Notary Rotary
one last question: obtaining Photo ID copy URGENT
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to November, 2004 Index

Posted by Anonymous on 11/30/04 5:51pm
Msg #12351

my HUD was finally sent to me! now the instructions read I have to obtain copies of the photo ID. Is this normal? I don't have a portable copymachine! Does that mean I hav to run back home to my office with the ID's, and go back to return the ID's??

Reply by Courtney on 11/30/04 6:07pm
Msg #12353

No, normally you would ask the borrower in advanced to have a copy of their photo id copied and ready for you.

Reply by CarolynCO on 11/30/04 8:28pm
Msg #12373

I agree. In my initial call to Borrower(s) I tell them that I need them to make a copy of drivers license(s) before I arrive. I'm finding that more and more Title/loan companies are requesting copies of SS cards, too, so I've begun telling them I need a copy, as well. If after getting the package I see that I don't need the SS copy, I tell the Borrower(s) the shred the copy themself, or if they've copied everything on one page, I just go ahead and send it back with the package.

Reply by Ted_MI on 11/30/04 6:08pm
Msg #12355

Can't say whether this is normal or not. However, I was confronted the middle of last week with this exact same situation in a last minute signing. However, the title company (or conceivably the signing company) had already communicated to the borrowers that they should provide photocopies of their id's to me. So no I don't believe you will have to run back home to your office. They should have them on hand.

Reply by mike/ca on 11/30/04 6:59pm
Msg #12357

usually if this is a last min thing the title co will accept that the borrower make copies and have them fax or fed-ex them overnite

Reply by lorraine/fl on 11/30/04 7:50pm
Msg #12368

I try and get the borrowers to have a copy of ID upfront as well, but if they don't I carry my digital camera and take the shots myself. Before I started carrying my camera with me I had one borrower that had to run down to the corner store and get a copy.

Reply by Joan Bergstrom on 12/1/04 1:04am
Msg #12395

Re: How advanced does the digital camera need to be?

How sophiticated of a digital camera do you need to take a photo of their Driver's license. I know very little about cameras and would a camera in one of the newer cell phones be able to shoot a picture of the license and download so you could read the printout?

I suspect you need something better than this type of cell phone digital camera? Can anyone suggest a model that will work?

Reply by Joan-OH on 12/1/04 8:10am
Msg #12401

Camera's

I had to replace my broken digital last year and went out and got the cheapest one I could find ($80). I had to return it and upgrade to something a little more ($130). To take pictures of ID, your camera needs to have a "macro" mode. Mine can take clear pictures as close as 8" away. The first camera I had to be at least 20" aways - which doesn't make for a very clear picture.

The reason I mention this is because if you get the wrong camera, they don't like to take a return because of the software issues. I exchanged and they made an exception.

Joan-OH

Reply by janCA on 12/1/04 10:43am
Msg #12417

Re: ID's

I always ask for a copy of their ID when I call for confirmation of the signing. If they forget to provide one, I will have them fax it to me ASAP.

Reply by Angela Espinosa on 12/1/04 12:19pm
Msg #12422

I know that when the borrowers do not have copies, I can execute an ID affadavit, saying that I have identified them using legal ID for our state of California.

It seems to work. Anyone else agree

Reply by Mortgage Closers of San Antonio - Kenneth C Whitton Jr on 12/1/04 7:17pm
Msg #12483

I always complete the ID certificate in compliance with the Patriot Act. I also ask the borrowers to copy their ID before the appointment. If they forget to do so and there is a copier near, I will go make the copy and return their ID and SS card. If there is no machine near, I will ask that they copy and contact me to provide that to me ASAP. I explain to them that the title company and/or lender requests the copies so that they may be in compliance with all Federal regulations. Most borrowers have always been able to copy their ID and SS card before the appointment.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.