Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Sorry if it seem's like I am spamming but...
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to November, 2004 Index

Posted by William Soronen on 11/18/04 5:36pm
Msg #11623

Well, I received my first contact tonight...but it wasnt a call.
I received this very vague E-mail request asking how much it
would cost for two signatures on a doc (unspecified) for someone
who lives within 5 miles of me.

WOW...I am a little creeped out by this and I'll tell you why.
1) Only a few people have my business card and this individual is not
one of them, and I have only started giving them out since yesterday!
So a referral seems unlikely.

2) It sure doesnt sound like someone who acessed this website and
found my info...after all if it isnt a loan doc, why would someone have
come here to find an aknowledgement signer...and this is the only
place other than signingagent.com I have posted info on.

3) how in the gosh-durned world would this guy know that he lives
within 5 miles of my location?...

I am a little spooked, but maybe I shouldnt have watched silence of the lambs
last night.

I E-mailed him back and asked him to tell me what exactly ARE the doc's he
needs witnessed and told him it would be a $10.00 travel fee. hadnt actually
thought about what I should charge if anything for standard notary travel fees,
honestly I never thought it would come up since I dont advertise as a Notary Public.
He asked me so I told him. Basically I was hoping that he would be scared away by
having to pay $30.00 in total depending on what the Doc is, and would go away and quit
scaring me.

Does anyone else charge a travel fee for standard notarizations if they are called to go
to someones place of business or residence?...Should I or shouldnt I?

Regards

WRS

Reply by BarbaraL_CA on 11/18/04 5:44pm
Msg #11625

Business is business. Did you ask this person how he got your name? Did you ask if he was referred to you by someone? Do you have a website and did he find you there? I do alot of general notarizations around town and charge for the travel in addition to the notary fee(s). In fact I did that today for a Trust and charged $220 ($40 for travel (77 miles round trip) plus $10 per signature per document (total of 18 signatures over 7 documents). It adds up. I'd go ahead and do it once you find out how he came upon your business and if you're comfortable with it.

Reply by Tk on 11/18/04 6:39pm
Msg #11634

We are in business

William, this is how we all make money. We are in business for ourselves.
Hey, let this be one of those lessons we all have to learn --- and after you do a few
you will be able to see if you will want to adjust your fees.
It's all a learning curve --- we've all gone through the same thing.
And let me add, most of us have gotten stung by unethical companies (meaning they
didn't pay for our Signing).

Don't feel bad for asking questions, there are some really helpful people here.

Reply by Roger/OH on 11/18/04 6:59pm
Msg #11636

William...

First of all, put your state with your name so we have an idea of where you're coming from.

Be sure and check the particular rules of your state regarding travel fees; they range from very strict to very liberal around the country. Sounds like you might be in CA. In Ohio, I'd be limited to a max of $2 per acknowledgement, but would charge an additional $10 for that 10 miles of roundtrip travel. There are all kinds of ways he might've found you, but as was mentioned, you're in business to do business! Don't blow him off, as he may prove a good referral for you. If you feel uncomfortable, offer to meet him in a neutral location like a McDonalds.

Reply by CaliNotary on 11/18/04 7:13pm
Msg #11638

William, I don't mean this to be as rude as it sounds, but stop being such a worrywart. You're spooked because you got a call for notary services? Oy. I've gotten several calls from "regular people" who found me on this site and need a notarization. It happens.

Travelling to people's homes is what we pretty much all do on a regular basis. If you're not comfortable with that you've definitely ended up in the wrong line of work.

And yes, definitely charge a travel fee if you travel!

Reply by Anonymous on 11/18/04 7:39pm
Msg #11642

Well the reason I was asking the should I or shouldnt I question for travel fee for standard aknowledgement fee was: My sate claims it is a moral and ethical question. No law against or for...but it should be left to your "sense of ethics".

And I guess reading back on that ; it did seem like I am a worrywart...hehe...not true though...just very amazed that someone sent me an E-mail within 24 hours of handing some business cards to friends only....that was actually the point I was trying (failed) to makeSmiley

Oh yes...I am from CA...and ty for making me feel welcome here folks.

Regards

WRS

Reply by calipat on 11/18/04 9:38pm
Msg #11654

My first call to do a notarization was from someone who found me online. I don't know if it was this one or some other site its been awhile. I asked where he found me and he told me so I went out an did it. Maybe Silence of the Lambs was a movie you should have never watched if you get freaked out that easliy...LOL!! Anyway if you are comfortable after asking where he got your info then I hope you charge him appropriately.

Reply by Anonymous on 11/19/04 10:56am
Msg #11686

The individual could have gotten your name and info from anywhere. It is possible that someone you gave your card to did, in fact, refer you. It's a small world and if you gave your card to 5 people and those 5 people knew even 1 person in need of notary services ... and that's where the ball gets rolling. It's also possible that someone saw your postings here.

As for knowing you are so close in proximity -- you've listed your full name. It's possible that someone, somehow, found your name and looked you up in the phone book or on the internet.

Remember, you are a notary first and a signing agent second. As such, you will come in contact with docs that aren't necessarily loan docs. As has been pointed out, check with travel fees allowed in your state -- are there guidelines or caps on travel? Make sure you find out how much you can charge for general notarizations. Some states allow you to charge for each signature in a document and other states only allow a flat per document charge.

"Going to the people" is what being a mobile notary is about. Would you feel more comfortable with them coming to you?

Good luck.

Reply by CarolynCO on 11/19/04 10:59am
Msg #11687

I'm not trying to be anonymous. I didn't even realize the Anonymous author had defaulted.

Reply by BrendaTX on 11/19/04 4:14pm
Msg #11702

My two cents worth:

First, get a sure-footed Texas Cow Dog to run security at your place. They are dilligent, loving, but ferocious barkers. Mine won't put up with any email stalkers or husky phone callers checking prices. She'll take 'em right down. I used to pack two chihuahuas and a six-shooter, but have upgraded to the full enchilada - a small, but stocky cow dog.

Next, if it bothers you who the email came from, get the IP from the headers and go to

http://www.geobytes.com/IpLocator.htm?GetLocation

or try

http://www.ip2location.com/free.asp

Plug in the IP and get a general location. That will be interesting, unless it's an AOL IP, but even then, you can sometimes determine general vicinity of the country.

If you don't know what the heck I mean by IP, use my link, go to my home page and use the BoldChat button. (I am in for the afternoon.) I will be glad to chat with you about it.

It might be competition checking your prices, or it might be someone who really needs a job done.

If you have put your email on any forum, that is how they got your info perhaps. Try not to worry about it.

Now, about pricing:

For a job like you have described, one affidavit within a ten minute trip is $25. I have a good business doing this type of work.

I had two today and have two for Monday, in the same office, no less. No muss, no mess - zip zap and you are done.

These are so nice because they don't require big chunks of time you cannot control on your schedule. You set the times. That's one reason I only charge $25. They are gravy.

I have some other little charges I might add on to that for additional services. I used to charge $35 for one affidavit, but decided to drop it down to get all the business I can in my area and I move up from the $25 mark if extras are required.

BTW - Texas allow $4-$6 for these notarizations per click of the stamp.

--------
I miss my friend, Hugh, on the forums. I hope life takes a good turn for him soon and he reappears to shoot holes at anything I post. It's just too "vanilla" here without him harrassing me. :(

Reply by Carolyn Bodley on 11/19/04 4:37pm
Msg #11706

Re: Calling HisHughness -- oh where, oh where can he be

Brenda sighs "I miss my friend, Hugh, on the forums. I hope life takes a good turn for him soon and he reappears to shoot holes at anything I post. It's just too "vanilla" here without him harrassing me. :( "

Do you think we should start up an IP thread again? If that won't get him participating, nothing will. <g>

Reply by BrendaTX on 11/19/04 4:46pm
Msg #11709

My thoughts exactly! Let's get really technical and that should bring him up for air. I am going to email him the relevant posts here.

We have lost Hugh for a reason other than why we have lost Sylvia and "sue" and some others who are going into the bunkers. Or maybe we didn't. Don't know exactly why he's not surfaced lately. If anything will bring him up, a good ol' fashioned IP discussion will, that's for sure.

It's our loss, when we lose the help and insight from the experience, or the humor, or the quick logic that they possessed.

Sniffle.

Reply by CarolynCO on 11/19/04 4:52pm
Msg #11710

I hope he is OK and that his lovely, soon-to-be X hasn't bonked him in the head, or worse yet, feather and tarred him.

Reply by HisHughness on 11/20/04 12:25am
Msg #11733

CarolynCO muses:

***I hope he is OK and that his lovely, soon-to-be X hasn't bonked him in the head, or worse yet, feather and tarred him.***

We have on occasion been known to employ a feather or two, though not of late. Well...WE haven't employed the feather recently; whether SHE has is an open question. As for the tar, that sounds decidedly icky, though I am reminded of a woman to whom I was married several generations ago who developed psoriasis. The best treatment for that affliction at that time was an extract of coal tar, which she added to her bath water. She would emerge from the tub smelling like 10 miles of freshly laid Interstate.

Sorry I've been absent. I moved Monday, and only today got internet service. I am still without phone service, except for my cell phone. All of which actually has been beneficial. I've had time to lick my wounds and contemplate God's perfidy in ever creating two sexes. Right now, I think that anything that smacks of estrogen should be rounded up, fattened up, and staked out for the nearest pack of jackals to dine on -- preferably starting with that vicious tongue.

What has happened to Sylvia? Someone mentioned that she has left the barnyard.

Reply by CarolynCO on 11/20/04 12:48pm
Msg #11763

Hugh reminisces "I am reminded of a woman to whom I was married several generations ago"

Ol' glasseye!! See, I do pay attention.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.