Notary Rotary
TexNotary Newsletter
Notary Discussion History

TexNotary Newsletter
Go Back to November, 2004 Index

Posted by BrendaTX on 11/28/04 6:45pm
Msg #12150

TexNotary Newsletter

My first newsletter is finally out for all those who expressed an interest. I will be emailing you but in case I overlook anyone, it's at

http://texnotarynewsletter.blogspot.com/

I doubt that Harry will mind that I post this here because I am giving away the MoJo as part of a New Notary Challenge in the newsletter.

Thanks, Brenda

Reply by Susie_OH on 11/28/04 8:22pm
Msg #12153

Checked out your newsletter. It is really nice. Keep up the good work. (I also subscribed) For some reason after reading it I got hungry.

Reply by Della_Ca on 11/28/04 8:29pm
Msg #12154

I was wondering why I had the urge to go get popcorn.
Keep up the good work!!

Reply by kmnotary_CA on 11/28/04 8:37pm
Msg #12155

Brenda,
I liked your newsletter, where do you get the time for all? I just might go for that challange, but is it fair to read all the old posts, as I think I have read most of them?

Reply by BrendaTX on 11/28/04 9:45pm
Msg #12160

About the "Challenge" - You should read anything you want to read! The purpose of the challenge is to make it a little bit worthwhile to dust off the dry notary rules and read them...or anything else to help you clarify the notary rules of your state in your mind.

Honestly, folks, until I became an NSA and was without the guidance of an attorney to give me answers on my notarial activities, I had lots to learn. I dug in and learned all I could reading all of the posts on this very forum first. I STILL learn every day from you guys and from your questions.

BTW - If someone asked, or thought there were others, it's my first newsletter.

Why I do this seemingly 24/7 work is pretty much to pursue success as a self-employed person.

The purpose of a publisher’s newsletter is more than just to be chatty.

It serves several purposes for me, and I will be very frank. I don't do this just to be a "good guy."

1-By nature, I enjoy helping people and feeling useful. I have an empty nest, and therefore, an Empty Nest Syndrome in full bloom. My chicks are all gone, for the most part, and the one still pecking in my barnyard regularly is not interested in my help. I just like to help--makes me have a way to give back while I pursue my goals. So, that's a bit of a dual purpose, and it's not totally altruistic.

2-It's self-promotion, and in our business, we need to self-promote. I am not a good salesman. I wish I was, but I am really timid in a lot of ways. Once I get confident in my ability to communicate in writing to my peers, I will get a little bit more bold and use what I learn from you to find other avenues of income.

3-I will eventually encourage other things that will help my website via newsletter. Such as reciprocal links and getting some of you writing notaries to help me with content. Hopefully, we'll exchange content and boost our mutual websites ratings through the exchange of good content.

About where do I find the time...my empty nest could be something to depress me, or it could be a time to use it for achieving goals that I have long had on the back burner. Being self-employed is my primary goal and I get grouchy when that’s infringed upon.

I give very little time up to pursuing personal relationships or other things that would take away from my business. My mom is in great health, and my kiddos are grown. I am using this window of time as an opportunity to achieve the things I could not for many years.

Until one of my family needs me, Miss Notary Dog and you guys are pretty much my favorite companions.

Crazy thing about being self-employed and without a spouse...people tend to find your time should be their time. I work a lot on my projects, hobbies, doing my inspections, signings other notary work and marketing. I hate it when one of my friends or family members decides that it would be nice just to come and visit so WE can go shopping, or THEY can go to a game here in town. It sounds selfish, I realize, but it makes me crazy to drop what I am doing and to get ready for company tomorrow night.

And, I hate to shop. I go on “buying trips,” BUT I am not a shopper. I love my family and friends but have finally learned that they certainly do what they like to do. I don’t recall in any of them taking a day off from a job or favorite endeavor just because I was bored and wanted to visit RIGHT THEN...just because I SEEM to be available doesn't mean I don't have plans on an ongoing basis. Spending time alone, for me, is not to be lonely. It's usually being very productive. I am busier than anyone I know!

Hmmm...sounds like I need to write a little something on not letting others steal your time away~~!

Thanks for the encouragement, folks.

Reply by HisHughness on 11/28/04 11:28pm
Msg #12169

Brenda/TX warned:

***Crazy thing about being self-employed and without a spouse...people tend to find your time should be their time. I work a lot on my projects, hobbies, doing my inspections, signings other notary work and marketing. I hate it when one of my friends or family members decides that it would be nice just to come and visit so WE can go shopping, or THEY can go to a game here in town.***

I can understand that, Brenda. You >>should<< make yourself plain. I'm really grateful that as a really really close friend, all that stuff doesn't apply to me. In fact, I was thinking of making a long-delayed trip to Bryan-College Station Wednesday. Thought you could spot me dinner and we could take in an Aggie basketball game (Darn! I've already forgotten the score of that Longhorn-Aggie end-of-the-season Thanksgiving football game. What was it? 26-13 Longhorns? Something like that, wasn't it? And seems I read somewhere that was the fifth straight victory by the Longhorns over the Aggies?) Do you have an unoccupied couch long enough to sleep on? And, just a word to the wise, I like Eggs Benedict for breakfast.

Reply by BrendaTX on 11/29/04 12:52am
Msg #12176

The Warden said: "What was it? 26-13 Longhorns?"

Mr. Hughness, I am so glad you are back cracking the whip. I was getting so out of control!

Ok...I know when I am beat...

The Aggies couldn't have lost to a better group.
It's just that darned "poor Aggie" song that I find difficult to endure.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.