Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Doing a signing on Thanksgiving..should I increase fee?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to November, 2004 Index

Posted by Nicole_NCali on 11/24/04 11:24am
Msg #11983

The borrower called me last night and requested signing on Thanksgiving, I explained to her that this is fine. I called the Loan agent to let them know this. Should I increase the fee or just build a good rapport with the company by being accomadating?

Reply by Cassie-CA on 11/24/04 12:21pm
Msg #11985

I would increase the fee, because you are sacraficing your holiday(or part of) to accomodate the borrower's schedule. If I were the borrower I would expect to pay a premium for service on a holiday.
In my experience (and, believe me - I am "accomodating") - "accomodating" doesn't necessarily mean they will use you again. Even if you do an OUTSTANDING job and they assure you they "will use you again".
Doing a terriffic job and being flexible are the things that will get you repeat business.
And continue to follow-up with the company after this signing so they do not forget who you are.
Those are just my thoughts, based on my own experience.
Happy Thanksgiving Nicole!

Reply by Nicole_NCali on 11/24/04 12:30pm
Msg #11986

Thank you so much for your advice. The person lives 10 minutes away from me and it is a simple loan packet. I will just keep it to the minimum and let it go. It is the holiday season after all.

Reply by CaliNotary on 11/24/04 1:22pm
Msg #11988

Cassie, I would agree with you if the borrower was paying us directly. But since the notary fee is already built into the loan it wouldn't be changed to reflect a premium fee if we do the signing on a holiday.

This is one of those situations where a little goodwill can go a long way. Whatever Nicole might be sacrificing in "holiday pay" will quite likely be made up tenfold by increased business from this company. Little things like this really stand out to signing services and title companies.

Reply by Nicole_NCali on 11/24/04 2:40pm
Msg #11990

I was also looking at the potential future business. I also like to be fair, this borrower is almost downt the street from me and it is not a complicated packet. Sign here, initial here, read your HUD 1 statement, read your note..etc.. Notarize a couple of docs and I am out of there. I am flagging the pages as I type.

Reply by Cassie - CA on 11/24/04 3:42pm
Msg #11995

CaliNotary - I would tend to agree with you in some respects. However, it is not necessarily true that the "notary fee is already built into the loan". It may or may not.

I did not give my point of view as an "absolute". I offered it as my opinion, based on my experience.
And there are other factors involved, such as how saturated the notary's area is, how far a drive [in my experience - holiday traffic is much heavier, at least in my area - therefore - more time on the road and more gas (in California it is approx 2.40 in my area)] and who her client is. Generally speaking - lenders, title and escrow companies value the extra effort put forth by the notary. There are a few signing services that I do work for on a regular basis that also value the extra effort.

But there are many who do not.

That's why I offered my input as just my opinion based on my experience. And, by all means I hope my first post did not sound like I was suggesting she charge a LOT more for the holiday. I figured others will have good input as well - as you did. Have a great Thanksgiving!

Reply by Nicole_NCali on 11/24/04 4:13pm
Msg #11996

Cassie, I value your input. I just did a calculated assessment of where the borrower is located, almost down the block and the time frame. I will have most of my meal cooked for tomorrow and we are not sitting down until 4:00pm. I have gone the extra mile with title companies and one company has really been good to me. The escrow officer appreciates that I very carefully review his docs for typos, irregularites and I do inform him. Due to personal reasons, I have been burned on deeds just by the name inaccuracies and this is something that I really try to review carefully.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.