Notary Rotary
DSL
Notary Discussion History

DSL
Go Back to November, 2004 Index

Posted by ChrisAuburn on 11/17/04 12:13pm
Msg #11509

DSL

ok, i'm totally frustrated...i can't get dsl here without paying thru the nose...any suggestions? anyone else have same problem? was told it would take eons without it to download...we just happen to live on a street (IN the city limit!) that takes forever to get ANYTHING...so, AS MUCH INFO AS POSSIBLE would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks to those who replied on my printer question (re: kind)....k, waiting patiently!

Reply by Charm_AL on 11/17/04 12:19pm
Msg #11511

Don't know if helpful or not...We have Knology cable for t.v, phone and internet. They installed everything we needed.

Reply by Roberto Marin on 11/17/04 12:31pm
Msg #11513

If you desperately need high speed internet I would suggest a few things.

1. Contact SBC Yahoo DSL sometimes they are able to connect you in places where it appears its not available.

2. Try cable or broadband call your local cable provider and find out if its available in your area.

3. You can always try satellite dish this is available to anyone that cannot get high speed internet and its not that expensive. Check with direct tv.

The best value is definitely SBC Yahoo.

Reply by Della_Ca on 11/17/04 12:41pm
Msg #11514

Hi Chris I had the same problem I can't get much where I live althou I'm not far from the bigger town. I called comcast and really talked up a storm ,I was with dish for my t.v. and would switch everything over to comcast if i could get a deal so they did give me a really good deal .No I have comcast cable and its great ,I love Auburn its a great place to visit, You are in Ca. correct.
Della

Reply by ChrisAuburn on 11/17/04 1:11pm
Msg #11516

Hi Della, great to hear from you...yes, I'm in Auburn, CA...just off Luther Road...Same area where it took our local cable company about 10 years to get cable in this area and we aren't even OUTSIDE of the Auburn area (yet they managed to get it to everything around us)! So far all info is $700 or so for equip +60-100 per month. I'm just getting going (VERY SLOWLY) on the mobile notary/signing and can't see committing to anything until I at least get lazer printer and dsl (whatever). I'm afraid I'm totally on hold getting this business going until....and here I thought I found a great thing to get into! I'm, unfortunately, on an extremely low budget.........UGH! Would love to hear more from you....where are you located?

Reply by ChrisAuburn on 11/17/04 2:42pm
Msg #11523

Della...see prev

see previous

Reply by Jon on 11/17/04 2:55pm
Msg #11528

You don't need to put your signing business on hold. I have been doing this for 7 yrs and only got DSL about a week ago. Dial-up will work, but with some files it will take longer for download. As long as you are aware and prepared for the longer time, you should be ok. You DO need a laser printer if you are going to do e-docs. You can get a Brother HL 5140 PCL6 compliant printer starting at approx $160-$175(search online for specials). You can also market without offering e-docs, although that will restrict you with some companies. I suggest starting with just overnight packages and work in e-docs when you can.

Reply by ChrisAuburn on 11/17/04 3:32pm
Msg #11536

Jon...Re: DSL

Jon...thank you! I am encouraged by the info! Okie dokie...gonna start shoppin for a printer!

Reply by ab/ca on 11/17/04 4:23pm
Msg #11541

Re: Jon...Re: DSL

hate to discourage but this area is getting saturated. our business has slowed by about half in past year with all the influx of new notaries in placer and nevada counties. don't quit day job.

Reply by Mortgage Closers of San Antonio - Kenneth C Whitton Jr on 11/18/04 8:39am
Msg #11573

Re: Jon...Re: DSL

Here in San Antonio, TX things have also slowed down, but that is why I do not dare handle this job as an exclusive source of income. Chris, I can relate to your frustration with the high costs of getting started. I am fortunate enough to be able to get DSL with relative ease. I did own a laser printer, but now have found it much more affordable, believe it or not, to lease a large office copy/scan/fax system. I contacted XEROX a couple of years ago and started out with a WorkCentre Pro, for my own personal use. When I got busy in this business, I needed to print documents with less time and found that I needed a bigger machine. I now lease a XEROX DC425ST. The Workcentre cost me about $61 a month... That includes all the toner and drum that I need during the five year lease term. I also have a $1 purchase built in to the lease, so that at the end of the lease term, after XEROX has maintained and serviced my equipment the whole time, I can purchase it from them for $1. I also have the same deal built into my DC425ST, but it runs about $270 a month. I am a Real Estate Agent as well, so I have an additional source of income to support that equipment. It really does come in handy if you can afford to do it all.

Dial-up access is really not a huge problem. As others have suggested, as long as you do not mind the additional time it takes to download documents and you can plan ahead to facilitate that time requirement, then there should not be a big problem. Just make sure that your E-mail account can support receiving the document package without truncating any messages. I have my own website and E-mail which can support up to 60 GB of storage. SBC DSL does not support file storage of that size.

I hope this helps... Do not give up. Even in a saturated market, you can come out ahead. If you make a name for yourself, you will pull ahead of the crowd. Good luck...

Ken Whitton, Jr.
www.kenwhitton.com

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.