Notary Rotary
NEWBIE DOES WELL, I THINK
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to November, 2004 Index

Posted by ANONYMOUS/MD on 11/1/04 10:15am
Msg #10712

I made $750 doing closings last week. Is this good or can i do better?

Reply by Ted_MI on 11/1/04 10:56am
Msg #10713

Sounds good to me. So how many did you do?

Reply by ANONYMOUS on 11/1/04 11:20am
Msg #10715

FIVE LOANS

Reply by nicole on 11/1/04 11:25am
Msg #10716

Hi --

Any newbie tips to another newbie. I'm in Maine and just getting started. I've been a notary for 14+ years and would like to get started in this business. I purchased a scanner, copier, printer last week and I have high speed internet email access. What did you do to get your name out there? I'm having a hard time finding companies that do this type of work in Maine. Any tips woudl be greatly appreciated.

Reply by ANONYMOUS on 11/1/04 11:41am
Msg #10718

I cut out the middle man and went straight to the title companies in my area. This way I don't have to print docs myself.

Reply by Ted_MI on 11/1/04 1:22pm
Msg #10725

I figured when you only indicated five signings that you must have been working with title companies. So did you have some significant background so you felt comfortable starting out with title compnaies, and if so what sort of background?

By way of (my) background, my first refinancing signing was done through a title company, as some close personal friends had requested my services. (I had just done HELOC's prior to that time). I spent a lot of time reviewing the documents and asked a lot of questions (hopefully most of them reasonably intelligent). As it turned out the package was fine and the title company was rather pleased. So that was good news.

Reply by ANONYMOUS on 11/1/04 2:00pm
Msg #10727

I sat with a friend on a few refi's then I went through the documents on my home extensively. The title company was pretty pleased. Asked me if I wanted to do signings full time. I'm not ready for that yet.

Reply by Loretta/MD on 11/2/04 8:04am
Msg #10752

I'm glad that you don't have to print docs yourself. I do signings for at least 20 title companies exclusively in Maryland and 90% if them are email docs.

Reply by Ted_MI on 11/1/04 6:46pm
Msg #10739

Nicole,

Don't just focus on companies that operate in Maine. There are many signing companies with a national focus. I would suggest, among other things, becoming a premier member of notaryrotary and then checking out the company list and contacting the companies with high ratings. And focus on your strong points not the fact that you are a newbie signing agent. Heh, you have been a notary for 14+ years. Focus on that and other presumed virtues and attributes.

Reply by Nicole on 11/2/04 1:44pm
Msg #10773

Thanks Ted.

I have some "old" contacts that left the firm I used to work for and now basically just do title work. I think I may start to make some phone calls. On the Title Companies that I don't have contacts with - would you suggest I make some cold calls. I've been in the legal field for 15+ years - some of that at a large Financial Holding Company so I am very familiar with loan documents. Before my life at the Financial Holding Company I worked for a law firm and assisted with closings for the State of Maine Program for small business and also did foreclosure work. I think I would be comfortable with the documents, it's just getting the business I'm having trouble with.

Thanks for your tips!

Reply by Ted_MI on 11/2/04 4:18pm
Msg #10792

Hi Nicole,

You are welcome. Well, one of the first things I would do is just skip trying to work for signing companies. For many it is a rite of passage; they really need the experience first before attempting to work for title companies. Because as others have said if you screw up with a title company, you can kiss that title company good bye (as far as future work). I put myself to some extent in that category (needing a little more work with signing companies). You don't (need the experience); you already have a very substantial background.

What you need is a game plan. Here is what I would do. There is an email publication I would purchase. It is by Victoria Ring. Now I know many posters are critical of her, and I believe that many of their criticisms are quite valid. However, this had many very valuable tips and pointers. It is not very expensive. It is entitled "How a Signing Agent Can Earn More Money Working directly for Mortgage and Title Companies". Her web site is as follows:

http:www.50statenotary.com

I am sure that the publication can be obtained form the website. And it isn't real long either - about fifteen pages at most. But it contains a lot of very good ideas, which I hope to utilize later on. Best wishes.

Reply by BrendaTX on 11/2/04 10:00pm
Msg #10814

Said Ted: "What you need is a game plan. Here is what I would do. There is an email publication I would purchase. It is by Victoria Ring. Now I know many posters are critical of her, and I believe that many of their criticisms are quite valid. However, this had many very valuable tips and pointers. It is not very expensive. It is entitled "How a Signing Agent Can Earn More Money Working directly for Mortgage and Title Companies". Her web site is as follows:

http:www.50statenotary.com

I am sure that the publication can be obtained form the website. And it isn't real long either - about fifteen pages at most. But it contains a lot of very good ideas, which I hope to utilize later on. Best wishes."

I also endorse this publication by Victoria Ring.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.