Notary Rotary
Accurate Sign Ups
Notary Discussion History

Accurate Sign Ups
Go Back to November, 2004 Index

Posted by CarolynCO on 11/5/04 4:40pm
Msg #10955

Accurate Sign Ups

Be aware that "if borrower rescinds, doesn't show up, the docs aren't at the borrowers or cancels the loan that the trip fee for time and gas is only between $25-$30." Also "you must call *before* the signing and *after* the signing. Failure to do so means you will not be called for another signing." There are also faxbacks. My confirmation also states that I was not allowed to confirm the appointment with borrower. "You also must arrive 15 minutes before the appointment. Failure to do so means you will not be called for another signing."

I received call yesterday for 4:00 signing today. Before accepting I said I had to have docs by 1:00 and was told they would be here no later than 2:00. I called at 2:15 to advise that I didn't have e-docs. Don't know exactly when I was going to be told that borrowers had canceled.

Address on confirmation says they are in Jacksonville, FL. Notary instruction sheet, skills questionnaire, independent contractor agreement all state the address as Oceanside, CA.

Reply by BrendaTX on 11/5/04 5:43pm
Msg #10959

Re: Accurate Sign Ups & other "stuff"

Carolyn:

I appreciate you giving us the heads up. Even though I understand why ss's put all these rules on their notaries, I am really trying to avoid those that do because of exactly what you encountered. Nothing directed just at this particular SS, but it seems that when you get an assignment of this type it with all the rules and requirements, they either
(1) forget to keep you in the loop / don't respect your time OR
(2) think it's ok to pay when they get darn good and ready.

Yesterday I got an affidavit assignment from a signing service.

After I saw the 3 pages of instructions for one affidavit, I vowed "never again" because they cannot understand that the medical record affidavit is not managable with the same techniques that loan docs are managed.

On this one, it took me 6 emails to explain they might want to get a different notary to do the affidavit because my answers were as follows and it was hard as heck to convince them I meant it. Finally, they agreed to let me do what I usually do and not jump through the hoops:

No, I cannot leave blanks in the affidavit for # of pages attached.
No, I will not attempt to take the affidavit and mail it to you unattached from the medical records - my medical contacts would think I had taken leave of my mind.
No, I will not have the doctor's office fax back a copy before I leave--are you kidding? (Doctor's offices are not excited to see they have to have a notary come and notarize something that may be questioning their prices or work product. I am not going to ask them to do this or to make me a copy or to do anything but sign the affidavit, take an oath, and sign the journal.)
And, no, I will not mail it back to you for the price I quoted you. That requires another trip elsewhere so add $5 -$10 depending on what you require.
-----
They argue that they need the affidavit faxed to them to check, and they need to be able to prove the job was done. And they argue that this is the way they have done it for "years" and it worked just fine in every state. ( I am sorry, but I don't believe that. Neither does any legal person I have talked with.)

I work directly for a lot of litigation support firms and they put a check in the mail to me the day they assign it to me in most cases. They take my word for it. I'd fax the ss a copy of my journal page with my invoice, but that's as far as it goes on providing proof. I live and work here. The doctors are my income stream on affidavits and I am not going to tick them off. They call me when they need me...so am I going to start asking them to do things for one assignment that will make them NOT want to call me? Nope.

I have set up the list of notary lists on my website so that my favorite litigation support firms can find notaries directly and do not have to look for them through the signing services which have started doing affidavit work. That was one of the purposes of me starting that link.

I want to make it as easy as possible for the litigation support/law offices to find the notaries. At least I want ALL of my client litigation firms that hire notaries to always know how to get to them. They really don't always know how to find one when they need it, so I took it upon myself to point them in the right direction.

http://texnotary.com/tooltime/notarysearch.htm

is the link to the list of notary lists. The notaries listed individually are the ones that provided me reciprocal links on their sites. (I will take all of those I can get.)

Reply by Art_MD on 11/9/04 2:13pm
Msg #11062

Re: Accurate Sign Ups & other "stuff"

When SS and others ask for fax backs so they "make sure it's right", I put a mlarge post it note right in the middle, with the page number on it - i need to know where it goes in the package. This insures that they aren't using the faxed copy for another reason.

Reply by CarolynCO on 11/9/04 2:42pm
Msg #11066

Re: fax backs and post its

Art suggested "When SS and others ask for fax backs so they "make sure it's right", I put a mlarge post it note right in the middle, with the page number on it - i need to know where it goes in the package. This insures that they aren't using the faxed copy for another reason."

Great suggestion Art. I never thought of that, but will begin doing it immediately. Some time back (about 3 months ago, I think), I received an overnight from title company and they included the "notarize here" stickies throughout the docs. In faxing back the "make sure it's right" pages to SS, I apparently forgot to remove one of the stickies before faxing. The other day it came shooting out of my fax machine stuck to another page. I don't know if everyone has been getting "notarize this" on all their faxes or not. I would hope that someone would have let me know, or at least asked what it was.

Reply by aynonomous on 1/21/05 1:56pm
Msg #17623

Great company to work for! Great pay! more than fair! Works with you and pays extra on other signings. Honest and upfront!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.