When an attorney is present
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to May, 2004 Index

Posted by Donna McGee on 5/23/04 7:03pm
Msg #2225

Hello everyone,
I just had a signing where the clients had their attorney present. I wasn't aware that he would be present before hand. He tried to take over a bit but was unsuccessful. I let him know that if he wishes to go over the package line by line, he would have to do so after I left. The clients were very cooperative and it was not a big deal in this case. The attorney was a bit arrogant but realized soon enough that I was not his secretary.

Does this happen often? How do you all handle these? Are you notified before hand? Thanks in advance.

Reply by notary on 5/23/04 8:14pm
Msg #2226

I think you handled it perfectly.

I worked with attorneys for 20 years. Your polite and firm "your turn is later" approach is the only way to handle them.

I haven't had an attorney sit in. But sometimes a loan officer appears. I've never been notified beforehand. When a LO does appear, I am always glad to see them and I say so. I've been requested by LOs for later jobs once they have seen me in action.

By the way, some LOs have been surprised when they see me administer the oath. They say they have never seen it done before! Yipes!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.