/title companies you work with.

Reply by CA_Notary on 5/27/04 11:20pm
Msg #2427

I completely agree with Donna. Good advice, probably not worth the potenital trouble it could cause in the future.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.