Notary Rotary
How Mad does a company get?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to November, 2004 Index

Posted by Susie/OH on 11/26/04 5:12pm
Msg #12076

How mad does a company get if you are not able to fax the copies to them as soon as they would like? (I am having fax machine trouble) I might be a day late. But, I will try to get the copies faxed to them as soon as possible.

Reply by Jennifer on 11/26/04 9:33pm
Msg #12078

Go to Kinko's and make photocopies of the pages they want you to fax.

Get the signed package out FedEx / UPS right away.

Fax the photocopies over the weekend.

Companies DO get mad.

Reply by Ted_MI on 11/26/04 9:36pm
Msg #12079

Susie,

I really can't generalize. I can only speak from personal experience. I had a situation where I was supposed to fax back some documents, and I recollect that I too ran into equipment problems. I told them that I did the best I could; I gave a good faith effort. From my perspective, I think that is all that you can do and then just hope that they are understanding. I think they were in my case.

You indicated you might be a day late. Well they may well have the overnight docs by them, so the whole reason for fax backs may be negated. Best wishes.

Reply by Glena/NV on 11/26/04 9:49pm
Msg #12081

Call them to let them know...

most of them will understand. I came across the same problem before. I just called them to let them know that I am having a problem and gave them the option to either let me mail in the package right away or have me copy them, mail the package and fax back when I can. I have never had a problem with them getting mad...I just aksed them to put it on the record that they permitted me to send it back without faxing copies. Rememebr, when all things fail, it is how you communicate that counts. Good luck!

Reply by CaliNotary on 11/27/04 1:58am
Msg #12083

I don't think there's really any excuse for not faxing the documents back in a timely manner. If your fax machine isn't working, find a friend who has a fax machine, go to Kinko's or Mailboxes Etc or buy a new fax machine. It can't be that hard to find another fax machine to use and IMO it makes you look cheap and unprofessional if you're not willing to shell out 10 bucks at Kinko's to fulfill your obligation. Yeah, it sucks to pay a dollar a page but it's all part of being a professional - you figure out a way to get it done, even if it costs you a few bucks.

Of course the other option is, as was already suggested by Glena, call the signing service to see how vital it is that you fax back the docs. They might be quite willing to let it slide, from the postings I've read in here it seems that a lot of companies are flexible on this.

Reply by Ted_MI on 11/27/04 8:04am
Msg #12088

I agree with your perspective. And I recently (Wednesday) did exactly what you recommended. My fax machine wasn't working. I did go down to Kinko's. Well out here where I live it's like a buck and a half a page. There were quite a few pages as they wanted all the executed payoff letters and there were seven or eight of those. They had indicated in their instructions that if I didn't do the fax back I would forfeit 20 percent of my fee (which was a hundred books). And it probably cost me fifteen to sixteen bucks to fax the stuff. And even though the signing had been at 8:00 in the morning, I couldn't do the fax until about 5:30 P.M., as I was running around all day long. So it would have been very easy to rationalize not doing it. But I said to myself - well if that is what they want, I will do it.

I guess the moral of all this is that I should get my fax machine fixed like pronto.

Reply by sue on 11/27/04 11:50am
Msg #12096

look in your Sunday paper for Office Max/Staples, whatever is local to you. They have cheap fax machines on sale all the time and with a rebate you can get one for about $20 sometimes. I've had one sitting on my shelf for more than a year because the one I use is old and it's time has got to be up soon.

Reply by Susie/OH on 11/27/04 12:58pm
Msg #12097

I have another QUESTION....

I am fully aware of replacing equipment. Have done it numerous times. And, where I live there isn't a Kinko's within 50 miles any direction. (I live in a very rural part of Ohio) I have a new fax machine now. Brother 4800. Was able to get the copies faxed late last night.

I have another question. My signing appointment yesterday was for a little after 2:00. I was not done with the signing until abt. 3:15. (a very big refi) By the time I got back it was right at 4:00. I went thru the documents that needed faxed back (and that is when my trouble started). Anyway, the places around here to UPS all close at 5:00 p.m. And, none have Saturday UPS pickup. So, I call UPS today and they couldn't find a drop off in a 3 county area. (I was willing to drive to drop it off) I was told it would be Monday.

What problems do you think I am going to run into now?

Reply by Glena/NV on 11/27/04 3:08pm
Msg #12101

I wouldn't worry about it.

If you cannot drop it because there is no service in your area, it really is not your fault and there is nothing you can do about it...just give them a call first thing Monday to let them know about it.

Reply by PAW Notary Services on 11/27/04 4:06pm
Msg #12102

Re: I have another QUESTION....

There's really not much you can do about it. In the future, however, you may want to let the "hiring" company know that you won't be able to send out the docs until Monday. I too, do not have Saturday pickup (without driving 25+ miles), so whenever I take a Friday assignment, I always remind them that I won't be able to drop docs until Monday. Only times I have had to drive to the depot, was for a purchase and once for a foreclosure avoidance. In those two case, the docs simply had to be at the lenders on Monday. The extra effort has been rewarded with repeat business.

Reply by CaliNotary on 11/27/04 10:41pm
Msg #12114

I think this is good advice to anybody who doesn't have easy access to another fax machine if theirs fails. It definitely can't hurt to have a backup machine, and they can probably be found dirt cheap during the Xmas shopping season.

Reply by Julie-MI on 11/27/04 10:15pm
Msg #12109

Ted, get a new fax machine, you can write it off (nm)

Smiley

Reply by Glena/NV on 11/27/04 10:19pm
Msg #12110

Re: Ted, get a new fax machine, you can write it off (nm)

I have two 5-in-one machines, so when one gives up I have the other one to use. Also, If both will not work (chances are slim), I can always scan the documents and email them the copies.

Reply by Ted_MI on 11/28/04 8:54am
Msg #12125

Re: Ted, get a new fax machine, you can write it off (nm)

Julie,

Thanks for the advice. I am planning to.

Reply by CaliNotary on 11/27/04 10:36pm
Msg #12112

Isn't it amazing that they still charge such ridiculous rates to fax something from Kinkos?

Reply by Maureen/nh on 11/28/04 6:15am
Msg #12121

I don't know if it's nationwide, but here Staples charges .50 for outgoing.

Reply by Ted_MI on 11/28/04 8:52am
Msg #12124

CN,

My recollection is that it used to be a buck a page, and now it is a buck fifty. I agree it is pretty steep.

Reply by HisHughness on 11/28/04 8:16am
Msg #12123

Susan/OH asks:

***How mad does a company get if you are not able to fax the copies to them as soon as they would like?***

I generally don't have that problem, because when I get a confirmation of a closing that requires multiple faxes and I haven't been apprised of that during the initial telephone call, I immediately call the SS back and tell them I don't do multiple faxes and they will have to find someone else. I have yet to have an SS insist, or go on to another tamer notary. My experience is that if you call their hand and they quickly buckle.

Reply by Teri-pa on 12/2/04 7:12am
Msg #12542

An option might be to scan the docs wanted and email them to them...Cute pdf will convert them to adobe and they'll have no problem opening the docs....

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.