Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
How many are also abstractors/title searchers?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to November, 2004 Index

Posted by Susie/OH on 11/22/04 8:54am
Msg #11837

Just wondering how many notaries are also abstractors, title searchers. The Source of Title forum is not as informative or willing to help as this forum is.

Reply by KC/IN on 11/22/04 9:52am
Msg #11841

I am an abstractor in Ohio and also do search work in Indiana.

Reply by Becky/NC on 11/22/04 6:08pm
Msg #11878

I am an abstractor in western NC and became a signing agent because a couple of my title company clients asked if I could also do witness signings. Combination of the two has given me a completely different perspective of the entire process.

Reply by Nicole_NCali on 11/22/04 6:13pm
Msg #11883

Are you the guys who sit in the county recorders office and search on apn (parcel numbers) and check the court domain for judgments that would not show on a credit but would show on a prelim ( preliminary title report)

Reply by Susie/OH on 11/22/04 9:16pm
Msg #11897

Re: How many are also abstractors To; KC & BECKY

Thank you for your replies. Here in Ohio we have the County Recorder and Common Plea's, Probate, Tax Treasurer and Auditor. My question is----is the Lis Pendus, Preliminary Lein Notice and Fieri Facias recorded in the same department? Which would be the Common Plea's.

Reply by Loretta Reed on 11/22/04 9:20pm
Msg #11899

I am an abstractor and a signing agent full time. We handle 6 counties in Maryland.

Reply by KP FL on 11/23/04 8:29am
Msg #11914

Any thoughts from the current abstractors on how to get start in this line of work>

thanks

Reply by KC/IN on 11/23/04 9:43am
Msg #11917

I have been working in the title insurance industry for over 9 nines and have been abstracting the entire time. I learned there. The only way I would suggest learning as an independent is to get under someones wing who is willing to teach you. I wouldn't suggest tying to learn on your own. In Indiana and in Ohio, every county files things different and every new search is a different circumstance.

Reply by BrendaTX on 11/23/04 11:50pm
Msg #11972

Just to see if you'll even remotely like this type of work, make some time one day to go to the courthouse and find out who lives at five random addresses in your county.

If that was fun, pick one of those and see if you can create a chain of title for 50 years back.

If you are still game, I'd recommend looking for part-time in-house work with a title company until you are able to know for sure that you know what you are doing (i.e, experience with someone looking over your work._ It's serious business.

I will retrieve a public record, but I don't call myself an abstractor. I make it known that I am not insured for this type of work. But I do pick up a few jobs here and there that are straight forward "go get a deed for us" type of work.

One company that gives out a few assignments in this line of work is

http://www.contemporaryrealty.com/

Reply by Joe/nc on 11/23/04 1:59pm
Msg #11929

Hi Becky

I saw your post and was curious what part of NC you cover. I am in the metro Charlotte area and have made contact with a few signing agents in surrounding areas to share leads and try to market ourselves more broadly.
Email me and let me know if you dont mind
[e-mail address]

Joe/nc

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.